315x60x15's on my 64 Dart GT

-
I've got 30 x 10.5 x 15 inch Goodyear slicks mounted on Vintage Cragar Supertricks on mine. Since I have Superstock A990 springs, they fit pretty well except for the front of the rear wheel opening. When the slicks grow they rubbed. At some point the wheel opening there was hammered flat. (Ahhhh... the joys of old race cars) My only problem is that my wheel openings were stretched sometime in the early '70s or so, and the welds started to go. I'm in the middle of repairing the openings now.
The tub is looking good. real good.

Nice wheel tire combo. I've got the same ones goin on my 66. I can't wait to see your progress.

P1200069.jpg

PA250013.jpg

Nice wheel tire combo. I've got the same ones goin on my 66. I can't wait to see your progress.

Hi Mopowers, I have been drooling over your 66 for the past few months. In fact, your ride is one of the cars I used as a basis for my "will it fit" decisions. I have your Photobucket page bookmarked on my home computer. Your 66 is VERY impressive to me.

Hopefully, I will have more work done on it in the next few weeks. Life, family, etc seems to get in the way of quality time welding... ;-)

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule!

This site rocks! You guy's are doing a great job of sharing the knowledge with everyone. My 63 Dart GT should be delivered tomorrow and I plan on mini tubbing it as well. It's nice to see what other builders are doing, I plan on contributing as soon as I get going. Hey Crackedback, any chance on getting that powerpoint file? I would love to see how you did yours.

Good job! I also put a 30 inch tire on my 65'. The only difference was that I had to use full tubs because of some bad rust issues on the wheel house.

re-relocate 1.jpg

oldmoparsrule, those tires look awesome. I've been tossing up the idea of mini tubing my Duster and cramming some fatties under the wells. I really like the way they look on your car.

DO IT! It's pretty simple on our cars. I tied up the frame (don't waste money on catalog connectors) I mini tubbed it and did the MP relocation kit with MP SS springs. I've had a 15x10 wheel 6.5" BS with a 28-12.5-15 MT et street under it with an A-body 8 3/4 no problems. I still have about 3" between the tire and spring and can fit 2 fingers between the tire and quarter pannel. I did not use an aftermarket wheel tub, just welded in like a 2.5"-3" band. You'll be very happy with the results.

Looks real good. Any updates?

Good job! I also put a 30 inch tire on my 65'. The only difference was that I had to use full tubs because of some bad rust issues on the wheel house.
Curious. Did you weld the full (assuming steel) tubs to the quarter panel or ???

Thanks for posting your progress. It is looking good!
This is really going to help with I do mine.

So, I spent the better part of the past 2 days working on the mini-tubs on the 64 Dart.

Here is a shot of the drivers side. You can see that I had to move the trunk support higher up on the wheel well. You can also see the original holes where we drilled out the spot welds. I have one more small patch of rust that I need to cut out, and then weld in the final filler panel. This was the first side I did, and I definitely learned from this side...the other side turned out better.

P1010099.jpg

Here is a shot of the passenger side. I had to make a large filler panel, and then weld in the patch panel. You can see that I needed to weld in piece of metal that runs the full length of the area that supports the upper shock mount. Once the last spot on the driver side is taken care of, all of the rust issues that were in the trunk will be taken care of. Besides this area, the car is rust free.

P1010101.jpg

Here is another closer shot:

P1010098.jpg

Finally, here is the shot of both wheel wells:

P1010100.jpg

I put on a quick coat of paint to see what it looked like...I need to clean up some of the seam sealer, but it is real close.

The nest step will be welding in the spring relocation kit. I think I will go with the $129 kit from Mancini's unless any of you know of a better kit.

Thank you!

OldMoparsRule!

Looking good and rust-free.I,m leaning to do the same on my 66 Dart next winter,looks like an easy job.If you know what your doing,that is.Great work!

makes me want a 64 GT..looks great,,,yes you can get a giant tire in an early A with out opening the wheel well 33x22 15x15 rim

fstfish66  digitial oct 2007 014.jpg

looking like your right by the numbers Oldmoparsrule, those tires look awesome! How tight are they? The early A's are awesome mini-tubed. Are you going to just relocate the springs or a whole different set-up?

Fstfish66, let me see a shot of the inner fenders in the rear, I want to see how the inside of a cuda looks mini-Tubbed, that look is hard to beat but how does it handle on the road cornering?

its nto min tubbed my tires are 22 inches wide, 15 inch wide rims,,,about 17 inches between the tires,,rear is 37 inches wide,,, was just showing u can geta big tire under an a body with out cutting the quarter open

HaHaHa!!LOL!!! I get ya Fstfish, slightly over a mini-tub job!!! Sorry, looks cool anyway I don't care who you are!!!!

looking like your right by the numbers Oldmoparsrule, those tires look awesome! How tight are they? The early A's are awesome mini-tubed. Are you going to just relocate the springs or a whole different set-up?

Hi Vic,
I am going to use the Mancini spring relocation kit and move the springs inboard. The tires fit well, but I will definitely need to make sure the axle width is dead on...the margin for error is not much with this big tire, even with the mini-tub job. The limiting factor appears to be the front of the wheel well...it is wider in the back than in the front.

I have a set of Super Stock springs that I am going to run.

Thanks for the feedback!

OldMoparsRule!

its not mini-tubbed my tires are 22 inches wide, 15 inch wide rims,,,about 17 inches between the tires,,rear is 37 inches wide,,, was just showing u can geta big tire under an a body with out cutting the quarter open

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about the tire height and the opening on the fender for the tire. Mine is close, but yours is at least 1.5 inches wider than mine, so I should be good.

My next project will either be a big tired car like yours, or an altered like the Funnycar Farmer.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

yours is looking great,,ive always loved the 64 65 66 darts,cant wait to see how it sits

I ordered the Spring Relocation kit from Mancini yesterday. It should be here sometime next week. Once that is installed, the next step will be narrowing the 8.75, and figuring out the driveshaft. I am going to run with the Slant until I get the motor and trans ready to go.

Should be fun.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

What axles did you use?

I am going to narrow my 8.75, and will end up using custom length axles. I have to be very careful to get the width correct...I do not have much margin for error. I think I have an inch on either side of the width of the wheel, and then the height of the tire will also necessitate that the axle to be centered as close to perfectly in the middle of the wheel well as I can.

Once the spring relo boxes are welded in, I can do the final measurements for the axle width.

Should be fun!

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Well after following this thread I,ve also done the minitub,spring relocation.A couple pics..How much have you taken from your A-body 8 3/4(shortening)?
car pics 66 Dart 043.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 044.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 055.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 067.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 097.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 102.jpg
Thanks for posting,was lots of help!

car pics 66 Dart 043.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 044.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 055.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 067.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 097.jpg