360 block limits

-
I don't disagree with that, however, people with carburetors certainly have more than just a "base tune". I've seen a lot and I mean a LOT of high end builds leave with nothing more than what the car cranked up with. All because they would not pay extra for a tune....and that's just stupid.
Yep, and plenty of cars leave shops with the carb bolted on straight out of the box from Summit, with it's basic tune in it and so-so gas mileage.
No one should be sending an EFI car out of a shop without a good usable tune in it. If they are not doing that, then they have no business fitting the stuff.

Last edited:
No one should be sending a car out of a shop without a basic usable tune in it. If they are doing that, then they have no business fitting the stuff.
It's not his decision. The customers refure the tune almost every time.....but I'll say this. He's in way over his head and won't admit it. He know less about EFI than I do. I've ridden over and gotten him out of more than one jam.

People rarely have their carbs in perfect tune either.
You don't need a dyno to dial in EFI, the same way you don't need a dyno to dial in a carb.
Which do you think is quicker to dial in?
A carb, with all it's associated parts, that you have to shut the engine down to change, or EFI, that can be altered in real time, as well as the timing curve.
Most people who carry on about carbs being easier to tune than EFI have never changed a power valve restriction or an air bleed in their lifetime.
People who get EFI and then are are not interested in understanding and tune it should just stick to a 600 vac sec Holley.
Don't care, what's cheaper.

Last edited:
This is great. I'm running out of popcorn at the 4th page of the sh*tshow! :popcorn:

OP, I would recommend buying the best fuel you can afford. With that, I'd be comfortable with 100-200 shot on that build :thumbsup:

Don't you have a 360 in the black duster? You are making good power with that.

Ya I just had to kick up some dust before the 360 engines are jump posters stepped in. I would say if you can take a production block and spend less than 1000.00 in machine work and it can run high 9.20’s low 9.30’s they aren’t to bad.

Current motor is a 1978 360 bored .030 over, eq magnum heads slightly ported, edelbrock rpm airgap slightly ported, 10.7:1 compression .
Scat cast crank and rods and srp forged pistons. Arp rod and head bolts, possibly main cap bolts too. Internally balanced.
Cam: 109 lsa
Duration @.050 239 242
Lift .562 .559
Currently makes 440 hp 490ftlbs

With proper ring gap, fuel and ignition how big of a shot would a motor like this handle? Thinking of a 100 shot. Would something like this require the water jackets to be half filled?

Also thinking of getting a 90s magnum 318 engine and putting a cam in and slight head work and hope for 375-400hp. Then mess with nitrous on that motor. Just so I don't scatter my expensive motor. Would the cast pistons in those handle significantly less?
If you are bored .60 over, you would be ok.

I’ll just post this here and let Steve Morris explain exactly what I said.

You have to watch the whole thing and it’s all interesting.

Wonderful subject on spraying etc.

How much can any factory truck or pass. car block can take?
I have raced like many others with street cars with stock blocks made by Mother Mopar.
The best block we ever used was a 1971 400 block that took a whopping 1100hp, (avatar car 8.20@178mph).

I was 'not' returning to racing after a 20 year break but feel its now or never?
So I'm building a street strip Duster with a 360 engine.
Or should I go back to the trusted 400 block as all 360 blocks are for truckers only lol...

Lil Red.jpg

Last edited:
So all 'original' 340 Mopar intake valves were flat heads, but over 50 years of hard abuse they all went Tulip?

360 tulip.jpg

I’ll just post this here and let Steve Morris explain exactly what I said.

You have to watch the whole thing and it’s all interesting.

Ok but nowhere in that video did Steve talk about how EFI compares to carbs when there's fuel distribution issues at all, which was what @Just Send It was talking about before you started grating on him, like you do with at least one person in every single thread.

He was very clearly never saying that carbs are the cause of fuel distribution issues, he was saying that carbs can't prevent them the way EFI can.. Because they can't.

But sure, go ahead and retroactively frame your obnoxiousness as if you were really just trying to say "well carbs are really good at self-tuning, yay carbs!", and totally not just picking yet another argument for no reason when they were giving relevant, factual and helpful information.

Last edited:
Yes, truck motors from the start. That is where I got all my "J" heads from years ago. The best part is, being from a truck, they were not beat up and worked great with the added 2.02 intake valves. They are now getting hard to come buy.

I see them almost daily and from some of the prices I see guys think they are 360-1 Indy heads. I get a good chuckle and move on.

Ok but nowhere in that video did Steve talk about how EFI compares to carbs when there's fuel distribution issues at all, which was what @Just Send It was talking about before you started grating on him, like you do with at least one person in every single thread.

He was very clearly never saying that carbs are the cause of fuel distribution issues, he was saying that carbs can't prevent them the way EFI can.. Because they can't.

But sure, go ahead and retroactively frame your obnoxiousness as if you were really just trying to say "well carbs are really good at self-tuning, yay carbs!", and totally not just picking yet another argument for no reason when they were giving relevant, factual and helpful information.

Go back and watch it again. This time pay attention. What he says about carbs is exactly what I said.

The carb is far more adjustable and self adjusting that your 36 year old brain can grasp

Just because YOU cant do it doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

That was 1400 easy HP and he put it in pump gas tune and DID NOT CHANGE A JET.

Get over yourself. I get obnoxious when I have to deal with wanker punks like you.

Back on ignore.

Go back and watch it again. This time pay attention. What he says about carbs is exactly what I said.

The carb is far more adjustable and self adjusting that your 36 year old brain can grasp

Just because YOU cant do it doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

That was 1400 easy HP and he put it in pump gas tune and DID NOT CHANGE A JET.

Get over yourself. I get obnoxious when I have to deal with wanker punks like you.

Back on ignore.

I already watched it, and he made no mention of carbs vs efi in regard to fuel distribution, which was the subject of the post you took issue with and then started furiously swinging your peen at everyone who disagrees with or even questions you.

Last edited:
Back in about 2006 I built a Megasquirt kit, soldered all the components onto the PCB, programed the ECU, converted my Katana over to EFI and tuned it. 9500 Rpm.
Just requires some time and a brain.
Sickly Brutal Dude! Hell Yeah! The guy that ported the heads on my Ironhead drag bike (it's actually a cage racer, capable of Daily Riding) has a 102" mill witha Supercharger for a daily..

I already watched it, and he made no mention of carbs vs efi in regard to fuel distribution, which was the subject of the post you took issue with and then started furiously swinging your peen at everyone who disagrees with or even questions you.

LOL you wanker. I never said **** about EFI verse a carb. That’s what YOU and some other 30 something made it out to be.

I’ll say it again. Try and read it correctly and then piss off.

A carb gives the engine what IT wants. With EFI you tell the engine what it GETS.

Makes sense now that you read it correctly. And that’s what Steve Morris said. Carbs are self adjusting. You can’t tune one so you can’t deal with the FACT.

And since you can’t tune a carb, how can I be sure you know what to tell the EFI? I see more slow EFI junk out there than I care to, but you 30 somethings are tuning gods.

You stuck your pointy nose in where it didn’t belong. So stay out of threads you aren’t competent to add to.

Later wanker. And you should lose your internet mouth. It’s easy to be mouthy here when you are the mods pet. In the real world you’d be more polite.

-
Back