340 build No POWER need help w tune

-
Weird. Holley tech info about that pump " requires no regulator".
It runs between 6-7. But sometimes I've seen it close to 9.
This makes me wonder now.

This strait from holley

"Flows 110 GPH Free Flow
Shutoff Pressure Pre-set from 6.5 to 8 PSI
Fuel Pressure Regulator is Not Required

The mechanical carder on my 360 would creep up to 11 lbs.
Drove me nuts running rich until I put a regulator on it.

do one thing at a time... its not idling right, work on that.

you said blades are not in the transfer slots
so next is the idle bleeds, check them i bet they are plugged...

if your fuel pressure is below 7 at idle dont worry about it for now, get it to idle

When someone puts in a radical cam how are they to know what there new timing is. Everyone one says that this cam loves a lot of initial timing. But how much is too much.

Thanks mopar kid. Ill check them now. Whats the best way to check them. Have always been told not to touch thoes guys.

Fuel pressure seems great to me.

When someone puts in a radical cam how are they to know what there new timing is. Everyone one says that this cam loves a lot of initial timing. But how much is too much.
If it won't crank because of timing, that's too much. LOL!

Give it what the motor wants, then set your mechanical advance after that.

I typically start mine at 10* BTDC, and it will fire up immediately every time. Right now, my 390 with a pretty big cam is at 14* initial, and 34 total.

The Comp XR280HR-10 in my 360 likes 19 deg initial.

Keep dialing yours up until it kicks back when it starts hot, back it off 2 deg.
This is what your engine likes.

I disagree with the kid, get your fuel pressure under 6 psi.

If it won't crank because of timing, that's too much. LOL!

Give it what the motor wants, then set your mechanical advance after that.

only thing i would add to that is DONT rev it after setting initial! if you havn't set total and it will really get up there!

probably a good start would be 18 initial and 34 total by 2500.

for the bleeds just pull the metering blocks off and take a flashlight and look down all the bleeds. also shine the light thru the block side and see if you see the light. rubber tipped air nozzle or brake clean will usually clean them. if you can see thru them its blocked

The Comp XR280HR-10 in my 360 likes 19 deg initial.

Keep dialing yours up until it kicks back when it starts hot, back it off 2 deg.
This is what your engine likes.

I disagree with the kid, get your fuel pressure under 6 psi.

he said it was 6-7 idle, it shouldn't blow past the needle and seat under 7.

he said it was 6-7 idle, it shouldn't blow past the needle and seat under 7.

It should not, but that is pushing it.
Set it below 6 to be safe.
For some reason it sounds like it is flooding.

only thing i would add to that is DONT rev it after setting initial! if you havn't set total and it will really get up there!

probably a good start would be 18 initial and 34 total by 2500.

for the bleeds just pull the metering blocks off and take a flashlight and look down all the bleeds. also shine the light thru the block side and see if you see the light. rubber tipped air nozzle or brake clean will usually clean them. if you can see thru them its blocked

Agreed.

Too much is when it yaks against the starter trying to crank. I agree with Ed. Fix one thing at the time. Then move on to the next. Easy to get overwhelmed.

This thing sould move what's total timeing? Is the trans kickdown working? My GTX was a dog until I fixed the timing and got the kickdown adjusted properly. Good luck man!

You said it doesnt spin the tires which isnt a surprise seeing your running 315-60-15 M/T drag radials. Isnt that they idea behind them ? Throw some 215-70-14s street tires on it and see how it spins them.

How does it pull once you get moving ?

Also, Send the TCI converter back and save for a good one. Dynamic, Turbo Action, Ultimate etc.

Well I'm outside and me and my old man are just stunned. Either my timing gun is messed or the engine is out of this world.

Yesterday I was at 25 degrees ad. At idle. My dad said lets advance it more. Well the more we advanced the heathier she sounded and ran. Less rich smell.
Put the gun on it and the timing is reading 55 degrees!!!
Turned off. Started again with no kick/fight.

I have no idea what's going on

Another note At any timing when in park and revved to 3300 rpm now. She pops and stutters out the exhaust.

55 total....or 55 with vacuum advance hooked up......???

You said it doesnt spin the tires which isnt a surprise seeing your running 315-60-15 M/T drag radials. Isnt that they idea behind them ? Throw some 215-70-14s street tires on it and see how it spins them.

How does it pull once you get moving ?

Also, Send the TCI converter back and save for a good one. Dynamic, Turbo Action, Ultimate etc.

Not when the tires are wet and I'm loading up on the converter

Haven't had it moving. Like I said I'm in a driveway

Are you an old ford guy?

Is the timing light attached to the most forward plug on drivers side?

-
Back