273 4 barrel manifold questions

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Thinking of putting a 4 barrel on my 67 273, 2 barrel Going to a swap meet next weekend and wondering if anybody can give me the numbers to look for on a cast iron manifold, will also be looking for a edelbrock ld4b. Not very hopeful about finding something, but you never know, besides it gives me an excuse to go to the swap meet.
Thanks
Aaron

Oop's my bad. I found casting numbers in the tech section.

Also, don't eliminate an SP2P if you find one....a very good torque manifold for the 273...

Attachments

• SP2P intake.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 397
2536563 is the 66 and 67 4 barrell intake. 2536771 is the California intake number. The California intake just has a port that can be plugged.

Also, don't eliminate an SP2P if you find one....a very good torque manifold for the 273...

Skip this manifold unless your looking for mileage.
Been there done that still own one.

Skip this manifold unless your looking for mileage.
Been there done that still own one.

Disagree with that. Don't "skip it".....I've had a few, and they are great, for a small, basically stock engine...small runners = great torque. Certainly better than the stock cast iron lump or a Streetmaster

I'm sitting on a SP2P myself. A 273/318 with stock gears running between 2500/5000rpm's would love it. Now, if I could just afford a car to put it on...:banghead:.

Thinking of putting a 4 barrel on my 67 273, 2 barrel Going to a swap meet next weekend and wondering if anybody can give me the numbers to look for on a cast iron manifold, will also be looking for a edelbrock ld4b. Not very hopeful about finding something, but you never know, besides it gives me an excuse to go to the swap meet.
Thanks
Aaron

Oop's my bad. I found casting numbers in the tech section.

coffeedart here you go on ebay click the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-67-Dod...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c96e752fa&vxp=mtr

Cheers

Any dual plane intake will provide better low end torque than a single plane. Even a later model cast iron dual plane under your 2 brl carb is an improvement. I recently purchased a sp2p for my 67 Commando build so if you want to pay the shipping on a 50 lbs OEM cast iron single plane , 75.00 plus the shipping and its yours.

The best dual plane intake for that engine would be an Edelbrock LD4B.

The D4B has the different intake bolts for the 64-65 273 unique head-intake bolts.

Stock intakes will not run as well as the dual planes.

If you want a new dual plane intake, I would recommend either the Wiand Steath or Action Plus depending if you are going to run a square bore or spread bore carburetor, they are available new.

Another question. Would aftermarket intake be better, because it would open up carb choices? Kind of like the idea of period piece, as I have a set of cal custom valve covers(with the box listing applications up to 1973), not too worried about originality, cause I can always go back to the 2 barrel. Gives me some ideas to look out for. For me half of the thrill is in the hunt.
thanks guys
aaron

Will be going to swap meet this weekend, and will look for sp2p or ld4b(preferable). What should I look at as far as condition, modifications, etc. Found this for port size, is this right
1966 - 1967 {273} Casting #2658920

Heart-Shaped Combustion Chamber

Factory CC Level..........................62.0 to 65.5 CC's
Recommended Minimum CC's......57.3 CC's

Intake Port Gasket Size...............1.05" x 2.07"
If I don't know what I am looking at I as least want to look like I do. Will assemble a small tool kit to take with, small flashlight, calipers, small brush, anything else that might be useful?
Also do I understand right that a d4b can easily be made to work on my engine?

Thanks
Aaron

Will be going to swap meet this weekend, and will look for sp2p or ld4b(preferable). What should I look at as far as condition, modifications, etc. Found this for port size, is this right
1966 - 1967 {273} Casting #2658920

Heart-Shaped Combustion Chamber

Factory CC Level..........................62.0 to 65.5 CC's
Recommended Minimum CC's......57.3 CC's

Intake Port Gasket Size...............1.05" x 2.07"
If I don't know what I am looking at I as least want to look like I do. Will assemble a small tool kit to take with, small flashlight, calipers, small brush, anything else that might be useful?
Also do I understand right that a d4b can easily be made to work on my engine?

Thanks
Aaron

The stock 4 barrel manifold is a good one. I'd pass on a D4B and leave it to the 64 and 65 guys, they have very few choices. Besides the bolts are at a different angle. You can use anything, even stock 340 manifolds. Any 4 barrel manifold will beat the 2 barrel anything. Holley Street Dominator is small port good fuel distribution, Weiand manifolds look period and are good, Offenhouser are good if you run across one, Edelbrock Performer should be good. 273's love rpm and since yours is solid lifter, I'd skip low rpm manifolds like a Streetmaster or the Sp2P unless you are only interested is squeezing every drop of gasoline and are willing to forgo performance to do so.

Things to look for are stripped threads and poorly repaired threads, at bad angles, plus erosion in areas that come in contact with coolant, especially in aluminum. Also check sealing areas carb, port surface, , water, and exhaust.

Any dual plane intake will provide better low end torque than a single plane. Even a later model cast iron dual plane under your 2 brl carb is an improvement. I recently purchased a sp2p for my 67 Commando build so if you want to pay the shipping on a 50 lbs OEM cast iron single plane , 75.00 plus the shipping and its yours.

If you are selling a 67 Commando 4 barrel intake I'll be in Greenwood, SC . next week and would buy it or run it out to South Dakota this summer. I plan to spend a couple weeks in Marion, SD. sometime this summer.

Good god,if you do find a D4B intake PLEASE don't f$@* it up with drilling the holes! Id gladly let you make money on it selling it to me! Us 64-65 guys are limited!

Dont listen to the nay-sayers...Theres nothing wrong with the SP2P intake. You arent gonna turn it 8000 rpm, are you? Its a great street manifold, PERIOD!

The stock 4 barrel manifold is a good one. I'd pass on a D4B and leave it to the 64 and 65 guys, they have very few choices. Besides the bolts are at a different angle. You can use anything, even stock 340 manifolds. Any 4 barrel manifold will beat the 2 barrel anything. Holley Street Dominator is small port good fuel distribution, Weiand manifolds look period and are good, Offenhouser are good if you run across one, Edelbrock Performer should be good. 273's love rpm and since yours is solid lifter, I'd skip low rpm manifolds like a Streetmaster or the Sp2P unless you are only interested is squeezing every drop of gasoline and are willing to forgo performance to do so.

Things to look for are stripped threads and poorly repaired threads, at bad angles, plus erosion in areas that come in contact with coolant, especially in aluminum. Also check sealing areas carb, port surface, , water, and exhaust.

Will only consider a D4p if I find nothing else, then will post it here for sale or trade, hate modifying good parts anyway. Guess you answered my question about strretmaster as I have a "streetmaster 318" in the garage.
Thanks again
Aaron

Will only consider a D4p if I find nothing else, then will post it here for sale or trade, hate modifying good parts anyway. Guess you answered my question about strretmaster as I have a "streetmaster 318" in the garage.
Thanks again
Aaron
If you find a D4B, grab it! The mods you have to make to make it work on your '67-up heads will be covered up if it gets installed on pre'67 heads, so you're not "hurting" the early manifold any.

...and ,yes, I'm not a fan of the StreetMaster on any engine!

Interesting, I didn't think Edelbrock ever produced a intake for the 273 (LD4B) This intake came out before Edelbrock produced the LD340 from what I've read. It's a 340 intake and not a 273 intake. tmm

Mike....I'm confused by your statement.....The LD4B IS the intake made by Edelbrock for the '67-up small port heads ie: 273/318.("D4B" is for the earlier small port heads) The LD340 was made later as the 340 didn't come around until 1968. I believe this is a bona-fide LD4B intake, but it has been hogged out to work with the 340/360 port heads. I just don't know why the "4" is missing.

Mike....I'm confused by your statement.....The LD4B IS the intake made by Edelbrock for the '67-up small port heads ie: 273/318.("D4B" is for the earlier small port heads) The LD340 was made later as the 340 didn't come around until 1968. I believe this is a bona-fide LD4B intake, but it has been hogged out to work with the 340/360 port heads. I just don't know why the "4" is missing.

Ya it was confusing. The pictured intake with a Mopar part number was a 340 intake produced by Edelbrock and sold through Mopar parts. The D4B,LD4B, and the LD340 were also produced by Edelbrock but sold by them to the afermarket and not through Mopar Parts.

Ya it was confusing. The pictured intake with a Mopar part number was a 340 intake produced by Edelbrock and sold through Mopar parts. The D4B,LD4B, and the LD340 were also produced by Edelbrock but sold by them to the afermarket and not through Mopar Parts.

I google-imaged "LD4B" intakes and they all had the same Chrysler part number as the subject of this thread. Some of the pics are even from FABO here.

-
Back