1975 snake pit duster.

-

bayyum

Reaction score
welll, lets start off, i am 15, a frequent quader, and a a-body freak!8)
the story starts

one day, i was at my neighbors, for a cup of coffee, when my neighbor started talking about a yellow car he found a while back, he found it on a little quad trip, so my curiousity takes me out to see this car, not that easy.. it's on a side trail, which is incredibly hard to find, if you're looking for it, thats one full day gone, the day after i finally find the trail, which leads me down another trail, to this yellow, 1975 duster :) i start freaking out, because i love dusters, and it's like my dads, and i look up to him so much, so im freaking out, making all these plans for this duster, then it hits me :stop:, how to get it out. GREAT! i figured that i would pull it out with my honda 300. didnt work, we tried a 350, didnt work, and on august 3rd we are trying a 300 and a 350. but, anyways. that is the story of how i found my first car, first project, first mopar, and my first a-body.

the bad things are, that its very rusty, no engine or transmission, drum brakes, manual steering, and it is sunk in soft dirt, http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/bayyum/ if you have any idea's of how we should get it out, help would be appreciated

ask questions. please !

Not sure how your going to get it out of there Mike. Did you put aired up tires on it yet? That should help a ton. I wish you luck though.

a shovel or two and some planks, dig down to the bottom of the tires and give them some room to move. be careful if its very rusty as i've seen guys split cars in half from trying to pull them out of the ground. if its that close to the ground the frame is probably horribly rusty. oh yeah your probably going to need a chainsaw too.

IMO the more important question is, is this car worth all the work? pics say no way. no offense, but it looks like a basket case or at best a parts car. i know you are 15 and enthusiastic, but remember all good things come to those who wait. my advice is to keep looking for your dream car, this one looks like a TON of work and $$$ to resurrect.
-Tim

that car is too far gone unless it was a hemi car.a parts car would be a better start. jmho

IMO the more important question is, is this car worth all the work? pics say no way. no offense, but it looks like a basket case or at best a parts car. i know you are 15 and enthusiastic, but remember all good things come to those who wait. my advice is to keep looking for your dream car, this one looks like a TON of work and $$$ to resurrect.
-Tim

I am going to agree with Tim on this one. :-|

a 10 ton chain hoist connected to a big enough tree as high as you can anchor it. this would lift it as it pulled it.once its loose free the drums up andpull it with a quad

Not to be a kill joy, but you'll probably split the car in half trying to tow it out of there #-o. And my guess is that the frame rails are shot too.

Again, not to rain on your parade, but there's several thousand dollars just in sheet metal repair alone in that car. Just for the cost of the replacement panels you could probably buy a nice Duster that you could drive home. That's more than a serious project, thats a full on resurrection.

Anyway, your enthusiasm is awesome! But I think you'd be way better off saving up a little money and getting something more do-able, that duster would be a handful even for the best restoration shop.

i was afraid everyone was going to say that, but i guess i will just leave it there, that kinda breaks my heart. but, one day when im rich... :) thanks anyways guys

shoot i would drag it out and use it for a parts car the roof skin looks okay and im sure there is a bunch of nuts and bolts you can always use and it might even have an 8 3/4 in it but who does the car belong to if they left it there and you just go get it. its kinda like stealing clean up around it and see if ANY thing is salvageable if so it would be great parts for your future car

i was afraid everyone was going to say that, but i guess i will just leave it there, that kinda breaks my heart. but, one day when im rich... :) thanks anyways guys

No need to be rich, I've seen plenty of later model (74/75) dusters and darts go for around $1000. Heck, there's a running '74 Dart with a /6 in it down here for $1,700 right now. I'd bet you could get it to Canada for less than it would cost to replace the frame rails and floors in that Duster.

Save up a little cash and keep an eye on Craiglist, eBay and the local paper. :-D I bought the '71 Dart GT on the right of my signature for under 500 bucks. You just have to pick your battles is all.

Maybe you can find someone on the board that's a little closer to you that could help you out? I'm always looking for mopars, but I don't know anything about importing a car into Canada from the US, and California is a long way from Prince George!

lol yea 72blu, and 1qwikscamp, no one owns it, the person i talked to, didnt even know it was there.

Can you get a 4wd bronco or something back there to yank it out?

Sounds like fun and a good story especially if you have pics to back it up.

Hell, you only live once, yank that sucker out and don't get hurt, and if you tear the car in half at least you can make two light trips.LOL.

lol, i like your thinkin, my friend has a little mazda b2200, he might be able to help with, or a could use my dads 05 f350, he would be happy with me after that

I would take the time to strip every part you can and save them for a more rebuildable car. There are good parts on that car. Once you start buying some of those parts you will know what I'm talking about. Hell, it may have a 8 1/4 or better under the rear end......there is one right?

yes there is one, an update already, i just hand cut all the tree's that are in my way to get it out, and started digging, tommorow, hopefully i will be done all the digging, the time to bring out the chains :)

i would probably just strip it where its at and leave all tthe junk that way you wont have to dispose of it

all i want out of it though is the interior, and axles, and i cant get the axles out where it is right now

its not really worth, but i could probably get like $50 for it, so im not complaining :) and that $50 would go towards an A-body project

Wonder how it got there? I suppose it was not as over-grown back when, but it still was probably interesting. Maybe it was joy rided back there, and stripped over the years?
Another thought to be aware of: Maybe it's stolen. Yikes!

pull it out. something to do lol. and u can sell it for junk metal if nothing else. i bet you can find a part or two that you can sell. if i had the opportunity i would do it in a heart beat.

every person in the thread says something true .. i dont want to mess up your thread but listen ,, if theres one persone out there who can really understand you its me ... i bought a severely rusted 74 cuda ,, back in the days .. in 2001 , i was only 16 and i was crazy for saving it .. you are like on .. being on a mission , now the car is a big award winner here in montreal , i have more than 10 major ncca 1st place trophies and the car as been in magazines and passed on tv bla bla bla ..

but still , i love this car , its a true big story for me , but personnaly if i could return in time , i dont know if i will do it again .. i think the best thing to do is to remove the car carrefuly and take the best piece that you can , and if you are really serious about your choice ( a-bodie car ) then save up some money and with few thousand ( 5 k ) you can find a verry sharp and solid car that maybe is rare too ! i bought my 76 , 360 duster w/ sunroof for 6 k but the car is like 1 of 2 or a handful , imagine ... looks stupid but believe it or not it will have more value than the cuda that i builted few years ago and where i invested more than 60 k myself from 16 to 21 year old , im btw im not rich , i was possesed i think . its like a drug its a nice passion but think about your things first ,, got in the best direction for you ! DO IT , THE RIGHT WAY !!! enjoy your trip man.. and i just wish that you could live your dream !

Joe Campisi

VEK.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

CRW_3884.jpg

ScampRats071.jpg

ScampRats046.jpg

JAC2007086.jpg

-
Back