1974 340?

-

dhrma41

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I just cleaned up what I thought was a 318 that I pulled from my 67 Dart. It is stamped 340 in 2 different spots with a date code Jan 1974. Since the engine wasn't offered, as far as I know, in 1974 I'm at a loss. Only thought I have is that it could possibly be a replacement block they made in early 74 but that is only a guess. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

PXL_20240329_155122307.jpg

PXL_20240329_155016298.jpg

PXL_20240329_145041599.jpg

I agree with Dano, get the numbers off the machined pad to identify.

If it has a vin number, it my be from a Canadian dart.

Interesting. 2536030 is a 67-75 318 casting number. Boat motor?
That's what I'm thinkin'. Chrysler marine kept using 340s for a couple years after the vehicle divisions quit. I would think Mopar had to keep 340s in stock for warrantee purposes for another 3-5 years or so after discontinuation, and Direct Connection had the bare blocks for years...

Still would like to know if there's a vin on the pan rail. What heads are on it?

Rarely someone shows me something I haven't seen this my friend I have never seen before wow if it's a marine 340 there should be certain style heads

Rarely someone shows me something I haven't seen this my friend I have never seen before wow if it's a marine 340 there should be certain style head

Rarely someone shows me something I haven't seen this my friend I have never seen before wow if it's a marine 340 there should be certain style heads
Appreciate the help, motor had 360 heads. I was told it was a 318 when I bought the car. Was pleasantly surprised when I found these markings but raised more questions.

No, need to pick up a mic
You can pick up a pair of calibers that work
well at Harbor Freight or similar place for a
very low investment compared to a set of Mics.
I always bring then parts hunting!
They have saved me numerous blunders!

You can pick up a pair of calibers that work
well at Harbor Freight or similar place for a
very low investment compared to a set of Mics.
I always bring then parts hunting!
They have saved me numerous blunders!
Appreciate that, definitely on my list next time I'm at Harbor Freight.

I dont think anyone has messed with the stamping. That stamp looks 100% correct font. Post a better pic of the casting number. The 340 used 360 heads the last couple years so that is normal. Did it have a windage tray in it?
In a pinch you can use telescoping gauge and calipers to measure the bore. Gets you close enough to tell what you have.

somebody stamped 340 on the front of it. It’s the only number u can see and very clear at that. Since the op doesn’t post anything else I suspect he did it to get attention

I have had 340s that were cast in 1977. Chrysler had to fulfill warranty obligations. Plus they were used in boats and off road/heavy equipment. Kim
Thank you for the answer, that's the only thing I can think of is warranty block, possibly a marine but not sold on that.

I dont think anyone has messed with the stamping. That stamp looks 100% correct font. Post a better pic of the casting number. The 340 used 360 heads the last couple years so that is normal. Did it have a windage tray in it?
In a pinch you can use telescoping gauge and calipers to measure the bore. Gets you close enough to tell what you have.
Appreciate that, I have a bunch of investigating to do this week from all the great suggestions I received here. I cleaned this and some other blocks up to finally clean the garage out and get rid of stuff since I'm, well, aging, lol. The year threw me off so wanted to see if I can figure out what it is before I try to sell it to someone.

It's a 318 block casting. No way they would make a 340 out of it. They would use the 340 block casting.

-
Back