2nd try? On the cheap friendly comp?

Who wants to show the world how to get'er done cheap!

• Total voters
-
The point is...scrounging, flipping, and making deals was and still is the core of budget car building. That's how I did it back then, because I worked part time at a grocery store! No one gave me anything...I got my hands greasy every damn day tearing parts cars apart, pissing off the neighbors with air tools running and lights blaring till midnight or later.

Anyway...the reason for doing it now would teach newbies how to stretch their dollars and go fast as cheap as possible. The whole point, right?
Yes, so do it and join the fun. By the way, that's how I still to do now... lol

It's easier to swap a valve body than to install a shift kit... just my personal observation. T/A Valve bodies can be had for $100-125 on the used front. Pretty darn cheap and that's almost on par with a TF2 or 3 kit plus install time if you ask me..

Don't you have to remove the valve body to install a shift kit? Hmmmmm

Am I limited on spending money on "THE" most important driveline part of this exercise?

My suggestion, STOP DENEGRATING PEOPLE because they ask a question or suggest an alternative. Whip that horse and it won't walk anymore!

Have fun with this I'm out.
I think the asking was ok, the arguing about it gets old, on all sides. Hundreds of performance parts for each car. No way to cover each item, let alone argue the pro's and con's. Not a professional, prize winning race here. It has been no porting, factory heads, No big money top stuff carbs, they just really want simple, cheap, common upgrades. How many typical daily drivers do you see out there with Manual valve bodies?? A few pro street cars, right? I think they made it clear this is not a pro street contest. Remember, one option in the poll was "I don't get it, I'm out".

I think the asking was ok, the arguing about it gets old, on all sides. Hundreds of performance parts for each car. No way to cover each item, let alone argue the pro's and con's. Not a professional, prize winning race here. It has been no porting, factory heads, No big money top stuff carbs, they just really want simple, cheap, common upgrades. How many typical daily drivers do you see out there with Manual valve bodies?? A few pro street cars, right? I think they made it clear this is not a pro street contest. Remember, one option in the poll was "I don't get it, I'm out".

In my area in the late '80s/early '90s it was commonplace for any kind of "built" musclecar to have a manual valve body if it was automatic. We're talking 12, 11, 10 second street cars here. No one really considered it a "race only" part.

Now when you say Pro Street I think of back halved, full cage cars...which nowadays better do at least 8s or its a poser/show poodle.

In my area in the late '80s/early '90s it was commonplace for any kind of "built" musclecar to have a manual valve body if it was automatic. We're talking 12, 11, 10 second street cars here. No one really considered it a "race only" part.

Now when you say Pro Street I think of back halved, full cage cars...which nowadays better do at least 8s or its a poser/show poodle.

They said yes to your manual valve body already!! Com' on, man, go install it and let it rest!!! LOL......:D and by the way, I've been to your town. It wasn't full of 10 second street cars or 8 second pro streets, nor were woman in mini vans shift'n manual valve bodies. You got the green light, go install yours, and please don't bring it up again....:banghead:

They said yes to your manual valve body already!! Com' on, man, go install it and let it rest!!! LOL......:D and by the way, I've been to your town. It wasn't full of 10 second street cars or 8 second pro streets, nor were woman in mini vans shift'n manual valve bodies. You got the green light, go install yours, and please don't bring it up again....:banghead:

I was responding to your comment about them at 1:48 pm...I don't keep bringing it up. And who said anything about women in mini vans with them? Damn you guys keep projecting..

Regarding the Lincoln scene, it was far more active in the 80s and 90s. Nowadays most guys with fast cars will cruise in their slightly hopped up daily drivers and hang out, only bring out the big guns when there's a good reason. And just like any scene there's an overabundance of ricers on any given Friday/Saturday night. Maybe this recent dip in gas prices with bring out the serious stuff more often. If you tell me the next time you're in town, I can introduce you to at least 5 guys with 7.xx second (1/4 mile) cars.

Turning into a hell of a thread. Maximum learning and fun, minimum bucks.

I was responding to your comment about them at 1:48 pm...I don't keep bringing it up. And who said anything about women in mini vans with them? Damn you guys keep projecting..

Regarding the Lincoln scene, it was far more active in the 80s and 90s. Nowadays most guys with fast cars will cruise in their slightly hopped up daily drivers and hang out, only bring out the big guns when there's a good reason. And just like any scene there's an overabundance of ricers on any given Friday/Saturday night. Maybe this recent dip in gas prices with bring out the serious stuff more often. If you tell me the next time you're in town, I can introduce you to at least 5 guys with 7.xx second (1/4 mile) cars.
Now that is 5 cars that run 7 seconds, 100 % in street form, right? exhaust, tires, and can run down the highway for 1 hour without overheating, right??? not saying, just asking. Anyways, 5 cars certainly wouldn't speak for the 75k cars you have in that city. Woman in mini's with manual valve bodies/?? com'on, where have you been??? I'm just pokn' at ya... computers don't shake me up! :D

Now that is 5 cars that run 7 seconds, 100 % in street form, right? exhaust, tires, and can run down the highway for 1 hour without overheating, right??? not saying, just asking. Anyways, 5 cars certainly wouldn't speak for the 75k cars you have in that city. Woman in mini's with manual valve bodies/?? com'on, where have you been??? I'm just pokn' at ya... computers don't shake me up! :D

These are streetable cars. One of them is a past winner in Drag Week with his twin turbo ls mustang...also has a '67 Camaro with turbo BBC. I used to race him in the early 90s and beat his sbc '78 Camaro repeatedly. Now I got some catching up to do, lol.

Here's the Mustang, he won street race small block in 2012, 2013 and came in 2nd place in 2014.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLNrbXzqvWI"]Hot Rod Drag Week 2012 Wischmann - YouTube[/ame]

6 year old video of the Camaro here, this car is running much better now and he has a full tube car in the works to up the ante.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSEwa818Vo"]Jon Wischmann's Turbo BBC Camaro 7.89 Pass - YouTube[/ame]

These are streetable cars. One of them is a past winner in Drag Week with his twin turbo ls mustang...also has a '67 Camaro with turbo BBC. I used to race him in the early 90s and beat his sbc '78 Camaro repeatedly. Now I got some catching up to do, lol.

Here's the Mustang, he won street race small block in 2012, 2013 and came in 2nd place in 2014.

Hot Rod Drag Week 2012 Wischmann - YouTube

6 year old video of the Camaro here, this car is running much better now and he has a full tube car in the works to up the ante.

Jon Wischmann's Turbo BBC Camaro 7.89 Pass - YouTube
so, you have a guy in your town that shoots for the moon (that gotta live somewhere), and your streets are full? Ok, back to poor boy, newbie builds. i'll remember the next time I go through Lincoln to grab me a 10 second duster--- for 2500 bucks, right? by the way, these kind of cars show up at a lot of dragstrips, doesn't mean they pollute the streets. my nephew has a 9 seconds car at 5000 ft. elevation. But it wouldn't be a contestant in this thread. Neither would the cars in your post. So, So, so...... lets get back to this race. I said before, there shouldn't be an 11 second car in this race....

so far it's been better than the cars.... LOL...
OUCH Cabin Fever....This winter sucks even in Texas.
Today was in the 70's and worked in the backyard but did go by the shop and aired up the tires in the dart and off course took care of that hanging marker.
Dug out my small block tranny I bought used awhile back and it is at the shop now.
Will disassemble it soon to see how it looks.
I will start a thread next weekend on my budget build.
Come on lets quit talking and start this thing !!!

OUCH Cabin Fever....This winter sucks even in Texas.
Today was in the 70's and worked in the backyard but did go by the shop and aired up the tires in the dart and off course took care of that hanging marker.
Dug out my small block tranny I bought used awhile back and it is at the shop now.
Will disassemble it soon to see how it looks.
I will start a thread next weekend on my budget build.
Come on lets quit talking and start this thing !!!
Thanks for bringing us back to what this is about!!!!!
I wish they would make a sticky thread for this so we can easily find the entries. A place we can post and update.

I am just going to start my thread under Mopar General Discussion like Rob did...
His is:
Rumbles friendly comp. race entry.
Mine will be:
TXDart friendly comp. race entry
when others enter the mods can move it where they like.....got to get rolling first.
:blob::blob::blob:

so, you have a guy in your town that shoots for the moon (that gotta live somewhere), and your streets are full? Ok, back to poor boy, newbie builds. i'll remember the next time I go through Lincoln to grab me a 10 second duster--- for 2500 bucks, right? by the way, these kind of cars show up at a lot of dragstrips, doesn't mean they pollute the streets. my nephew has a 9 seconds car at 5000 ft. elevation. But it wouldn't be a contestant in this thread. Neither would the cars in your post. So, So, so...... lets get back to this race. I said before, there shouldn't be an 11 second car in this race....

Point out where I said the streets were full? And I only posted those in response to this line of discussion:

by the way, I've been to your town. It wasn't full of 10 second street cars or 8 second pro streets

Anyway...back to the contest

there shouldn't be an 11 second car in this race....

So...what if I happen to run 11s for cheap, and explain how it's done? Disqualified? :D

I am just going to start my thread under Mopar General Discussion like Rob did...
His is:
Rumbles friendly comp. race entry.
Mine will be:
TXDart friendly comp. race entry
when others enter the mods can move it where they like.....got to get rolling first.
:blob::blob::blob:
Ok, I'll have to get mine out and take a pictures and post. I'll follow your lead, post in the same way. :)

Shoot, mine runs 11 seconds now backwards behind a turbo diesel wrecker....LMAO !!!

Hereis a idea: Put this, in a social group segment. That way, we can post as we feel, without the mainstream board, hitting the post & getting aggravated. Just, a thought.

Mine will probably be moved to JOKES AND FUNNY STUFF anyways....most do!!!
LOL

Ya'll go look at what okieMike posted in the small block mopar engine. Here is a prime example of a newbie, asking exactly what we here are trying to do. His question in short is "318 horsepower and torque". He said he is "new to the mopar" and wanted to know about a "4bbl and intake". This is exactly where almost all of them start. They post on FABO all the time, same questions. Wouldn't it be nice to inform them to "visit" the "friendly cheap race" for ideas, results, and tips?? This is why we are doing this race......... low cost, entry level welcome! This is why there is no prize, no real winner, because when we help these new comers, we all win, and our hobby gains support!

Yup and it would be even better if an experienced member in his area paid him a visit, made a new friend and mentored him. That's what it's all about. Keeping the hobby alive.

-
Back