318 LA torque?

-
that 256 degree Voodoo or
Mike Jones H440D64307 256° .461″ w 1.5 .491 w 1.6
Howard and Bullet may also have a cam in this class (well Crower ask our frequent crower poster) and Engle also)
but I think Jones is fatter where it counts it has half again as mutch duration at .275 lobe lift than the DC 260!
These would be Max for a torque pull where you do not want to get on the bigger is better but loose more and more low end treadmill (gears etc)
I still think a 5.9 magnum swap is the way to go

So what cam do you have in mind? And the rest of the build? I'm trying to find a low compression, low cost 318 build with 350 ft-lbs torque below 3000 RPM as the OP requested, and am coming up blank.

I think one of the smaller Crane Powermax cams would be good. I would run what I call the "Crane magic cam" but some would say it's a bit big.

Torque in a NA engine is mainly tied to displacement.
The average engine a hobbyist will have puts out about 1.1 to 1.25 lbs-ft per cid, 350 to 400 lbs-ft at the crank for a 318.

To me torque is an odd goal.
Torque is basically a snapshop of one revolution and the main factor that decides peak torque is VE%.
Power or HP is all the revolutions (rpm). added up.
What your really talking about is usable powerband.

For race engine under 3000 rpm is of little concern most of the time. For a street engine idle to 3000 rpm is the most important especially for a tow truck. Problem is theres little to help over stock low power engine other than low restriction exhaust and cr. But you can stretch the powerband by choosing part that will give up little or even add down low will adding useable power above 3000 rpm.

Hp is a function of torque and rpm, street engines are limited to usable rpm so the only way to greatly increase power in the idle to 5500 rpm range is displacement. Or a power adder.

I have an 84 D100 with a 318LA, operating at 900ft elevation.
Here's my recipe; stock 1973 smogger-teen just freshened up. She's got a TQ on her with a small-port iron intake, dual exhaust, an A 998 TorqueFlite with 2.74-1.54-1.00 gears, a 2800 TC, and 3.55s with 28s. And she fries the tires in first gear and gets sideways at 30 mph.
That starter gear is 3.55x2.74x24/28=8.33 corrected to a 24" tire. With 31s you would need 3.91s to be about the same.
If you have an A833, you would need a bit more gear to compensate for the lack of the convertor, so figure 4.10s.
But if you have a NP 435 with a granny gear; for spirited driving,that will have to go.
If you do the 5.9 engine swap, the NP 435 will be the deal breaker, so get rid of it first (unless your primary concern is towing. And yur still gonna need the 4.10s. The Magnum is gonna need a 4bbl and intake,and also gonna need dual exhaust. Headers with that stock cam are optional.
So do yourself a favor and just do all that to your LA first, and see how that wakes her up..
Then if you feel like you need more, then, you can re-think the situation, having lost no money in the swaps.
But if you do the Magnum first, and then discover the need for gears and a different trans, where's that money coming from?
But if you are at over 5000ft, forget the stock LA; it has no cylinder pressure up there.

And finally; you are gonna need to do something with the rear suspension, cuz wheel-hop will rattle your fillings, and start your kidney stones moving out to your bladder, and you will wake up in the middle of the night thinking you are dying, and you cannot get to the hospital fast enough. After you get there, they will put you on the backburner cuz you ain't in fact dying, you just can't take the pain that lil rascal is giving you. About 30 or 40 minutes after arriving you will come out of the MRI machine and the tech will tell you there are 7 more stones in there, most are bigger than the 5mil you are passing, and btw; nurse, give this man some morphine. 30 minutes later; clink, that rascal falls into the toilet bowl and the morphine is just starting to dull your "discomfort".
Knowing about those 7 others now, you will be taking every precaution you can think of, to not have another one leave it's home base,lol.
Course if you're anything like me, you'll just preach to them and pee sand for a couple of days;which is an interesting feeling,lol.
Yeah so anyway here's what I'm saying;
with the 3.55s and 31s right now 55mph is 2120 rpm and your teener, at 2120 might have a max torque available of say about 200 ftlbs/80hp. So if your load is heavy enough, your LA will not maintain 55. By 65 the rpm is up to 2500, close to peak torque with a stock LA and maybe she's putting out 240ftlbs/114hp to the crank. But now wind-resistance is sucking up the power, and maybe she still doesn't tow the load. Jus saying.
But with 4.10s, the rpm at 55 will be 2450, and with the smaller amount of wind resistance, that same previously too-heavy load, will now maybe come along. And 65 will now be 2900, and maybe that LA will have enough power to tow that same previously too-heavy load.That's what TM(Torque Multiplication) will do for you.
Now in first gear, if you currently have a granny-geared NP435, with a low gear of around 4.5(I forget the ratios of that grain-truck trans), then with the 3.55s,your current road gear is, 13.69/1, corrected to a 24" tire. With the A833 this will drop to 2.66x4.10x24/31= 8.44; so that would be abit of a shock. But at least you can downshift into it ....

Last edited:
RRR you thinking of the HR Powermax? I think 210 and greater are too big

No, I said what I was talking about. Flat tappet. He HAS an LA 318 already.

Depends on how it's ground. I like the Crane 693801. 222/234 @.050, but it's ground on a 114. Idles like a stock 340 and has a power band just off idle to 6K. Has good street manners, a high vacuum signal and runs power brakes easily.

278 @.004 or better than 270 @.006 late intake close for a low compression motor
he can get the same lift with Jones 256@.006 cam and more area under the lift curve
Jones cam is also really short at .002 and .004 and asymetrical so it gets the intake closed early to build some compression
I think he would have to change gears to make a 270 class cam work as a work truck
still think the cubic inches make more sense
sorry about the powermax - when I googled it the HR was all that came up- since them I looked at the catalog
Lunati would be a better lobe but isn't it on 108?

On a 114, on a 114, on a 114. That makes all the difference in the world.

you got that right
my 360 is on a 112 but it's a mopar master not a chevy so the timing's shorter\
problem with low compression is the wide lobe centers close the intake even later mine has a true 9:1 with Iron heads and a towing application
you do not build compression till the intake is completely closed
one reason the factory hyd cams suck is the very long closing ramps (for anti noise reasons mostly during long warranty)

Ahhhh, good point! I didn’t swap the front of the engine. I used the Magnum cover forwards. This required an electric fuel pump. I used Edelbrock’s electric duel pump designed for carbs, no regulator needed. Just the fuel pump and install kit. (Regulator)
Also ez to do.

What pump is that sir?

What pump is that sir?

Pump
Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pumps 1791

Under suggested parts, a relay; Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pumps 1791

Also add in fuel fittings & rubber hose. I spliced the pump in between the fuel sending unit at the tank and used the OE line. Where the mechanical pump was, I just used rubber line to connect the body fuel line to what would be the out of the fuel pump hard line and also placed a filter there. Being my car is a ‘79, there is a fuel return line that I hooked up to the filter like stock was done when new.

you got that right
my 360 is on a 112 but it's a mopar master not a chevy so the timing's shorter\
problem with low compression is the wide lobe centers close the intake even later mine has a true 9:1 with Iron heads and a towing application
you do not build compression till the intake is completely closed
one reason the factory hyd cams suck is the very long closing ramps (for anti noise reasons mostly during long warranty)

I think I get what you are saying;
I once put a 340 cam and X-heads on a smogger-teen, and that teen needed 4.10s and a hi-stall,just to get off the line. It did however have pretty good passing power at 65 mph in second gear with 3.23s.
Whereas one particular 340short combo I assembled as a teenager, with early teen heads and cam, was an absolute blast to drive, 2bbl and all.
A lotta effective compression, brings an A-game to a streeter, which for the most part is a oneandahalf to two gear deal, and spends most of it's life just cruizing around.
IIRC that 340 cam in my 1970 Swinger340 4gear/3.55s was a 268/276/114 cam with 44* overlap. As I remember it that cam was rated at .008 tappet lift. And that engine was rated at 10.5 Scr altho I never had it apart to actually measure it. I thought that car was pretty quick back in the day, going 98 in the quarter. It was 3330 with me in it.
My second-iteration 367 had a 270/276/110/53* overlap Hughes cam also rated at .008 which I installed in my 10.9Scr Eddie headed 3650pound beast me also in it, and that combo went 106 on it's maiden run. Also a 4-gear/3.55s.
The first engine maths out to a W/P of 13.5 so at 3330 that is 247 hp
The second is a W/P of 10.8 so should be 338hp@3650pounds
That's 91 hp
Where'd it come from? Well that's anybody's guess, but the second combo had headers and 28 more cubes so that's gotta be worth an easy 45hp. Leaving say 46 in the Eddies and cam, cuz it sure won't be in the approximate 1 point of static compression ratio.
I have no idea what the Eddies may bring to the table, but let's look at those cams;
Mopar says that 268 cam is a 228/235/114/44 overlap cam@.429/.444@1.5 arms
And Hughes says their 270 is 223/230/110/53overlap cam*@.538/.549 @1.6 arms
So the Mopar appears to be one size bigger @.050, but several sizes smaller in lift. Lets call the power specs a wash. But what about the Effective Crs? Well without degreeing those cams and trying to pinpoint a closed and not leaking intake spec, It would be impossible to say. But we could have fun guessing.......
What if the actual intake duration on that Mopar cam @.001lift was 300* and the Scr was 9.9 in the 340. Then the pressure would be predicted to be 133psi@ sealevel, and
What if the Hughes gets to .001 at 290* and is installed at 10.9Scr, then the pressure is predicted to be 170psi@sealevel
Wait what? Go do the math yourself.Wallace Racing: Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator
Then you back up the bus and factor in what the headers are doing with the 53* overlap on the 360 versus the logs and 44* Mopar overlap, and you gotta wonder why my car only went 106, right? LOL.

Anyhow it's always fun to speculate, but I just gotta throw this out there;
Wide LSAs give up overlap, and cranking cylinder pressure.
The pressure you can usually get back,or work around, but the loss of overlap, if you're running headers, is for me, a deal breaker. I think it was Smokey Yunich who called overlap, the Fifth Cycle.
Also; wide LSAs with long period cams throw away fuel economy, by leaving a lotta energy still in the exhaust. This may look cool when it blasts dirt up, 2 or 3feet behind your car, but you pay for that coolness every time you fill the tank. This becomes even more pronounced with long, slow-to-close-after-advertised-spec, ramps.
Take for instance that Mopar 268/276/114 cam that might be (I'm guessing)300/308/114 at valves finally sealed. But let's just say you had a cam, some cam, some other cam, whatever-cam, like that, then the actual on the seat and sealed specs could be;
intake opens at 40BTDC closes at 80ABDC for 300*
exhaust opens 92ATDC, closes 36ATDC for 308*
Compression is thus just 100*, and
Power is 88* , and
Overlap is 76*
Cruising speed with 3.55s might be 2800 and the vacuum peaks at about 2000, perhaps a little less... meaning reversion is no longer an issue at cruise rpm. So by itself, reversion is not affecting fuel economy,much.
So why are 340s known to be gas-guzzlers? Well look at that 88* of power extraction; the piston is not even half way down when pop, the exhaust begins to open,and that hi-pressure,still burning, not-yet-spent charge goes right out into the exhaust, never giving all it could to the crank.
And maybe, just maybe, some of that hi-pressure exhaust as it moves thru the log manifold, finds it's way into another low-pressure cylinder, screwing it up .
Additionally,if you have headers, then they do their magic, and yank a portion of every fresh charge right thru the chamber and into the exhaust, with that 76* of overlap.
I'm not pointing the finger at the 340 cam specifically, just using it as an example; all long-period-slow-ramp cams are gonna have this characteristic, to one degree or another. But, you say, the Mopar 268 is not a long-period cam. Well, no, looking at the .050 spec it's not. And looking at the advertised spec it's kindof middle of the road for a streeter. But when you look at the seat to seat closed and not-leaking, just how big is it really?IDK, I haven't measured one; but I bet there are several other companies that can get you a quite-a-bit shorter seat to seat/not leaking, still at 268/276/*** or,more importantly, cut you a 228/235 with really short seat-to-seat/not leaking.
So in my opinion, as for myself, I would be willing to replace my cam quite often,and install a cam with the fastest ramps possible, before sacrificing pressure and overlap to a quiet, long-lasting slow-ramp cam. In year2000 when I installed that cam, that's what I thought I was getting with the HE 2430AL Hughes cam. Silly me. It did however teach me a lot about cams. If there is another cam in my future, it's gonna be custom for sure.

Last edited:
A stock two barrel 1968 318 puts out 340 ft/lbs, the same as the 340 just at a lower rpm.

"I once put a 340 cam and X-heads on a smogger-teen, and that teen needed 4.10s and a hi-stall,just to get off the line. It did however have pretty good passing power at 65 mph in second gear with 3.23s."
you got it right aj DON'T DO IT unless you ae going racing (in a stock cam class) and have it reved up ALL the time
the 340 cam is around 300 seat to seat and the 440 magnum even larger (and lazier)
the mopar book is wrong
"Mopar says that 268 cam is a 228/235/114/44 overlap cam@.429/.444@1.5 arms" (lift is correct and very anemic)
340 cam is in the 209 range on the intake- and it just takes forever getting there- the closing ramps are worse than the opening side
the use of some magic factor in the mopar advertised durations to estimat duration is worthless factory cams are different (worse) than MP cams and MP cams changed through the years
the factory durations are consistent and may realistically compared with other factory cams and the DC/MP cams
can use .008 as a reasonable estimator- but again it's different on the open and close also you can compare with Racer Brown and Engle and Isky Mega cams (not quite)

OMG! Are you still droning on about what the factory did in ‘68?!?! And then dare to compare to a newer cam? Seriously?

A stock two barrel 1968 318 puts out 340 ft/lbs, the same as the 340 just at a lower rpm.
That's what the advertising says yes.
But ask yourself how this is possible. This goes back to effective pressure.
To the 340 cam above, I arbitrarily added 16* to both ends of the 268, to get that 300* seat to seat,not-leaking, and a realistic 9.9 Scr to get a predicted pressure of 133psi@ sealevel.
I wouldn't think the 318 cam would have quite as slow ramps, so still guessing, lets give it 12* at each end, added to the factory 240/248/112 cam that would make it 264/272/112 seat-to seat closed and not leaking. In at 108 the Ica would be 60 and at a realistic 7.8Scr the pressure would be predicted to be 123psi ...
So now, there is only 10 psi pressure difference between them.
And so after cylinder filling efficiencies are worked out, say the 318 hits 5% better at 2400, than the 340, it's easy to see the 318 being nearly as peppy to more peppy, than the 340, in the lower rpms,all other things being equal.
And that's why I would never recommend to put a 340 cam into an X-headed smogger-teen city-car, with a 1750stall TC and 3.23s,lol. That was not one of my better ideas; but a 2800 and 4.10s sorta took the sting away.That was a one-time lesson, over 40 years ago.

Aj - is it impossible to explain it simple enough for rumble to understand?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It’s more of an issue with my eyes bleeding from reading posts almost as long as Homers Iliad!

My brain got it, somewhere in the grey folds long forgotten. I used to write long winded posts by AJ has not only cornered the market, he became KING!

Gotta love AJ though!:usflag::thumbsup:

I’m glad my teaching days are over. It is hard repeating yourself year after year. The worst part are people who are there that truly don’t get it but insist they want to learn but yet argue your wrong when they have ZERO experience even turning a wrench!

The best is when I say, “Pass me the 3/4 - 1/2 to me.”
(3/4 socket on the 1/2 drive ratchet)
Then I get a freakin screw driver and a blank look looking for approval.

Put up with that crap and let me know how ya feel?!?!

rumble
don't get me wrong
a 340 cam is a fine baseline for a high compression 340 with good gas
or high or LOW compression one being used for racing with low gears and a converter
just a dog in a low compression motor with stock gears and tight converter

a dog in a low compression motor with stock gears and tight converter
Especially in a smogger-teen DD,lol.
I mean that 340 cam in a 318 doesn't hardly wake up until 4000rpm which with 2.76s is 45 mph in first gear. Yeah so,I'll never do that again. 4.10's were better; 4000 now being 30 mph, still no rocket. But the 2800TC made it bearable. I'll still never do that again.
As you said; "just a dog in a low compression motor,with stock gears and tight converter". But I'll go a step further than that, and say; even with what might be considered a normal street combo with 3.55s and a 2500TC; I just wouldn't do it. It's just way better to chose a fast rate of lift slightly smaller cam and save money, while having waaay more fun.
I've had several stock 340 cars and none of them were particularly torquey with the stock gears and transmissions. Now imagine them with 22 less cubes and 2.5 points less compression. IDK........
318s cam make a lotta off-idle torque, just not with that 340 cam.

-
Back