273 to 340 swap

-
Figuring out the front accessories isn't Rocket Science.
What I'm wondering is why hasn't anyone mentioned the Motor Mount issues that come with a 273 to 340 swap?

Guess I will.

The passenger's side mount will only bolt up with the top 2 ears, the bottom ear is reversed on a 340, which means either welding a spacer to the bracket to attach to the rear lower block ear, or welding a triangle-shaped piece of steel to the rear part of the bracket and drilling a hole for the bolt.

The driver's side requires a spacer off the rear block ear to the mount bracket.
The difference is @ 5/16".

{edit} Lots of mis-information here, I PMed you exactly what issues you'll have. MN.{end edit}

Mark.

Thanks Barracudadave67. I got the part number on the Milodon hi-flo water pump that has the correct bosses for the p/s and alternator. Milodon Hi-Flo water pump

This should fix my problems without having to pull off the 340 timing cover and I can refinish the old pulley and will be good to go. I will update you guys. Thanks for all the info. :headbang:

What type of newer fan would you guys use with the original shroud?

mil-16251.jpg

Assuming you have the oem shroud ? I think the service manual talks about either 17 1/2 or 18 inch fans for 66 as being the largest oe style fan. I havent fit mine up yet but I hope to be able to use a solid drive aftermarket 18" stainless 6 blade flex fan that I got gratis from my brother. If you arent running a shroud then put the largest fan on that will fit and not be obnoxious.

got one gratis too but will have to check with my buddy to see whatg size it is. it was for his 66 dart surf wagon

Update

The Milodon pump worked prefect. The fan I got from my buddy was perfect too. 18.25" 6 blade flexfan. It has plenty of clearance for the oem shroud.

daves66valiant said:
Update

The Milodon pump worked prefect. The fan I got from my buddy was perfect too. 18.25" 6 blade flexfan. It has plenty of clearance for the oem shroud.

Kool, how about a picture?

Okay here's the updated pictures. I don't think I really like the 273 alternator brackets now that they are on the 340. Everything looks very assymetrical. I may go with an inexpensive aftermarket alternator bracket. At least the P/S is a go. I will be painting the P/S pump high gloss black of course. Just wanted to get some paint on it after cleaning it up.

340 with 273 brackets.jpg

340 with 273 brackets2.jpg

340 with 273 brackets3.jpg

340 with 273 brackets4.jpg

340 with 273 brackets5.jpg

340 with 273 brackets6.jpg

340 with 273 brackets7.jpg

I just have to say it, but one of summits alternator brackets would look awesome on that engine. They are billet alluminum, and would match the other shiny components .
I put one on my duster when I took off the old A/C and needed a bracket that would fit right.
Link to the part

The rest of your car ready for that 340? That single plane may need some gear/torque converter to get up and go. Looks awesome and will be fun! Nice car and great combination with a 340.

There is an aftermarket alternator bracket that fits the older water pump and pulleys? Can you post a picture of it. I kind of like the older one, but its got to be heavier than the newer style.

By the way I think thing looks bad azz.

Lee

I am pulling th engine out this weekend now that I have a cherry picker of my own. Then the car is ready to go the shop for paint and body. Still have to do the brake swap and rear-end swap. Getting there though.

If I change the alternator bracket to the one that fits the old style water pump I will post a picture. Yeah the old brackets are for sure heavier. I think a newer style bracket may look better on the engine. I like things to have some symmetry. Should I keep the P/S pump the same color? Does it look alright. It's growing on me actually. :scratch:

As for getting the power out of that single plane I have a 5 speed swap going into the car so no torque converter for me. Plus I get a little extra HP :toothy7: . I did get a torque strap for the beast too.

Thanks Aaron. That part may work out nicely especially if i keep the P/S color the same

daves66valiant said:
Thanks Barracudadave67. I got the part number on the Milodon hi-flo water pump that has the correct bosses for the p/s and alternator. Milodon Hi-Flo water pump

This should fix my problems without having to pull off the 340 timing cover and I can refinish the old pulley and will be good to go. I will update you guys. Thanks for all the info. :headbang:

What type of newer fan would you guys use with the original shroud?

:)

Just another question as I will be going down this road myself (early pump/brackets on later timing cover) Are the timing marks EXACTLY 90 degrees offset? I guess I need to find myself a 273 timing tab piece as well.

So then if the markes are 90 degrees offset, couldn't I just attach the timing light to #8 and not re-mark the damper?

Not too sure about that one. In the picture above you can see the black sharpie timing mark on the dampener between the new timing cover mark and the 273 timing bracket. I could use either if I make another mark on the dampener for the 273 bracket. I left the 273 bracket on there for appearance :thumbup:

If you are talking about the timing marks on the later cover that wont work with the older style pump or vice versa early cover late pump. You wont be able to see the marks because the outlet of the pump will be in front of the marks on the cover. Lets just say its alot easier to use the older aluminum front cover on these early a bodies with the matching old style pump. Then the most you have to do is make new marks on the damper for TDC.

If you have the bolt on timing marker then it probably doesnt matter what cover or pump you use, but I would check to make sure.

I dont think using #8 will work either, it would have to be (18436572 firing order) so 90 degrees would be #4 or # 7 depending on which way the mark reorientates itself. (I think)

I’m about to do the exact same swap. I was going to use the 340 timing cover and damper, but put on a 273 water pump and the 273 pulleys, and brackets and follow what Moparlee suggested to time it. I wasn’t sure the 273 water pump would bolt up to the 340 timing cover but sounds like it will.

I’m about to do the exact same swap. I was going to use the 340 timing cover and damper, but put on a 273 water pump and the 273 pulleys, and brackets and follow what Moparlee suggested to time it. I wasn’t sure the 273 water pump would bolt up to the 340 timing cover but sounds like it will.
I checked back through the list. Because this is a old thread nay of the members haven't been online for a long time. You may not get a response. Just sayin'

We used all the 273 front accessories and timing cover on the 360 oh yeah we made our own mount out my old 74 mount we just cut the ears off and welded them worked out perfect.

The '308 heads used the smaller exhaust ports like a 273 has, which makes using the stock '64-'66 273 manifolds more feasable.
Get out of here...really? Smaller exhaust ports on a 360 head? Who would have thought......were the 302's the same size then? :popcorn:

This is awesome, a 13 year old post is getting play again!

Just another question as I will be going down this road myself (early pump/brackets on later timing cover) Are the timing marks EXACTLY 90 degrees offset? I guess I need to find myself a 273 timing tab piece as well.

So then if the markes are 90 degrees offset, couldn't I just attach the timing light to #8 and not re-mark the damper?
Here's what I did. I set the 340 to TDC using the indicator cast into the timing chain cover. I installed the earlier style timing tab and marked TDC with white paint. That way I can continue to use the timing tab that came with the car. Easy!

-
Back