340 build No POWER need help w tune

-
I'm going to need to??? Get a regulator??
Damn I didn't think I needed one.

When I last checked sight plugs no gas spilled out. Just where is suppose to be.

ok good, we said you would but not right now. if its not pushing fuel out the boosters your alright for now.

check the bleeds

your going to need to anyways but check those bleeds! then reset float to just a little dribble coming out of the sight plugs

Reason #8007 why I like Quick Fuel carbs. Sight glass on the bowls, and adjustable air bleed sizes on all 4 barrels. They screw in like the fuel jets do.

No more drilling or spilling fuel to set float bowl levels.

just pull the valve covers and check the valve adjustment...then go back to the other problems....sure sounds like one or two of them is too tight...make sure you have an msd compatible coil, good grounds for the box and proper airgap in the dizzy, you need plug wires compatible with msd box also. the cam is part number 20-601-4 hydraulic. find zero lash then add 1/2 turn while the valve covers are off spin the engine and make sure all rockers move, being a new engine/cam wiping a lobe off in a short period of time could happen...good luck let us know what ya find

Thanks guys ill do some checks tonight. Ill check the sights once more ( running).

Has MSD coil. Taylor wires.

Proper airgap in dizzy??

Use brass feeler gauge. Only brass or a non magnetic material.

well they are idiots... we use stock dizzy's in 9 second/775hp race hemi's...

also notice how the stock dizzy lines up? so who's the idiot? you can have a stock one recurved very easy...
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!Im so glad that there is sumone els that beleves in tha factory ign.my hat is off to you..........:prayer::prayer::cheers::cheers:I have been saying that for years :finga:a MSD!!!!!!!!!!!there junk,,,Artie

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!Im so glad that there is sumone els that beleves in tha factory ign.my hat is off to you..........:prayer::prayer::cheers::cheers:I have been saying that for years :finga:a MSD!!!!!!!!!!!there junk,,,Artie

lol your funny. its just a pickup... as long as the bearings are good in the dizzy and its not loose it will work!

you check the preload on the lifters yet????? you mentioned it backfired thru the exhaust I think? just check them it wil make the carb act like a bananna

you said the carb was a year old did it sit for a while I just went thru this with my 440 fired it up after sitting went to drive it no power and backfired when you punched it, went crazy tuning things up finally decided the carb was all that was left borrowed a 750 problem solved carb was gummed up

You checked vacuum with gauge is it still handy?
If so have it connected always if possible as it will help tune,
actually see improvements or negatives.
At idle, any increase in vacuum is a good thing provided timing
limits are not exceeded.
Is the needle waving at you at idle this COULD be too tight
a valve or an issue with valve train flat cam etc.
I would be looking for a vacuum leak, booster drip, plugged
idle air ports.
My 340 with less cam duration 232* needed 18* degrees initial
timing. The idle air bleeds in my BG Speed Demon needed to be
decreased in size. The first call to BG netted me an initial timing
suggestion, I was there already. The next day an envelope
showed at the mail box four very small idle air restrictors for taps
later and I had an engine that idled like it should.
1.5 to 2 turns out on the idle screws.
The fact you are idling with
near 0 turns out suggests, idle air bleeds are restricted, fuel level
too high while running causing booster nozzle drip. Or the
HP Holley is designed with a very sensitive idle circuit designed to
flow fuel with radical cams at idle I don't think this is the case.
If that is the case you will need to modify the idle air bleed holes.
I would contact Holley if that is necessary.

I'm also on board with the air bleeds or bowl level being too high. I had to set the level quite a bit lower than expected on my Quick Fuel.

Just an update
I still have to play around with the timing some more after talking to my engine builder but have yet to.
Anyways I thought I had the running rich problem figured out but today I flashed her up and the car was sooooo rich my eyes were burning.

I have a 110 holley mechanical fuel pump that suposibly does not require a regulator ( this is what holley states). And has a automatic shut off at 8 psi.
But my fuel pressure gauge was reading 9.5 - 10psi! The weird thing is that some times the pressure is perfect at 6.

While the car was running I pulled the site plug and gas was of course spilling out.

Has anyone else had this problem with these pumps.

Just an update
I still have to play around with the timing some more after talking to my engine builder but have yet to.
Anyways I thought I had the running rich problem figured out but today I flashed her up and the car was sooooo rich my eyes were burning.

I have a 110 holley mechanical fuel pump that suposibly does not require a regulator ( this is what holley states). And has a automatic shut off at 8 psi.
But my fuel pressure gauge was reading 9.5 - 10psi! The weird thing is that some times the pressure is perfect at 6.

While the car was running I pulled the site plug and gas was of course spilling out.

yep they are crappy pumps, as far as regulating... get a reg on it

Just an update

Post #96 it needs a regulator.

Part of the problem is not the pump, but crappy modern day needles and seats. "They" just don't seem to tolerate much fuel pressure nowadays

-
Back