318 in a 67 Notch???

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
I may be going to go look at a 67 Barracuda notch back. The guy selling states that it is all numbers matching with a 318. So, my question is: With the 318 not available until 1968, Was it possible for a 318 to make its way into a late production , 67? Thanks, Dennis.

could it be the old 318 wide block?

No wide block in a body

He probably doesn't know. It is a 273 if correct in a 67 a body in 68&69 it could be either 273 or 318 LA

check out the vin for correct engine then numbers on the engine

But really if a nice car and just a 2 barrel doesn't change the value any in my book if it is numbers matching or not. Condition is what brings the value up some unless really rare muscle car. Even a small block Formula S doesn't bring that much more money over a standard Barracuda.

I have had two 67 LA 318 Belvederes, who told you they didn't put them in 67's ?

If you mean A bodies...don't know for sure but wouldn't rule it out, if somebody asked for it, they probably got it, even if it wasn't a listed option.

The factory 67 Brochure only lists 273 4 bbl and 2 bbl. No 318.

318 was not available in a Barracuda in 67 from the factory.

I have also bought a 67 fastback parts car originally a 273 4 bbl that someone put a 69 318 in. It wasn't the original engine.

68 was first year for 318 in barracuda iirc. Along with the 340. 67 was the first 318 LA.

If I go look at it this week, I'll look for the "318" on the side of the block, and ask some questions.... Thanks...

This is part is the C.L. add:

"1967 Barracuda all matching numbers. 80,000 original miles. 318 3 on the tree. bucket seats.bluebook 10,000 asking 7500.

Check the 5th digit of the VIN. If it is a D the car came with a 273, a G would be a 318. The LA 318 was available in the US in '67 B and C bodies as well as trucks. Our northern brothers soldiered on with the Poly 318 until '68 when the LA 318 became available across the board. '68 was also the first year that Ma Mopar stamped VINs on engines and transmissions. Prior to that there was no way to prove the engine in the car was original to the car. As noted above, don't rule out the possibility of a car having an option that was not officially offered on that car line, especially if the car was built near the end of the production run. Weirdest '67 Valiant I ever saw was a 4 door, Signet outside trim and badging, with a 273 Commando/4 speed, Formula S suspension and badges, bench seat, stripper upholstery, rubber mats, radio delete. According to the VIN it was a plain Jane V100. It also came off the line 3 days before model year changeover. A lot of end of year weirdos were dumped in West Virginia back in those days because folks would buy them. After all, it was a new car and it was available...

I just looked at the Cl ad, looks like a LA small block, now it is your job to check out which one! Looks like it is a 2 barrel carb, but can't tell for sure. The Cuda is definitely a 67 - many people get the year wrong.

I just looked at the Cl ad, looks like a LA small block, now it is your job to check out which one! Looks like it is a 2 barrel carb, but can't tell for sure. The Cuda is definitely a 67 - many people get the year wrong.

Easy. Just pull the valve cover and look for adjustable or non-adjustable rockers. All 67 273's had adjustable rockers, all 318's had non-adjustable rockers.

Interesting you should ask that question. A couple of months ago I bought a 67 notchback Cuda off eBay. Guy claimed it was all original -- and he also said it was 318 in the listing. When I got the car and started to question him that a 318 was not available for that car, he came up with all kind of different stories. It was made with a Canadian engine. Other excuses came up. The guy was adamant that it was a 318, then he started to blame me for not doing my research. I wanted an original car, but I consider an engine swap kind of a serious change.

He also said that it had only one area of rust, and that was a whole bunch of crap. Look for areas of rust -- under the hood and in the trunk under the mat.

Anyway, the car starts in less than 1 second (which I really like) so I'm fixing it up. Bottom line: it is nice looking car.

Incidentally, I did some research and found a really nice original looking tire. It is a Maxxis 195/75R14 with a 3/4" whitewall available through Coker. It is a radial, fits on the 4.5" wheel width, and costs $83 per tire. Good luck.

Also, "numbers matching" is meaningless when you are talking about a 67 -- there are no numbers that match. So the guy doesn't know what he is talking about, to start with. I would bet it's a 273-2bbl and he just doesn't know the difference. People see my car all the time and the first thing they ask is "is it a 318?"... umm, no.

Going over to look at it today after work.
I'll let y'all know what I thought of it or if I bought it..
Thanks for all the info..

Yea, the Grump is right. Never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar. I worked at a Dodge dealer back then,, Lots of strange stuff showed up. Maybe like "Year End Clearance" on the assembly line.

Well I just got back from looking at the 67, Teringer was right, someone has put a "Polly" 318 in it. The 5th didget in the VIN is a "D", so it was a 273 to start with.

The guy has had it for about 3-4 years and has never had it running. He bought it with out ever hearing it run. That realy isn't a problem with me, I would have put a small block back in it any way.

The rest of the car: All the trim is there (in the back seat), has 70's buckets in it. The body needs a lot of work. Pass fender and Drivers rear quarter need replacing(big dents filled with Bondo), and some patch pannles on the Pass rear and Drivers front. Floor pans and trunk were in realy great shape.

But I think Iam going to pass on this car. Here is the CL link:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4738230198.html

Well I just got back from looking at the 67, Teringer was right, someone has put a "Polly" 318 in it. The 5th didget in the VIN is a "D", so it was a 273 to start with.

The guy has had it for about 3-4 years and has never had it running. He bought it with out ever hearing it run. That realy isn't a problem with me, I would have put a small block back in it any way.

The rest of the car: All the trim is there (in the back seat), has 70's buckets in it. The body needs a lot of work. Pass fender and Drivers rear quarter need replacing(big dents filled with Bondo), and some patch pannles on the Pass rear and Drivers front. Floor pans and trunk were in realy great shape.

But I think Iam going to pass on this car. Here is the CL link:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4738230198.html

Pics in the ad show it to be a LA, not a poly. Apparently the owner has no clue what his car has.

Poly motors have valve cover bolts in the center of v.c., a dead giveaway. I pulled a1966 Dodge Coronet 500 out of a back yard. Under the hood was a /6. Called Galen Govier, he said it was not offered. Isent him VIN and fender tag. He confirmed it was one of none. Car was f.u.b.a.r. Moral: never say never

Pics in the ad show it to be a LA, not a poly. Apparently the owner has no clue what his car has.

The pics are very deceiving, I thought it was an L.A. from the pics but when he opened the hood it is definitely a wide block "Polly" engine. But the guy knew nothing about the car or the value in its current condition. It would make a good project for someone, but not for me. I'll just keep working on the Valiant. Honestly I think the car is worth around 2k as is....

-
Back