340 Vs 360

-
No, you give me one "would've" and an 8hr youtube video.

With to so far.

Yes, 25% more power atrokes, with 25% less torque created from each one.
So same horsepower. Got it

Yes, but again, it's making less torque with each of those power strokes.
Which is why it needs more of them to make the same horsepower.

If you have two engines with equal horsepower, but different operating RPM, if you optimize the convertor, gear and chassis etc to use the horsepower where it's available in both.
They will both provide the same level of performance, or at least extremely similar.

That's entirely my point.

Not unless it made more horsepower.

Absolutely, this is a given.

Not if you're reducing the torque in equal proportion to the increase in RPM to arrive at the same horsepower.

Hmm, You do understand that optimising gear ratios can be done for lower RPM engines as well, right?

It's not a thing that only exists for high rpm engines, gear reduction is a scientific principle that can be applied wherever it's needed.

Like, there are 8sec diesel pickup trucks running on the street. And they do it with ungodly amounts of torque.
Try telling them "RPM is king"
They''ll laugh in your face.

Damn dude. Go look at what they make for torque and what they make for horsepower and see which number adds up.

Nothing worse than a fool who can’t figure it out.

Ahhhh, the thread has made sooooo many posts so quickly in a few hours I actually skipped two pages.

I’m kind of toast on the thread.
I’ll go read a math book another time. I have a lot of other reading to catch up on.

high rpm engines make great hp but alot harder on engine parts, and drive live parts and it cost more to run! torque builds are easier on parts, easier on the streets, cost lil more up front but are cheaper over all!! 8500 rpms ant high rpms,..middle the road! lotta race engines turning 10,000 rpms and living!! use turn a cast chevy crank 8 grand on dirt track forged cranks didnt flex enuff and would brake! in todays world you can build a 8500 rpm screamer and run 10s or build a stroker and turn 6 grand and run tens,... i dont see where youd need a aftermarket block to build ether....DWB

8000 rpm is nothing to the small block Chevy guy's, kinda a normal thing for years.
Most of them ran a minimum 4.11 gear on the street, mostly 4.56 with a power glide.
There was a tunnel rammed 4sp Nova that spun 8500 during street duty. lol

When saying a 340 needs rpm doesn’t have to be 8000 + rpm’s.

What are most people building 340/360 to 300-450 hp that’s like 4500-6000 rpm for a 360 and 4800-6400 for a 340 and even a 318 would be 5100-6800 rpm obviously those are generalized numbers.

When saying a 340 needs rpm doesn’t have to be 8000 + rpm’s.

What are most people building 340/360 to 300-450 hp that’s like 4500-6000 rpm for a 360 and 4800-6400 for a 340 and even a 318 would be 5100-6800 rpm obviously those are generalized numbers.
I depends on how much power you want to make.
There's a reason W9 engines are spinning 8500+ and INDY headed big blocks 7500

LOL, decided to check in for a laugh.

You can’t imagine what I’ve done and what I’ve worked with.

Stop being a jealous baby.
LOL.
The Trans and converter I have sitting in front of me is probably worth more than you've ever spent on an engine..

8000 rpm is nothing to the small block Chevy guy's, kinda a normal thing for years.
Most of them ran a minimum 4.11 gear on the street, mostly 4.56 with a power glide.
There was a tunnel rammed 4sp Nova that spun 8500 during street duty. lol
yes the cocky guy in his 1957 chevy 327 m22 456s 175 shot of spray my buddy was in his car he was shifting@8000 he was trapping 112@ the track
laughed at my 340 duster 243@50 507 108lsa 727 stock stall 3.23s 26.99 L-60-14 125 shot of spray my best trap was 108 mph
race 1 sucked him 4 cars outta the hole sprayed right off the hit never saw him but heard him he was at my back bumper he lost 1 car
pulled over talked he was humbled didnt think you car was that quick he said can we race again sureeeee
he went home advanced his timing ice in the cool can some race gas
race 2
i decide not to spray the hit wait till 3k in 1st broke loose when they spray hit he was at my back bumper he banged 2nd and jumped to just before my door banged 3rd jumped up to my side mirror missed 4th and he was gone he did not ask for a another race he coudnt get over that my car trapped in 2nd gear and he lost
8000 rpm bfd
He built engines in a race/marine shop had everything available to him
my whole car cost 800 he prolly had 3k in his engine alone it was a beautifull bronze color and it sounded sick i was supposed to lose
lol

yes the cocky guy in his 1957 chevy 327 m22 456s 175 shot of spray my buddy was in his car he was shifting@8000 he was trapping 112@ the track
laughed at my 340 duster 243@50 507 108lsa 727 stock stall 3.23s 26.99 L-60-14 125 shot of spray my best trap was 108 mph
race 1 sucked him 4 cars outta the hole sprayed right off the hit never saw him but heard him he was at my back bumper he lost 1 car
pulled over talked he was humbled didnt think you car was that quick he said can we race again sureeeee
he went home advanced his timing ice in the cool can some race gas
race 2
i decide not to spray the hit wait till 3k in 1st broke loose when they spray hit he was at my back bumper he banged 2nd and jumped to just before my door banged 3rd jumped up to my side mirror missed 4th and he was gone he did not ask for a another race he coudnt get over that my car trapped in 2nd gear and he lost
8000 rpm bfd
He built engines in a race/marine shop had everything available to him
my whole car cost 800 he prolly had 3k in his engine alone it was a beautifull bronze color and it sounded sick i was supposed to lose
lol
Wow, that's quite a story!

LOL.
The Trans and converter I have sitting in front of me is probably worth more than you've ever spent on an engine..
At the end of the day we are all playing with the cheap 50 year old junk. Everyone on here crying that’s it’s 4 or 5 grand for a rebuild and a few parts. You start playing in the big boy sand box when a single head costs more than 10 grand before any finish machining…

Last edited:
LOL.

Oh I’m sure it is. Assumption and arrogance is your forte.

Back on ignore you go. I have a new rule. Every wanker from down under goes on ignore from the jump.

Of course, if I trolled you like you troll me I’d be gone. It’s special there are different rules for the favored kiddies.

Buh-bye wanker.

Come on dude. Now you just want to argue.

To compare that lift plate to eight rocker arms working on eight valve springs at 50 or 60 times a second is just stupid.
You're going out of your way to ignore the fact that when it comes to fasteners, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Look at a 5 stud wheel vs a centrelock wheel.

When there's 5 fasteners, look how small they each can be.

When there's just 1 fastener look how large it's required to be.

The strength of the shaft rocker system isn't the size of the fasteners, or even specifically the quantity.
It's the fact that they're all fastening the same shaft together in unison and working together, rather than working individually.
Set the engine on the ground and then jerk it straight up two feet and then stop it. Then slam it down as fast as you can until it barely touches the floor and see how long those little bolts hold up. It won’t be long.

Is this actually how you think valve springs work?

Do you think applying this kinda force would pull a 7/16 chevy rocker stud out first? Or a chrysler rocker shaft held in by five 3/8 bolts?

Something tells me I'm not going to get an answer to this obvious question. :lol:

You're going out of your way to ignore the fact that when it comes to fasteners, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Look at a 5 stud wheel vs a centrelock wheel.

When there's 5 fasteners, look how small they each can be.

When there's just 1 fastener look how large it's required to be.

The strength of the shaft rocker system isn't the size of the fasteners, or even specifically the quantity.
It's the fact that they're all fastening the same shaft together in unison and working together, rather than working individually.

Is this actually how you think valve springs work?

Do you think applying this kinda force would pull a 7/16 chevy rocker stud out first? Or a chrysler rocker shaft held in by five 3/8 bolts?

Something tells me I'm not going to get an answer to this obvious question. :lol:

Ill give you the answer. You’d know this if you had any experience in anything other than arguing.

Five 3/8 bolts will NOT hold the shafts down under load unless you run hydraulic cams or really small SFT stuff.

The five 5/16 bolts on passenger car heads will barely take a .600 net lift SFT. You can see the witness marks saddles.

I‘d post a video of what happens on a BBC chevy when the bolts can’t hold the rockers but it won’t help you understand ****.

I know exactly how a valve spring works and you inferring that picking up an engine with four 5/16 bolts is as much stress and strain on the fasteners a rocker shaft bolts shows your limited experience and foolish ignorance.

Back on ignore.

Back on ignore.
Monkeyrat.jpg

Oh I’m sure it is. Assumption and arrogance is your forte.

Back on ignore you go. I have a new rule. Every wanker from down under goes on ignore from the jump.

Of course, if I trolled you like you troll me I’d be gone. It’s special there are different rules for the favored kiddies.

Buh-bye wanker.
LOL..
I don't have to assume anything.
Characters like you are not uncommon in the auto world. You're a bit like good old Uncle Tony.. But without any panache..
First of all, I just spent a week on the bench, so I'm no favored kid.
Secondly, you offend people, constantly, and that requires a response.

Last edited:
Ill give you the answer. You’d know this if you had any experience in anything other than arguing.

Five 3/8 bolts will NOT hold the shafts down under load unless you run hydraulic cams or really small SFT stuff.

The five 5/16 bolts on passenger car heads will barely take a .600 net lift SFT. You can see the witness marks saddles.

I‘d post a video of what happens on a BBC chevy when the bolts can’t hold the rockers but it won’t help you understand ****.

I know exactly how a valve spring works and you inferring that picking up an engine with four 5/16 bolts is as much stress and strain on the fasteners a rocker shaft bolts shows your limited experience and foolish ignorance.

Back on ignore.
Why put him on ignore at all? Looking at his response, replying and putting him back on ignore. Ya wanker. lol

If he's not being obtuse to me, then he's just being obtuse to someone else.
If I posted a few pics of some of the stuff I'm working on at the moment, he'd have to pack up his little sideshow and move on.

-
Back