315x60x15's on my 64 Dart GT

-
Wow...I cannot believe how long it is taking me to finish this job...

I worked on it today, and am almost done with the final welding.

Pettybludart, Your ride looks awesome. Great work. I have been following it on your resto thread. I hope to have pics of it on it's feet in the next month or two. I was hoping to have it done by the 'Fling, but I will probably help my dad with his Belvedere instead.

I will have some more pics soon.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I see you finally pulled the trigger on the Mini Tub, Nice Job!
All in all,the minitub took about 24hrs over a span of 2 weeks.6 hrs here,5hrs there.It took me longer than I had anticipated,but am happy with the results.Thanks to FABO members for sharing there pics and knowledge!:cheers:

How much have you taken from your A-body 8 3/4(shortening)?

My rear housing needs to end up being 51 1/4 from WMS to WMS. I have 2 C body housings, and will narrow one to this width.

I am sending out the housing and axles this next week to get narrowed.

Hopefully soon, it will be back on its own feet again.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I dropped off the housing and axles at Sutton Engineering. Ed is going to narrow the housing, and then cut and re-spline the axles. In the end, the WMS to WMS will be 51.25".

I should have it back in a week.

I cannot wait to have it back on 4 feet again.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Funny you say that.I just had a spare C-body housing shortened to 46 5/8(Flange to flange)will be 51 5/8 with the 10x2 1/2 inch brakes.I ordered new axels from Strange,I just don,t trust the C-body axels when I,m pushing 540hp!Good luck!Keep up the great work.

P.S What backspace are you going with?

Funny you say that.I just had a spare C-body housing shortened to 46 5/8(Flange to flange)will be 51 5/8 with the 10x2 1/2 inch brakes.I ordered new axels from Strange,I just don,t trust the C-body axels when I,m pushing 540hp!Good luck!Keep up the great work.

P.S What backspace are you going with?

I am running 15x10 Welds with 5" of backspace. Yea, I am running the C body axles until I get the funds to upgrade...and I have an engine that necessitates it ;-)

You are making incredible progress with your 66. I am watching yours closely!

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Love it just like my 64, I am not brave enough to do something like that. A lot of talent!

I picked up the narrowed housing with the cut and re-splined axles last week. I ordered all of the brake parts from RockAuto last night, and just called and ordered the Green Bearing Maxi-Kit from Cass at Dr.Diff.

Once the parts come in, I will complete the axle and get it installed.

I also bought a driveshaft at Spring Fling that the seller had custom built for his 904 to 8 3/4 in a 64 Dart...That was the last remaining puzzle piece I needed.

Should have some "on its feet" pictures shortly.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did Sutton charge to do the housing and axles?

So, I spent the better part of the past 2 days working on the mini-tubs on the 64 Dart.

Here is a shot of the drivers side. You can see that I had to move the trunk support higher up on the wheel well. You can also see the original holes where we drilled out the spot welds. I have one more small patch of rust that I need to cut out, and then weld in the final filler panel. This was the first side I did, and I definitely learned from this side...the other side turned out better.

P1010099.jpg

Here is a shot of the passenger side. I had to make a large filler panel, and then weld in the patch panel. You can see that I needed to weld in piece of metal that runs the full length of the area that supports the upper shock mount. Once the last spot on the driver side is taken care of, all of the rust issues that were in the trunk will be taken care of. Besides this area, the car is rust free.

P1010101.jpg

Here is another closer shot:

P1010098.jpg

Finally, here is the shot of both wheel wells:

P1010100.jpg

I put on a quick coat of paint to see what it looked like...I need to clean up some of the seam sealer, but it is real close.

The nest step will be welding in the spring relocation kit. I think I will go with the $129 kit from Mancini's unless any of you know of a better kit.

Thank you!

OldMoparsRule!

I have the front spring boxes if you want them for $40 plus shipping.

I think you bought the one I had for sale.. Anyway, while at SF I talked with the guy at the Hot Rod City vendor booth. He'll make me a fuel tank that will fit down in the spare tire well. $450, baffled, with sendor, an AN outlet and mounting hardware. You may want to consider that option.

I think you bought the one I had for sale.. Anyway, while at SF I talked with the guy at the Hot Rod City vendor booth. He'll make me a fuel tank that will fit down in the spare tire well. $450, baffled, with sendor, an AN outlet and mounting hardware. You may want to consider that option.

Really, I wish I had known you were a FABO guy. I would have stayed and chatted for a while. I think it was a great find...especially in that it was specifically for my early A. Thanks for the part!

Great idea on the gas tank. I am not sure yet how mine will fit...once I am finally done with all of the welding, I will put the tank back and see how it fits. Thanks though for the advice.

Thank you!

OldMoparsRule!

Does anyone actually have these tires on a drivable car?

If so do they rub?

How about 325's?

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you, I already have them, and they are welded in...8)

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Good thing you didn't buy them. I did and they are CRAP used that were cut out of another car. Holes don't line up POShittttttttt. Guy said he would take them back I would have to pay for shipping......I told him that I will do the next guy a favor that he was going to sell them to and THROW THEM IN THE TRASH!!

Hey oldmoparsrule,

Any update on your ride?

Mike

Hi Mike,
I worked on it for a while this evening. It is finally back on all 4 wheels again. I need to do the final measurements so I can set the pinion angle, then off again so I can do the finish welds and paint, etc. Then...I can finally put the rear axle in for good.

The old lady I bought it from pushed in the passenger side a little...so I have to do some massaging of the body. With the 13's it did not matter, but with the 315's every 1/4 inch counts.

I will have some pics up soon.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I just had mine done at Sutton. Shortened the housing 3.75" on each side. Axles Shortened and Re Splined, New Green Bearings, and 3" Studs installed.

Total Price was $480.00

I did the same thing, but I installed my green bearings and 3" studs myself. I think I paid $350.

BTW, for future reference, let someone else install the bearings if you can...what a hassle cutting the old ones off.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

-
Back