318/396 stroker or just keep it a 318?

-

396PLYMOUTH

My Little Mopar
Reaction score
Plan on building one or the other both engines I have in mind will be around the 12:1 mark dual plane intake a holley 670 carb but im unsure of what cam to use. This will be a street driven car but not a daily driver, I want a radical idle any suggestions? I was thinking of a comp. 284 484 108 cam.

i had a purple shaft in my first motor i ever built those same specs it really wasnt that radical i have a 510 lift comp in my scamp now and it is still prtty street friendly

Ok what enginr are you running? like I said I will have a 12:1 motor either way I go I was thinkng of a .528 mechanical cam

I have the 284/528 MP solid cam in my mild 360-40 over. It actually idles very good, 850-900 in gear, without much of a lope.... The throttle response is great, pulls hard past 6200.. If you want that radical idle I would suggest something with a tighter lobe separation 106-108. If I recall the 528 had a 112 or 114 separation.
That is a good cam for your combo, even with that compression I think you'll be disappointed with the smoother idle...

Bob

yeah a 528 lift mech would be great you cant beat the way a solid lift car sounds as soon as i can get some roller rockers i want to put a solid lift cam in the scamp

i would for sure go with the 396 there is no replacement for displacement....................... exc.a turbo lol

with the stroker you might want to look at the .557 cam....

the .528 is going to be pretty mild at 390 cubes...

Why such a high comp? Is that beacuase your using the KB846 slugs?

What heads are you using?

I'm getting a 394 built atm - and I know of another that made 400 FWHP with the XE 284H cam.

The cubes REALLY soak up the idle...but if you want to really "go fast"...you'll need good flowing heads - around 250 cfm at .550 minimum.

I also suspect your carb wont be big enough with the 394, and neither will factory fuel lines or mechanical pump.

Which DP intake? An LD340 or RPM Air Gap will work - but Dyno 2000 shows 25HP more using a SP- and for a 390 the last thing you need to worry about is torque so an SP would be fine.

I have a set of 302 castings with some mild port work done to them the intake is a wieand stealth carb is 670 street avenger hooker comp headers 904 trans with a 2500-3200 stall converter. Im not looking to make a bracket car just yet I have a 383 sittin for that later in life. As for this engine I just want to acheive decent HP and TQ for now but we all now and love that radical idle wich is what im shooting for. I will most likley stick with just the high compression 318 for now so I know any cam over .500 lift with a tight LSA will do the job its just wich one will work best for me. You guys made some good suggestions and I will consider all of them I will keep you posted.

My 390 has 302 heads, and it idles mean, for a truck, and has a pretty good power band with the 302's. Look at the voodoo cams, or the thumpr cams. Comp actually makes a cam that idles mean for people who want sound effects.

You want radical? Do 12-1 318, with a mech cam in the 250 range.

I wish I could afford a comp mutha thumper but that a little pricey right now. I was just listening to a 296/.557 mech cam in a 340 that sounded damn good.

i have heard of alot of casting defects causing the mutha thumpers to break but thats just hear say

-
Back