318 power?

-
Get real. You want to compare, then compare apples with apples. The 302 Ford was their economy engine. So compare it with a Mopar 318 or GM 305. In emissions guise these all had crappy cams and lower compression.
You want to compare your 340, do so with the competition performance engines. The 340 was a performance oriented engine. Not all the 350 competitors were performance oriented either. Ford and the General built many 350 cube engines with 2V carburetors. Compare with 4V 350 GM or the Ford 351W and 351C engines. AMC 304 was an economy engine while the 360 had more performance potential.
Dale, I did not say 302 but did say 5.0. Maybe I should of added 90's Mustangs that had 5.0 badges, dual exhausts, manual transmissions and romping cams. Would also add, I never pushed a run on the streets, so if someone wanted to "HOT DOG" it and it was a safe street I would take them on. Don't know if they had 4 bbl carbs or fuel injection, but the 60's Corvettes I have run were all 4 bbl's, but do not know the motor CI, but even the 327's had more HP than the 340's. I do think I'm comparing apples to apples. With you quote on performance potential, that would depend on what you need. A small roundy - round track, I would want a short stroke small block motor than a large stroke any size of block. As a top end motor, you may be correct on the long stroke 360 over the other motors mentioned.

I just simply stated how a friend of mine's 5.0 mustang blew the doors off a duster with a built 318 and the next thing I know guy's are talking about 340's, 360's, etc. I think that there are guys on here that don't want to admit that mopars can, have and will be beat, it's just the way it is. Your opponent could have a well put together combination with a good suspension system and have good driving skills and that's all it takes. Just because it's a 340 car doesn't make it the fastest car out there.
Fastest car out there today? there are many...new Corvettes are 13 seconds in the 1/4 stock, I've seen modern challengers do 11s and the guy was on a laptop tweaking the tune in the staging lanes. 340 cars were fast "in their time" just like Fox bodies were in the mid 80s. It's really about bang for the buck can a guy buy something as a base platform to start with and make it into something with some bolt ons and tuning... as always, Just my $.02

Fastest car out there today? there are many...new Corvettes are 13 seconds in the 1/4 stock, I've seen modern challengers do 11s and the guy was on a laptop tweaking the tune in the staging lanes. 340 cars were fast "in their time" just like Fox bodies were in the mid 80s. It's really about bang for the buck can a guy buy something as a base platform to start with and make it into something with some bolt ons and tuning... as always, Just my $.02
vettes are high 10s low 11s
11s is the new norm for the fastest chit
2003 zo6 vette was turning 117 trap speeds thats mid 11s with traction
the new chit today traps in the 120s up thats 10s in the 1/4 with traction
trap speed and weight tell the story
driver and setup is why it doesnt run what the above says it should

simple math

I understand what you're saying but the cars you mentioned are pretty much outta reach for the average person. Sadly enough, ( imho ) the last and best bang for the buck as far as late model cars goes was the 80's 5.0 mustang. They responded well to budget bolt ons. One thing that a lot of the mustang guys did was to find a explorer and use the upper / lower intake manifold, throttle body, injectors and cylinder heads, some were gt40 and gt40p heads. The gt40 heads were known for a 25 or so horsepower increase. Chrysler has been behind the performance world until they brought back the hemi.

I agree... but keep in mind if say restoring a 71 340 Duster to stock specs it wont be fast by todays standards. it wont beat a late model vette or challenger same with a stock fox body, but yes they will be alot of fun on the street. Definitely the cool factor new challengers are everywhere, nice 340 dusters I don't see every day any more. However it doesn't matter unless you are racing, alot of guys are race minded but not alot actually race. I am a resto guy really, I like a nice street car that I can take to the strip, I don't want to take the back seat out of it and install a roll bar necessarily. I also like ripping it at top speed in my Fox body on the highway and out running soccer mom in minivans,thats where the 2 73 rear comes in handy. :)

it will smoke a stock fox body with just intake carb and a tune
68 to 70 340s lost 20 hp on just the carb they fixed it in 71
dont sell your 340 short its 13.4 with 3.55s 13.7 with 3.23s
stock foxbody coupe cant run that even with dag radials
challengers differnt story

challengers different story
If you can get them to hook. I get a charge out of the guys that switch off the traction control and they go up in smoke through at least the first 3 gears. Like the good ol' days with the bias ply tires.

If you can get them to hook. I get a charge out of the guys that switch off the traction control and They go up in smoke through at least the first 3 gears. Like the good ol' days with the bias ply tires.
love the rear tire setup on the 71 dart never would have thought a 255 would fit

I agree... but keep in mind if say restoring a 71 340 Duster to stock specs it wont be fast by todays standards. it wont beat a late model vette or challenger same with a stock fox body, but yes they will be alot of fun on the street. Definitely the cool factor new challengers are everywhere, nice 340 dusters I don't see every day any more. However it doesn't matter unless you are racing, alot of guys are race minded but not alot actually race. I am a resto guy really, I like a nice street car that I can take to the strip, I don't want to take the back seat out of it and install a roll bar necessarily. I also like ripping it at top speed in my Fox body on the highway and out running soccer mom in minivans,thats where the 2 73 rear comes in handy. :)
Looks like Chrysler is getting out of the performance area as this is the last year for the hemi
Get a Challenger. Hellcat, Demon, DragPak, etc.

Run a 9 second quarter with the air conditioner on.
Who can afford a 70k plus car? I sure can't

The new electric Corvette is the fastest vette ever, 0-60 in 2.5 sec.

That's 21 new Swinger 340's Dodge Darts.

Not true Dan, Dodge is coming out with a BAD EV of their own next year, I hear.
Back to the drawing board with the new EV the Dodge Diehard. LOL

The only tuning tools that I ever owned was a timing light, vacuum gauge, tach dwell meter.

hot rod garage episode of 85 5.0 5spd carb version build up
did a baseline of 15.4 ish 90 mph lmao super fast huh dan
thru a bunch of parts on it intake 750 dp (to big for a stock 5.0 lmfao ) cat back exhaust
3 runs later 15.10 with some type of drag radial lol the 340 is scared now
next up full ignition msd wires etc
3 more runs
1 20.49
2 16.49
3 15.73
comments i dont think we have the dizzy dialed in yet lmfaooooo
next up ford motor sport e303 or b303 the factory hp cams and trick flow alum heads
i cant find the video of those times
it mid to low 14s not as fast as my stock notch as i recall
maybe 14.2@99 lmfao
they were flamed on social media for building it wrong and going slower
3.73 gears should have been 1st
not a full bolt ons but leave the 2.73s
classic case add alot of parts look cool at the car show
but lose to my stock coupe by 14 cars 15.73 to 14.3
after the heads and cam would be a close race give me there slicks they lose

they were embarrassed and revisted the build in another episode
they put in a fully built brand new engine cant find the vid
14.1 101 2.73 slicks
13.9 102 2.73 slicks
13.5 105 3.73 slicks
eventually
mid 12s 108 a proper fox body with bolt on might have spray cant recall

The guys I knew that ran Fox body seriously as in bracket racing ran stroker engines with either a supercharger or NOS. I worked as a line tech at a Ford dealer and a handful of the single guys built cars and raced them . This was 23 years ago around 2000, so I seen them up close, I watched them tear them down after breaking them over the weekend. I watched the one guy sell his car to get out of it only to buy another a year and a half later, its an addiction I suppose...

I personally cant comment as I never raced, had kids young never had 10 grand a year to blow on it. I do however have street versions of these cars my 86 Fox vert does 15 second 1/4

mile in stock form with me driving. 340 dart is going back together as we speak I've never raced it but the previous owner did . I may take it down test and tune but it is a resto and Id

possibly be running 14 inch ralleys or aluminum slots. tires are a big part of it and my small bolt Dart doesnt have much to choose from in the rubber dept. :)

Last edited:
hot rod garage episode of 85 5.0 5spd carb version build up
did a baseline of 15.4 ish 90 mph lmao super fast huh dan
thru a bunch of parts on it intake 750 dp (to big for a stock 5.0 lmfao ) cat back exhaust
3 runs later 15.10 with some type of drag radial lol the 340 is scared now
next up full ignition msd wires etc
3 more runs
1 20.49
2 16.49
3 15.73
comments i dont think we have the dizzy dialed in yet lmfaooooo
next up ford motor sport e303 or b303 the factory hp cams and trick flow alum heads
i cant find the video of those times
it mid to low 14s not as fast as my stock notch as i recall
maybe 14.2@99 lmfao
they were flamed on social media for building it wrong and going slower
3.73 gears should have been 1st
not a full bolt ons but leave the 2.73s
classic case add alot of parts look cool at the car show
but lose to my stock coupe by 14 cars 15.73 to 14.3
after the heads and cam would be a close race give me there slicks they lose

they were embarrassed and revisted the build in another episode
they put in a fully built brand new engine cant find the vid
14.1 101 2.73 slicks
13.9 102 2.73 slicks
13.5 105 3.73 slicks
eventually
mid 12s 108 a proper fox body with bolt on might have spray cant recall
So what V8 powered performance car was Chrysler making in 1985? That would be a better comparison than matching an 85 Mustang against an early 70's Mopar 340.

So what V8 powered performance car was Chrysler making in 1985? That would be a better comparison than matching an 85 Mustang against an early 70's Mopar 340.
who said they did
I owned the 5.0 coupe which was the quickest model
someone on here is making foolish statements about 5.0 mustangs vs 340 auto a bodys and still trying to argue/comment about it
i owned both and raced both stock to stock the 340 auto wins 8 of 10 races vs the fastest 5.0 5spd model
stock auto 5.0 vs 340 auto loses every race by at least 6 cars or 10 cars
why you quoting me?
this about silly comment from somebody who hasnt a clue about either cars clearly

I like the discussion I have an 86 Fox 5.0 and 340 Dart so it hits home. Both cars are fun but Ill admit the Mustang isnt "scary fast" oh yeah the wife will say "slow down" but its just a fun V 8 street car 200 HP LOL! I will admit the Dart is a much "Cooler car" LOL! Am I happy to own both? ys. both are alot of fun. Keep in mind I bought the Fox back when they were "cheap" LOL!

The guys I knew that ran Fox body seriously as in bracket racing ran stroker engines with either a supercharger or NOS. I worked as a line tech at a Ford dealer and a handful of the single guys built cars and raced them . This was 23 years ago around 2000, so I seen them up close, I watched them tear them down after breaking them over the weekend. I watched the one guy sell his car to get out of it only to buy another a year and a half later, its an addiction I suppose...

I personally cant comment as I never raced, had kids young never had 10 grand a year to blow on it. I do however have street versions of these cars my 86 Fox vert does 15 second 1/4

mile in stock form with me driving. 340 dart is going back together as we speak I've never raced it but the previous owner did . I may take it down test and tune but it is a resto and Id

possibly be running 14 inch ralleys or aluminum slots. tires are a big part of it and my small bolt Dart doesnt have much to choose from in the rubber dept. :)
you must be excited about your dart
get yourself and that dart to drag strip after its a great time
you will regret it if you dont

-
Back