318 distributor install question

-

Calipag

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first 318 build and while putting the distributor in today and it seems as if it is not completely seated. I installed the pump drive with the cam gear and it felt and seemed in. When I put the distributor in it is not flush with the block. I've removed it and reinstalled it 3 times with the same result. Is this normal? I had the engine running today and I have oil pressure and there is no oil leaking from the distributor base area.

The more I think about it the more it concerns me.

Thank you

The distributer should fit solidly against the block. If you removed the oil pump shaft, you probably have it clocked differently than before. In or out of the car, place distributer/ vacuum advance in proper clocked position with rotor at #1. Rotate engine to TDC. Note flat at the bottom of shaft and what direction it is pointed. Now look at the oil pump shaft and note the position of the distributer drive slot. You may need to re-clock the drive shaft to mate to the distributer.

Any chance you got a piece of "something" down in the drive tang slot? Did this all fit previously, or did you replace the shaft/ distributor / etc?

Any chance you got a piece of "something" down in the drive tang slot? Did this all fit previously, or did you replace the shaft/ distributor / etc?
Can pump drive be inverted? Perhaps there’s a burr on it?
Pull o-ring off distributor and see if it drops down. I think i had a little trouble with mine,o ring needs to be greased up to slip down into bore.

Make sure that oil pump shaft rotates all the way in, and the Dizzy should sink right into that slot

I'm going to pull it again tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find. This is the original dizzy to this motor, but I just had the motor rebuilt. I did lube the o ring, hoping that would do the trick but it is still sitting a little above the block.

I'm going to pull it again tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find. This is the original dizzy to this motor, but I just had the motor rebuilt. I did lube the o ring, hoping that would do the trick but it is still sitting a little above the block.

Its not a 440 distributor is it?maybe someone changed it b4 you got it.....also the bushing may not be seated all the way in the block,if it's even been changed.

Agree with TF360, did the machine shop install a new bushing. If so they need burnished dont they?
I'll bet shaft and gear isnt seated all the way.
Make sure that oil pump shaft rotates all the way in, and the Dizzy should sink right into that slot

Pic of bushing.

dcc-1737725.jpg

The distributor will never be "flush" with the block it has a "lip" on it that the hold down clam rides on and will sit above the block. The bottom of that has to be flush to the block

"Burnish" applies to correcting the bore of a pressed bushing. Has no effect on height. We can't know if the correct height bushing was pressed all the way in. I don't know if their are different height bushings. One size fits all? If not the drive gears wouldn't mesh right.

It is still not clear to me what you have changed?

This is the original distributor, so it should fit. You didn't drop it and damage the drive tang?

Is it a new intermediate shaft/ gear?

It IS a new bushing, maybe it's not in right?

Pull the gear out and check the fit of the drive tang. If you have another/ old drive gear try subbing that

You NEED to fix this and you can NOT just force it. Maybe you know that...............

It is still not clear to me what you have changed?

This is the original distributor, so it should fit. You didn't drop it and damage the drive tang?

Is it a new intermediate shaft/ gear?

It IS a new bushing, maybe it's not in right?

Pull the gear out and check the fit of the drive tang. If you have another/ old drive gear try subbing that

You NEED to fix this and you can NOT just force it. Maybe you know that...............

It is a fresh rebuilt engine with the original intermediate shaft/gear and original distributor.
I am going to pull the intermediate shaft/gear tonight and try to re seat it and hope that is my problem.

How much is it sticking out? .040”? I’ve noticed that with new distributor o rings, that it can take some force to fully seat the distributor in all the way. If the o ring is near freezing temp, they don’t like to move around in their bore very well, even well lubed, and it feels like you’re going to snap the distributor housing. If you’re trying to put the distributor in and it won’t seat down, try turning the rotor. If you can only slightly wiggle it, then it’s properly seated in the intermediate shaft, you can then just slowly begin to torque down the distributor clamp.

I’ve tossed out new o rings and put the old ones back on, which look like conical packings at this point, they still work. And it’s really just to prevent the oil splash.

Also, with the intermediate shaft out, examine the oil pump drive hex. If it is twisted or damaged In any way, then you need a new one. It may be preventing the shaft to fully seat into the pump.

It is/was the O Ring! Way too thick! I took the advice of trimming it down,by removing material from the inside diameter. It is seating now flush with the block. Thank you all for all the suggestions and recommendations.

-
Back