-
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossRam65

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm aware this is a hugely typical and popular sitch... swapping out the 6 cyl in my 65 Cuda for a 318 / 904 transmission combo. I might be open to a rebuild scenario, but would ultimately like to obtain a recently running 318 from a seller doing a big block upgrade or something similar. WITH the 904 would be preferred. Thanks!
** SoCal/L.A. area...**
Let me know whatch'a got !

Last edited:
I'm aware this is a hugely typical and popular sitch... swapping out the 6 cyl in my 65 Cuda for a 318 / 904 transmission combo. I might be open to a rebuild scenario, but would ultimately like to obtain a recently running 318 from a seller doing a big block upgrade or something similar. WITH the 904 would be preferred. Thanks!
Spring Fling happening soon in Van Nuys. lots of goodies there and close to you.
Chrysler Performance West - Mopar Spring Fling & Fall Fling

How about a 38 with a 727? It's still in the truck and it runs right now. Under the hood, on the options sticker, it says 318 HD so I started researching what made a 318 heavy duty. The HD option was popular on commercial and public/government trucks. The highlight of what made these HD is the 360 four barrel intake manifold. I guess otherwise 318's got 2 barrels. I have not checked the heads to see if they are 587's (1.88/1.60) but it is rumored that the 318 HD's had them versus the 1.78/1.50 heads.
This was a CalTrans fleet maintained vehicle. I have a new car oil pan for it because I was going to put it in a 73 Duster. You would need an A-body tailshaft for the 727.

In San Diego.

Last edited:
I would need to keep the carb, pulleys, brackets, power steering, alternator, exhaust manifolds, and plug wires.

Have a rebuilt and run low mile stock cam 318 2brl motor along with a sb 904 that probably needs rebuilt.

How about a 38 with a 727? It's still in the truck and it runs right now. Under the hood, on the options sticker, it says 318 HD so I started researching what made a 318 heavy duty. The HD option was popular on commercial and public/government trucks. The highlight of what made these HD is the 360 four barrel intake manifold. I guess otherwise 318's got 2 barrels. I have not checked the heads to see if they are 587's (1.88/1.60) but it is rumored that the 318 HD's had them versus the 1.78/1.50 heads.
This was a CalTrans fleet maintained vehicle. I have a new car oil pan for it because I was going to put it in a 73 Duster. You would need an A-body tailshaft for the 727.

In San Diego.

Hey Fish... Appreciate the reply. I'm not sure the 727 fits in the transmission tunnel. Are you upgrading to a bigger motor and planning on pulling it out, anyway? I'm in L.A. so its a bit of a way between us, but, who knows right now. I got a few more options thrown at me that I'm going to check out.What year is it?

Let's stay in touch, okay? Thank you so much! Talk soon. - Warren

Hey Buddy,

Where are you located... Is engine in a vehicle now or not? Do you. know the year of it?

Thanks for the reply! - Warren

QUOTE="MOPAROFFICIAL, post: 1973807564, member: 46768"]Have a rebuilt and run low mile stock cam 318 2brl motor along with a sb 904 that probably needs rebuilt.[/QUOTE]
Have a rebuilt and run low mile stock cam 318 2brl motor along with a sb 904 that probably needs rebuilt.

Hey Fish... Appreciate the reply. I'm not sure the 727 fits in the transmission tunnel. Are you upgrading to a bigger motor and planning on pulling it out, anyway? I'm in L.A. so its a bit of a way between us, but, who knows right now. I got a few more options thrown at me that I'm going to check out.What year is it?

Let's stay in touch, okay? Thank you so much! Talk soon. - Warren

I have an aluminum head .060+ 318 built and ready to go into it. I also have a 727 that was built with performance parts and has just a few thousand miles on it that I'm going to use. The owner decided to go with a big block so I ended up with it.

Therefore, the engine and trans in the orange truck can be available. It is a 1976. I may be able to bring the engine up on my way to Spring Fling in Van Nuys. An LA will just fit in the back of my Jetta wagon. An engine hoist would be needed on your end.

I would say you could get by with dressing this engine up and running it like it is (rattle can rebuild) or rebuild it. It doesn't smoke and it has a good intake (360 4 barrel). It can go for many more miles. A cam, hypereutectics to add compression, HV oil pump, and standard head work would make it a performance engine. That was my plan when I was thinking about putting it in my second Duster.

The 727 will fit but you have to hammer the body crimp seam flat with a hammer in the tunnel entrance. Not hard to do. The 727 is 4" longer so you'd need a 4" shorter drive shaft but certain trucks got a shorter tailshaft 727. Not sure what trucks. HD 318's (318-3) may also have: double roller chains, lower compression pistons, steel cranks and sodium exhaust valves + rotators on the springs.

HD 318's (318-3) may also have: double roller chains, lower compression pistons, steel cranks and sodium exhaust valves + rotators on the springs.

Will the balancer look like a 1973 340 balancer if it's cast (Use For Cast Crank Only)? How do I confirm it's a steel crank? In my research I read that steel cranks were possible but couldn't find out how to tell the difference.

The intake casting numbers say it's a 360 intake and if it is indeed factory equipped then I would assume the heads are 360 heads because the intake ports would be bigger than the tiny 318 head's ports. I'll try to get the valve cover pulled and check out the numbers.

Hey Buddy,

Where are you located... Is engine in a vehicle now or not? Do you. know the year of it?

Thanks for the reply! - Warren

QUOTE="MOPAROFFICIAL, post: 1973807564, member: 46768"]Have a rebuilt and run low mile stock cam 318 2brl motor along with a sb 904 that probably needs rebuilt.
[/QUOTE]
I'll go look. Maybe a 72

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back