318 went off to the shop

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Hey guys, time has officially come that the 318 was sent off to the engine shop. I posted a Cam question last month and found that my engine has a stock 340 cam. Im running the stock heads, which have been ported. Im not sure what is all going to have to be done with the engine but Im sure a minor boring. Im wondering since I have yet to find a set of 302 heads and only running stock is it worth upgrading to a x262 cam/lifter option that I keep reading so much about on here?

Here is my info

318, 727, 8.75 with 3.73 gears, TTI headers, Edelbrock performer intake, Edelbrock 600cfm carb.

depends on how much bigger the cam is over stock. i have build 318's in my truck and my dart. my truck runs a purple shaft cam biggest over stock you can run with out modification, runs awesome, heads just need alil port work to move the air and there happy:blob:

It's not worth replacing teh heads you have now with 302s. IMO, the cam is worth replacing and the XE262 is a good mild step up from the 340 cam.

OK, what is the difference between the 262 and the 268 ( I believe that is the other recommended one)??? Also when I replace the cam do I have to replace the lifters also?

OK, what is the difference between the 262 and the 268 ( I believe that is the other recommended one)??? Also when I replace the cam do I have to replace the lifters also?

Difference between 262 and 268 = 6. :p

Yes, you MUST replace the lifters when you replace the cam.

I always vote xe268. I think I would have been sad with anything less! :p

I think with a 3.73 gear you'll be good. If you're boring might as well step up to the KB pistons, can't remember the part number but it'll give you a really good jump in compression and you won't need to swap the heads out.

Ok, stupid question! If my lifters are still good, why do I have to replace them? I've always heard that is the rule of thumb but never knew exactly why.

Because a brand new cam has to have brand new lifters so they wear in together.. Also - you should upgrade the valve spings for the XE268 to the Comp 901s. I run the 262 on the same 901-16 spring but I think the factory 340 springs would work.

The 340 cam isn't all that bad, if its in good shape--and you have the lifters mark, you could save some bucks just reusing it.

The higher compression pistons will help for sure, don't even think of using stock 8 to 1 pistons, IMO

The 340 cam isn't all that bad, if its in good shape--and you have the lifters mark, you could save some bucks just reusing it.

The higher compression pistons will help for sure, don't even think of using stock 8 to 1 pistons, IMO

Unfortunatly I think the 340 cam is shot. The cam bearings had some very uneven wear on them, so pretty sure the cam needs to be polished or replaced. So the lifters just got tossed into a box.

Are the KB pistons the only ones recommened? Im on a budget and spending $350 for a set of pistons is tuff, let alone spending the 250 on the cam, lifters and springs. $500 or so isnt bad, but it all depends on what the machine shop comes back with on what needs to be done with the engine.

This is why I love this site!! Look at that knowledge!!:prayer::prayer::prayer::blob::blob::blob:LOL

Sorry, my inner smart alec seems to get the best of me...well....pretty much everyday. :mrgreen:

I was thinking of using this cam in my D150 (tow vehicle) this year....might go a little smaller for the truck though.

When you install a new cam you should always use new lifters (like moper said) so they wear in together. Not sure about the locks and retainers, but if it were me, I would pull a valve cover to measure and see what you have.

Comp 901 springs for sure with a 268 (probably with 262 also I haven't looked). Factory retainers and locks are just fine, and that's also what I'm running.

Since my engine is low milage and already in the car, I didn't do pistons but I believe the KB are the only choice at all unless you want the low compression :/ look on ebay, you should be able to save $20-$30 on them there most of the time.

Awesome thanks for the help again guys! Im just waiting to hear back from the shop as to what all my engine needs to have done.

keep us posted on this build i'd like to know what is being done and how it turns out! good luck with the build!

Unfortunatly I think the 340 cam is shot. The cam bearings had some very uneven wear on them, so pretty sure the cam needs to be polished or replaced. So the lifters just got tossed into a box.

Are the KB pistons the only ones recommened? Im on a budget and spending $350 for a set of pistons is tuff, let alone spending the 250 on the cam, lifters and springs. $500 or so isnt bad, but it all depends on what the machine shop comes back with on what needs to be done with the engine.

Don't forget bearings, gaskets, rings..lets not touch the cylinder heads just yet...its not going to be cheap fair warning

Don't forget bearings, gaskets, rings..lets not touch the cylinder heads just yet...its not going to be cheap fair warning

Yes, it will be getting new bearings, and gaskets. Rings all depends on what I find out on the cylinders. If they are getting bored out, then Im sure I will be buying new pistons and rings. Yes I know this is not going to be cheap I just want it to be done right. Unlike the last person that supposedly rebuilt this engine

-
Back