318 to 360 swap

-

itscompton

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 1968 Barracuda Notchback with a 318 and an automatic transmission in it. I'd like to swap in a 360, from what I've read so far it seems like the only thing that won't bolt right up is the drivers side motor mount. Am I right in assuming that if I change the motor mount over that I'll be able to just drop the 360 right into place and bolt on the accessories and be ready to go?

Make it easy, call up Schumacher and get the conversion mounts. Probably the last mounts you'll buy, powdercoated spool type with urethane inserts so they won't rot,come with grade 8 bolts.

Eric

itscompton;

You are correct. Whitey's idea is a good one. The mounts are really nice. They have interlocking mounts unlike the stock ones that can be ripped in half.
The only other thing is the tranny used. If you have a 904 with the 318 now and go to a 727, theres a drive shaft length change. The drive shaft will need to be shortened alittle bit.

Thats all that comes to mind. http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Hi, Not to go against rumble, but the 904 has a much nicer first gear if you build it for use with a 360. Since the 360 is externally balanced, you'll need a weight on the converter or the flex plate. I went with a B&M balanced flex plate, so I could get any mopar stall I wanted without having to worry about the weight.

My combo is:
360 with 340 grind cam, edelbrock intake/carb 600cfm
Mazzinoli built 904
Hughes 2500 stall
B&M flex plate

Ok, so I'll get the motor mounts you guys suggested. I'm not sure what transmission I have, was the 904 the only tranny that would have come stock with the 318 model for 68? and if so how much power could it handle before I've got to worry about beefing it up? I'm just thinking to have a mild 360, nothing much over the factory #'s if at all, would I be ok running this setup? I'll build it up in a few years after I'm done with grad school and can afford to get a new tranny/rearend combo too but for now I just want a fresh engine with a little more pep than the 318 gives me.

You can run it now on the 904. Just realize it's not a high rpm monster...lol. I'd just bolt it in. And truthfully, you can use some wahsers to make spacers and run the 318 steel bracket if budget says you had to. I did it for years on several cars... You will want the B&M flexplate for that 360 tho. Then it's a drop in swap. Also, if you use the 360 4bbl intake and carb, the kickdown may need some minor modification to get it properly setup. If you dont set it up right, the 904 wont last more than a few weeks tops. It's that important.

itscompton, a 904 tanny pan is a square with a triangle slice cut on a corner. The 727 has a side buldge and isn't exactly square, but close. The healthyness of the tranny is something of a unknown and is key on how much power it can handle. Pep up the engine? Fine. When time and money allows, you can do the whole thing.

stupidasso said:
Hi, Not to go against rumble,
I don't see how "Not to go against rumble, " works in there, but. I was not suggesting the use of a 727, but just said a driveshaft shorting would be needed if used.
The 904 has a lower gear set in newer years. To new and it'll be a lock up tranny. Different converter again.

Since the 360 is externally balanced, you'll need a weight on the converter or the flex plate. I went with a B&M balanced flex plate,
Excellent idea!

Thanks for posting this Moper. I did leave that out. (DUH!)
And truthfully, you can use some wahsers to make spacers and run the 318 steel bracket if budget says you had to. I did it for years on several cars...

-
Back