318 power?

-
Funny how family sedans Now come with basically muscle car power just put in overweight cars my Dodge Avenger rated net 283 hp @ 6400 rpm and from what's posted 14.5-15 second et.
Put it in a well setup A Body be quite the combo, especially light weight early A.
with the tranny ratios there 3rd is like 1st in 727 with 3.23s
let them start in 3rd see how they do all the regular and some of the faster chit but not the ultra hp chit
better heads
vvt
etc

The 1970 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 350 was no slouch and neither were those late 60's Nova's with the 350 hp 327

The 1970 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 350 was no slouch and neither were those late 60's Nova's with the 350 hp 327
liked 66 67 ss chevy ll they were lighter that was chevys a-body mopar lol

Fundamentally though, there's still no replacement for displacement.

Fundamentally though, there's still no replacement for displacement.
If the displacement produces horsepower, many factory big blocks didn't. most were better suited for trucks. lol

Funny how family sedans Now come with basically muscle car power just put in overweight cars my Dodge Avenger rated net 283 hp @ 6400 rpm and from what's posted 14.5-15 second et.
Yep, my family sedan has 400hp and runs high 12's off the showroom floor and is easily able to be uncorked for another 100hp or so.
Our 6 bangers back in the 70's ran 14.1 out of the box, high 13s with some good tyres.

dan read ready
5.0 auto mustangs ran 15.0 the fastest @90 mph most were 15.4 in the 87 88 mph area in 3300 lb car
340 auto ran 14.3@97 mph 3400 lb car
getting beat by 7 cars or more is 2 bus lengths
4 cars is getting your doors blown off
if you ran 14.7 in a 340 A-body you should quit racing and buy a scooter
From what you showed that's only .4 seconds difference, that's not much

From what you showed that's only .4 seconds difference, that's not much
its 7/10s faster then the fastest auto 5.0 danny or 7 car lengths thats 2 buses
do some racing then run your mouth
watching and reading doesnt mean much
clearly you have not raced or built anything
a stock 340 with intake and carb or just carb 3.55s and traction is 13.5 thats 15 cars faster then the fastest 5.0 auto foxbody
ive owned them both what part do you not understand
my gf 5.0 auto 1990 gt 2.73 gears ran 15.0 @ 89
quit while you behind danny

What has more potential a stroked 383 RB 4.03 x 4.5 = 459 or Stock bore stroke 4.34 x 3.38 = 400 ?
I'd tend to say the 459 but I'm assuming there's some gotcha coming.

I have a 400 block myself, waiting for a proper stroker project.

a stock 340 with intake and carb or just carb 3.55s and traction is 13.5 thats 15 cars faster then the fastest 5.0 auto foxbody
That's unnecessarily rude. You just look like the *** you are.

If the displacement produces horsepower, many factory big blocks didn't. most were better suited for trucks. lol
Displacement doesn't produce horsepower. But it does produce torque. That's the thing you feel. Hp is just a calculation.

Displacement doesn't produce horsepower. But it does produce torque. That's the thing you feel. Hp is just a calculation.
A tractor engine produces torque. lol
and with a 4.03 bore you can't get enough head to match a 4.32 bores ability.
I don't think my Indy 440-1 head will work with a dinky 4.03 bore. lol

I always get enough head

My name Dan. Not danny. Understand

I'd tend to say the 459 but I'm assuming there's some gotcha coming.

I have a 400 block myself, waiting for a proper stroker project.
It wasn't meant to be a gotcha, it's should of been I see there's some faults in the logic in my statement and we went on with our days :) Instead it seam's like you answered a question that wasn't asked or you're just wrong.

Since there tons of variables you got take things to the max, there's two main limits piston speed and valve size, Mean Piston Speed (fpm)=(Stroke x 2 x RPM)/12 say 5000 fpm for both.
So 3.38 = 8,876 rpm and 4.5 = 6,667 rpm, rpm is displacement over time and air is what's being displaced we measure that in cfm 459 x 6667 = 885 cfm, 400 x 8,876 = 1027 cfm that's 16% more air & fuel so 16% more potential energy. 2nd is valves which port size air flow etc...

So can you build 500-600 hp with the 459 sure will it be more street friendly then a 400 again sure. So it's more like is the displacement a good match to the power I want and where in the rpms I want it, sure it doesn't roll off the tongue.

I don't think reality always nicely fits into the equations. This coming from a mechanical engineer.

A 459 will in most real cases whip a 400, I believe. Lots of guys have proven that with the classic 451. Equations and calculators often make alot of simplifications and assumptions that just aren't reflective of reality.

I just simply stated how a friend of mine's 5.0 mustang blew the doors off a duster with a built 318 and the next thing I know guy's are talking about 340's, 360's, etc. I think that there are guys on here that don't want to admit that mopars can, have and will be beat, it's just the way it is. Your opponent could have a well put together combination with a good suspension system and have good driving skills and that's all it takes. Just because it's a 340 car doesn't make it the fastest car out there.

I don't think reality always nicely fits into the equations. This coming from a mechanical engineer
The question was which has more potential, your just changing the question to suit how you want to answer it. Of course a 4.03" bore has more than enough potential to build what the average build does probably a 273 3.625" bore is enough bore to accomplish the average guy hp.
A 459 will in most real cases whip a 400, I believe. Lots of guys have proven that with the classic 451.
So under your reasoning engines under 440/454/460 are doomed to lose most of the time.
Equations and calculators often make alot of simplifications and assumptions that just aren't reflective of reality.
That didn't stop you from leaving a statement of oversimplification and filled with a lot of assumptions.

Added, Really that's my point that is there's more to this then the somewhats general statements misleading people to believe Eg. No replacement for displacement, Torque is king etc...

Last edited:
Are we talking real cases or real potential.
I'll take a 4.32" over a 4.03" bore twice on Sunday.

I just simply stated how a friend of mine's 5.0 mustang blew the doors off a duster with a built 318 and the next thing I know guy's are talking about 340's, 360's, etc. I think that there are guys on here that don't want to admit that mopars can, have and will be beat, it's just the way it is. Your opponent could have a well put together combination with a good suspension system and have good driving skills and that's all it takes. Just because it's a 340 car doesn't make it the fastest car out there.
It's just weird how people see this stuff a 11s Lada will smoke anything with slower e.t. than it, be a 340 360 408 hemi Ls 460 540 etc.. There's engine's of every size and shape doing 12/11/10/9s etc.. Tons of different ways to get there.

Well it runs in the car is an absolute mystery for a guess.
It could run like a dog if the car has no traction and make 400 still.

As an engineer you should know this is wrong torque has no movement to it, it's the sum effect of torque and rpm you feel that moves and accelerates your car, which we normally call ? Any guesses

It's like saying Watt's is only a calculation and Amps is the only value of any concern in a electrical circuit.

Last edited:
-
Back