318 and 10's

-
It's an X block. Over the counter race block in 1979. Half filled and 4 bolt mains.

Keeping it cool is a must with high compression and iron heads.

4.125" stroke which makes it 436".

Did not order axles. Had to put money in the daily driver instead :/ oh well one I need, one I want

318 probably not best choice, but if a 340 or 360 can do it can't see why a 318 can't. Should take a similar build up as them only at 400-800 hundred rpms higher.
318 weakest part compared to 360/340 is bore size, I'm guessing you need around 300 cfm's since I've never seen flow numbers on 318 bores that would be your first obstacle is find out how much cfm is lost.

as I pointed out previously, it can be done, even with a 273 and no power adders. There is no rocket science here, the engine has to pump the air...a smaller engine has to turn more rpm to move the same amount of air.... The other thing to consider, is that valve shrouding is worse the smaller the bore gets. A head will flow more air bolted on a 4.040 bore than it will in a 3.900 bore. How much do you lose there? I do not know. Then guys all start yapping about the chevy LS motor, but they don't relize that is a 15 degree head as opposed to a 18 degree, or even worse the regular chevy 23 degree. So all that plays into effect.

I concur with Replicaracer43, I can't believe there no flow data with 318 bore sizes,
I've seen flow comparison between 305/350 bores and the loss was in the range of 10 cfm.

Little update. Axles and spool are in, changing a couple things before an upcoming grudge get together, when it stops raining I can make sure the trans is okay. Learned how to rebuild the 904 last week on a spare one I have.

For the local guys if things go well it will be at Great Lakes Friday night for RSD. If you're still reading this thanks! Dylan.

Gonna post the e.t? Gonna grudge with anyone in particular?

Gonna post the e.t? Gonna grudge with anyone in particular?

Just might. Couple of guys from around town, mostly LS nitrous stuff maybe an SBF and possibly give a guy a shot with his BBC that I beat last time with the old motor. Should be fun, maybe even profitable

We were at gld today for fun runs and will be back next Sunday-Pulled some good numbers today and the track was chittie and cold,I don't think they believe in vht because they didn't bring it out once,at Kaukana the sprayed the lanes(starting box) after about every 5 cars--Steve

If weather is okay I can guarantee we will have the track on kill. I have some friends that help with the event and make sure the track is right, some money will be changing hands so they make sure the track is there, hope to see you!!

Trapped 127 then made some changes to the tune, went to make another pass to go quicker yet but had a charging problem which caused the solenoids to chatter. Last pass of the night so I'll head to another track next weekend and have a race locked in with a procharged camaro with an LT1 and a manual

Desperately need to get the dead spot out of the carb so I can get the 60' down a lot more, car is capable of much better

A buddy of mine runs a 318 in his scamp that has run a best of 10.82 @ 123.

Numbers matching block-crank-rods....cast crank.11.8 compression.
5000 grand convertor with trans brake.
2850 weight without driver.
Victor intake ported by Hughes.
.557 purple shaft solid.
308 casting heads---ported with 2.02 valves.
4.88 gears.
30 inch tall tire.
It's a street car also.
The best part is the short block is 15 years old and it's still running.

Very cool!!

I made it under the mid 10 and left a lot on the table with a soft leave and the tune was just too rich to make the power. Saturday....... we're in the shop preparing now :)

displayimage.php

That didn't work but click link for launch picture. I suck at internetting​

ust might. Couple of guys from around town, mostly LS nitrous stuff maybe an SBF and possibly give a guy a shot with his BBC that I beat last time with the old motor. Should be fun, maybe even profitable
Smoke 'em......

I remember reading in one of the Mopar mags in the '90s about a '67 Dart with a 273 that ran 10s. No nitrous, just a very finely tuned and scienced out combo and deep gears.

I remember reading in one of the Mopar mags in the '90s about a '67 Dart with a 273 that ran 10s. No nitrous, just a very finely tuned and scienced out combo and deep gears.
Yes, I mentioned that car in post 115. I saw that car run at rockingham about 20 years ago, was very cool

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp1rvhJNa1I"]White on Red - YouTube[/ame]

And then we sold the little 318 to a new home in a dart. Still won't post an ET but it trapped in the low 130's so think what you will. (far lane me, near lane turbo'd fox body)

White on Red - YouTube

And then we sold the little 318 to a new home in a dart. Still won't post an ET but it trapped in the low 130's so think what you will. (far lane me, near lane turbo'd fox body)
So, you sold the 318. Why not post the E.T.? I don't understand. Remember, you started a thread about knowledge of a 318 in 10's. What was the responses suppose to be, "yep, have one but that's all I'll say." or "yes, but can't give the e.t.". You've just depleted ANY purpose of this whole entire thread. Pointless.....

So, you sold the 318. Why not post the E.T.? I don't understand. Remember, you started a thread about knowledge of a 318 in 10's. What was the responses suppose to be, "yep, have one but that's all I'll say." or "yes, but can't give the e.t.". You've just depleted ANY purpose of this whole entire thread. Pointless.....

Sorry I have let you down. Let me spin it to you like this and maybe clear it up. It is a grudge car, so putting an exact ET on it gives people who may lurk this board(they are out there) to precise of info. NOBODY in the grudge game builds new to go slower and I assure you I am no different. I hope you can find a "point" in that. Thank you.

Since you sold the motor I see no reason not to post a time slip. Even if its in your buddies rig, I imagine trans gear tire chassis is not the same so you wont be selling out the new owner of your 318.

Since you sold the motor I see no reason not to post a time slip. Even if its in your buddies rig, I imagine trans gear tire chassis is not the same so you wont be selling out the new owner of your 318.

Read the above post please. It's not worth me saying where I've been with it. One thing this thread has pointed out is it already did more than 99% expected it to. There is the "sleeper" factor.

-
Back