360 block to start with?????

-

Sharko

Sharko
Reaction score
I was wanting to build a 408 stroker and was wondering if anyone can tell me the best 360 block to start with?????? This is my first engine build so I'm definately gonna need your guys help.
Thanks,
Sharko

Except for the 71-73 they are all the same. Those early ones were cast off the same molds as the 340 and can be bored much farther over. they are all good choices, though. I guess you are speaking of the LA and not the Magnum engines? I got a real good complete 77 model with 55000 miles on it if you want an excellent core. I'm in Georgia, though.

The old ones were somewhat thicker but the late 80's and up were roller cam engines so you can run a roller cam much cheaper than on an old style LA.

Consider a brand new long or short block from World or Mopar. What you save in machine work and don't have to worry about an old engines history of abuse will balance out. Plus the new castings are improved and the metallurgy is superior. New is cheap insurance. I think a Mopart Magnum stroker crate engine might even be better still, although not as fun as building your own.

Consider a brand new long or short block from World or Mopar. What you save in machine work and don't have to worry about an old engines history of abuse will balance out. Plus the new castings are improved and the metallurgy is superior. New is cheap insurance. I think a Mopart Magnum stroker crate engine might even be better still, although not as fun as building your own.

The magnum crate shortblock is a pretty good shortblock to start with.
The 406 is a good one to work with. There's a dealer local to me who always keeps them in stock among many other mopar performance parts.

Is the bore different between 318and 360 or just the stroke? If you're having it honed anyway maybe it doesn't matter. Have a 318 block I'll sell you cheap...

Is the bore different between 318and 360 or just the stroke? If you're having it honed anyway maybe it doesn't matter. Have a 318 block I'll sell you cheap...

318 bore is 3.91" and a 360 is 4.0" so there's .090" difference. Some say an early 318 is capable of being bored out to 4" but I'd never try it unless I had it sonic checked.

-
Back