318 power?

-
who said they did
I owned the 5.0 coupe which was the quickest model
someone on here is making foolish statements about 5.0 mustangs vs 340 auto a bodys and still trying to argue/comment about it
i owned both and raced both stock to stock the 340 auto wins 8 of 10 races vs the fastest 5.0 5spd model
stock auto 5.0 vs 340 auto loses every race by at least 6 cars or 10 cars
why you quoting me?
this about silly comment from somebody who hasnt a clue about either cars clearly
Not silly at all. You're using the performance of an early 70's 340 to put down the performance of a mid-80's Ford. Most cars in the mid 80's were underpowered pigs. A more valid "Mopar vs. Ford" comparison would be a 71-73 Boss 351 vs your 340 A body. As for "quoting you", I was just replying to your post and asking a simple question. Why ya so thin-skinned about it?

you must be excited about your dart
get yourself and that dart to drag strip after its a great time
you will regret it if you dont
LOL! yeah its really at a final block stage of body work then paint and reassemble. I have to get er done real soon.... I told the wife "I am going to be in the garage alot this year..."

Not silly at all. You're using the performance of an early 70's 340 to put down the performance of a mid-80's Ford. Most cars in the mid 80's were underpowered pigs. A more valid "Mopar vs. Ford" comparison would be a 71-73 Boss 351 vs your 340 A body. As for "quoting you", I was just replying to your post and asking a simple question. Why ya so thin-skinned about it?
Fox bodies by 87 were 225 horse in that small body alot of fun and squirrely. These cars were the return of "clean" emissions compliant fuel injected performance. Alot of what happened to horsepower in the 70s was purely emissions mandated. In the mid 70s, the best car was the Pontiac Trans am. 400 CI . 77 Bandit Trans Am- 185 Horse . 85 Mustang GT- 210 horse 86 -200 horse 87- 225 Horse. Those Fox bodies were a breath of fresh air compared to what was previously offered. IMO its not a comparison of Fox vs 340 A body its more a comparison of eras. Early 70s vs mid 80s. In each era, both cars held their own. I do believe the 340 A is faster in stock form simply because it has more Horsepower. The Mopar is more user friendly as far as day 2 mods.

pay attention
i used nothing it was brought up in this thread not by me
i simple stated the the proper relatioship between the 2 cars
quit while your behind you are 0-2 might as will try for a strike out
carry on

Don't forget the 78' - 79', "LITTLE RED EXPRESS", was the fastest US production auto those two years. 360 powered, but the "WARLOCK" had the 360 & 440.

pay attention
i used nothing it was brought up in this thread not by me
i simple stated the the proper relatioship between the 2 cars
quit while your behind you are 0-2 might as will try for a strike out
carry on
OK Boomer...

In Australia we had Valiant chargers with 340 autos in them and when imported they were going to be a race car but our gov came down on performance cars ( thought any pimply faced apprentice could buy a 150 mph supercar?) so the 340 chargers were only offered with auto, single exhaust and 2.92 diff. A mate had one and his only modification was twin 2 inch exhaust system and he used to take it to the local drag strip and just left it in drive and it ran 14.2 sec qtrs with the stock ER/70/14 tyres! With a lower diff ratio and better tyres it would of been in the mid thirteens pretty easy!
At the time our performance XY Falcon GTHO Phase three that won bathurst ran 14.8 sec qtr according to our motor testers but would pull 145 mph down bathursts conrod straight.

318 LA block
340 crank
KB pistons
zero decked
10.45:1 CR
Edelbrock 6077 heads, untouched
273 adjustable rockers
MP hyd 292/292 .508/.508 108 LS (I'm not quite sure about the cam but after some measuring and calculation it is my best guess)
Weiand Stealth intake w/ 1" spacer
Quick Fuel 750 dp (best I had)
MP elec dist - limited to 10 deg advance, lightest springs I could find
MSD 6AL
Put it together mostly from parts I already had. Hopefully start up today. Will go into my 71 Duster this weekend.
Car has fiberglass bumpers and hood, rest is original.
MT ET Street 295/55R15
Have a 10" (3.000 stall?) converter. Will look closer when I get there, might have some other I can use.
904 w/ reverse pattern. Not a clue of internals...
8 3/4" 4.10 SG

How much power do you gentlemen think it will make?
What do you think it can do on 1/8-mile?
My first 318 made 352hp with a similar combination.
I used 915 J heads with a good valve job and a clean-up in the bowl.
It used an edelbrock carb instead of a double pumper.
Yours might make 10-20hp more, at an estimate.

In Australia we had Valiant chargers with 340 autos in them and when imported they were going to be a race car but our gov came down on performance cars ( thought any pimply faced apprentice could buy a 150 mph supercar?) so the 340 chargers were only offered with auto, single exhaust and 2.92 diff. A mate had one and his only modification was twin 2 inch exhaust system and he used to take it to the local drag strip and just left it in drive and it ran 14.2 sec qtrs with the stock ER/70/14 tyres! With a lower diff ratio and better tyres it would of been in the mid thirteens pretty easy!
At the time our performance XY Falcon GTHO Phase three that won bathurst ran 14.8 sec qtr according to our motor testers but would pull 145 mph down bathursts conrod straight.
I don't think they were ever going to be used as a serious factory backed race car. They just wanted to fill a section of the market. Chrysler was more interested in Government fleet sales.

OK, time for an update:
I replaced the 318 with a 302 LS1 big block Poly engine and now I'm hauling Caterpillars through Ukraine.
No.
I was wrenching all that last night to have it running for that one day at the track. Weather was cold with showers. I made one pass on cold slippery asphalt and I went 8.2 with pretty much wheel spin. Then the crew stopped me on the return because I was leaking oil. It had a high volume pump in it and I noticed the gauge showed 110 psi at idle and hot. It went beyond the scale as soon as I hit the gas pedal. Oil was pouring out from the 90° adapter. Nothing I could fix at the race track so I went home. Later I found that the gauge showings must have been correct so I thought the relief valve in the (new) pump was stuck so I bought I new standard pump and dropped the pan and took the HV pump out. The plunger was free and moving. Anyway, I put the standard pump in and fired her up again. 10W40 Sunoco. Pressure still to high. 82 psi at idle but gets up over 100 cruising. Locked her in for the winter and haven't touched it since. What can cause the high pressure? I have checked the adapter and cut the filter apart but couldn't find anything.

OK, time for an update:
I replaced the 318 with a 302 LS1 big block Poly engine and now I'm hauling Caterpillars through Ukraine.
No.
I was wrenching all that last night to have it running for that one day at the track. Weather was cold with showers. I made one pass on cold slippery asphalt and I went 8.2 with pretty much wheel spin. Then the crew stopped me on the return because I was leaking oil. It had a high volume pump in it and I noticed the gauge showed 110 psi at idle and hot. It went beyond the scale as soon as I hit the gas pedal. Oil was pouring out from the 90° adapter. Nothing I could fix at the race track so I went home. Later I found that the gauge showings must have been correct so I thought the relief valve in the (new) pump was stuck so I bought I new standard pump and dropped the pan and took the HV pump out. The plunger was free and moving. Anyway, I put the standard pump in and fired her up again. 10W40 Sunoco. Pressure still to high. 82 psi at idle but gets up over 100 cruising. Locked her in for the winter and haven't touched it since. What can cause the high pressure? I have checked the adapter and cut the filter apart but couldn't find anything.
I'm no expert, but tight or misplaced bearings could be the issue, if it is a new rebuild, if not, look into what you changed in the motor.

I'm no expert, but tight or misplaced bearings could be the issue, if it is a new rebuild, if not, look into what you changed in the motor.
Yes, I've been thinking about that, but should the pressure really be so high at the filter then?
My friend who built the engine sadly passed away in November so I can't ask him. That's one of the reasons the project was put on hold.

Yes, I've been thinking about that, but should the pressure really be so high at the filter then?
My friend who built the engine sadly passed away in November so I can't ask him. That's one of the reasons the project was put on hold.
Oil is drawn from pan, through pickup, to pump, through filter and oil adapter. The pressure is at the other end of the journey through the motor. If you are getting a good draw from the pump and the pressure is high after the pump. you have a restriction some were in the motor. Plug up oil passage somewhere or as I first stated, check bearings.

OK, time for an update:
No.

You need a 5w30 or probably a 0W20. You don’t need a higher grade than that.

I haven’t looked into Sunoco oils but if it’s not 20 bucks a quart (or more) look for something better.

I'm just kidding anyway. SB Ford is a good engine. They make excellent boat anchors.

289 (stroked to 348) enters the chat.

20230313_220313.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

@ Mean 416. Those 289's were known for making decent power. 0.030 over 289 with a 8.62:1 cr, 268H cam, edelbrock e heads and a edelbrock performer 289 intake made 303 horsepower at 5900 rpm's. Not bad for a low compression and a small cam. Heads were ran out of the box.

@ Mean 416. Those 289's were known for making decent power. 0.030 over 289 with a 8.62:1 cr, 268H cam, edelbrock e heads and a edelbrock performer 289 intake made 303 horsepower at 5900 rpm's. Not bad for a low compression and a small cam. Heads were ran out of the box.
Yep. A well sorted V8 with decent cubes, heads, cam and exhaust will be fast.

-
Back