273 2v with EGR valve???

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
My 65 dart has a 273 engine. The guy I bought it from said it was original engine. What I'm trying to figure out is the intake. It's a 2 barrel but has an EGR valve. I don't think that is correct on a 65 273. Any ideas?

Nope. No EGR's in '65. Must be a later intake. Not to be insulting here, but, are you sure it's an EGR valve?...Not a PCV?, or C.A.P. valve?...Just askin'......

Got any pics?

Def. no EGR valve in 65. They didn't start showing up until 72 on certain engines. Also, 65 273 could not use the later EGR manifolds because of the bolt hole arrangement on the early engines. You've probably got a 318 in there. If you are after visual correctness, I've got a 66 273 manifold that will bolt right on. PM me if you might be interested.

it is cast in the side of the block (casting number)-273-x etc, but there are also numbers stamped on the front left cyl just under the head.

If its a later model dual plane intake I would bleck the EGR port and run it.
It will perform better than the correct manifold.

It's a stinking 2 barrel. I want a 4 barrel on it. Not so much for performance, but so i can buy the dress-up stuff for it. Chromeing out a 2 barrel is kinda like kissing your sister, just something wrong with that!

it is cast in the side of the block (casting number)-273-x etc.
In 1965 the casting number did not have "273". That was later, and maybe only started with the 318. I have two 65 blocks.

The OP definitely needs to find what heads he has before buying an intake manifold since the bolt hole angles and size changed in 66+.

It's a stinking 2 barrel. I want a 4 barrel on it. Not so much for performance, but so i can buy the dress-up stuff for it. Chromeing out a 2 barrel is kinda like kissing your sister, just something wrong with that!

Pics of the sister are required before rendering a judgement on that. lol

OK, here is what I found so far.
# on right side of block makes no sense.
# on left side of block 2465330 2
# on front of block below left head A 273-6-4

You can see the EGR valve under the carb spring.

Attachments

• BATTLESHIP 2013 010 (Small).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 295
There is no doubt that is a late manifold with EGR

NOW what you have to determine is "what" for certain heads are on the car, as the manifold bolts/ angles changed in ??65??

What size are the intake bolt heads?

I wont scratch the motor with my caliper but that does look like a 9/16 hex on the bolt head and a late model bolt angle too. My quarter bet is later model heads and intake.
And by the way... that throttle pressure linkage doesn't have a free return slot so it could hold the throttle open. It should go in the garbage.

the stamping on the left front of the block will tell.

In 1965 the casting number did not have "273". That was later, and maybe only started with the 318. I have two 65 blocks.

The OP definitely needs to find what heads he has before buying an intake manifold since the bolt hole angles and size changed in 66+.

9/16" wrench takes the bolts out.

And by the way... that throttle pressure linkage doesn't have a free return slot so it could hold the throttle open. It should go in the garbage.

Could you show me a correct one?

You have the correct '65 K/D linkage...sliding link showed up later on.

4bbl '65 linkage....

attachment.php

I didn't say it isn't correct only pointing out its unsafe in design.
9\16 is 3\8 bolt which is 66 up. the earlier nearly straight down bolts were 5\16 requiring 1\2 hex/wrench

-
Back