302 heads???

-

IndyDak

Reaction score
I just got a 318 motor an 85 and the heads that are on it i was told that they was 302 's are they any good or just a good door stop??

Performance wise, I do believe they will be good for a nicely street powered 318. They offer a reduced combustion chamber that can be coupled with a zero deck (Or close to it) piston for a high ratio squeeezzee and excellent flame travel. Reduced timing is a bennifit with the quenched area.

They can be ported out fairly well. But do have a performance ceiling were a 340/360 head would fit the bill better. It would have to be fairly built up to use that head well.

If your going to use the head, it should fit the builds combo well. The question here is, what will your combo be? Hold back no details from stem to stern.

I have a 70 340 block bored 30 overs . i am looking to have a 416 stroker motor bulid for it . with a 904 trans build up also and i have a dana 60 with 4 link set up in my dakota . the man that bulids my motors said he can make any head flow well. he is damn good at what he does, thats all he does is bulid motors, http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/rules371/?action=view&current=Video12.flv

This is my old 71 dart with a mild 340 very mild 10.5 pistons 484 cam 727 trans with 9 in 4000 stall 4.56 gears dana 60 . and my next motor is going to be on the bad side, best run was a 11.90's 1/4. so not to bad fro a mild 340

If your going to build the 416 engine then you'll need a 200-205 cc intake port head, the 302 comes factory with only 118-120 cc's in the intake runner and reguardless who ports the heads he'll never get them this big when starting this small. His time would be better spent on a better set of heads like 190 commandos.

LOL, Yea, the stroker is to much in the cube department for those heads. Sell the heads and roll over the money into another set.

302 are out we have a set of w-2 's now i was over at my builders shop friday after we got to talking about the 302's he said he had a set of w-2 out back if i like he would make me a deal on them okay lets do it . so the 302s are out and the w2 are in........... .

It ought to do well I think. So long as he's not trying to max the cubes potentail out.

-
Back