273 - 273 Commando

-
hi, the two barrel 273 had 8.8 comp ratio. if you cut the block to the min deck height, you will have .011 down, cut the heads to 57.3 cc, and with a .028 gasket, final will be 9.2 ratio. these are mopars blueprint specs for the 180 /273. just food for thought.

hi, the two barrel 273 had 8.8 comp ratio. if you cut the block to the min deck height, you will have .011 down, cut the heads to 57.3 cc, and with a .028 gasket, final will be 9.2 ratio. these are mopars blueprint specs for the 180 /273. just food for thought.

If you do all this machine work to the block, won't you have to machine the intake to fit? If so, how much will you have to take off?

OK.
I heard back from Egge.
Cast piston and pin set - $340.00
Rings $62.25

Or I can go with a forged piston from Flatlanders.
Forged piston and pins - $749

So what will the extra $400 for forged pistons do for me?
If I go cast should I get everything balanced?

Thanks again.

I would play it safe and balance it with which ever piston you use. I was told the stock HP pistons are cast so the weights should be close.

As Toolman suggested balance it no matter what. The 273 is all about RPM and you don't want it out of balance at the RPMs where it makes it's power.

I agree with Perfacar. As I remember you have to mill the block side of the heads .040 to get down to minimum cc. That also means you need to mill the intake side .038. Ballancing is well worth the money, in smoothness (less wasted motion) and longevity.

-
Back