360 build up

-

musclermndart

Reaction score
hey muscleheads i am currently building up a small block 360 to go into my 71 dodge dart. i am looking to get around 500hp and 525 ft pds of torque . Do you think that i can get to this number with my set up ? i figure with this amount of horse power it would get me into the 11's in the quarter mile
So far i have a 360 block bored over .0030 , eagle forged crankshaft stock stroke. eagle h-beam connecting rods or eagle i-beam connecting rods but im not sure which one to use i've heard some bad things about eagles i-beam rods about scattering . forged pistons 10.1 compression ratio flat tops either keith black or wiseco. edelbrock performer rpm alum heads that will be ported and polished for better flow, proform alum roller rockers 1.5 , edelbrock performer rpm air-gap intake , and an edelbrock cam add. duration 308/318 lift .448/.510
thats all i have currently what numbers do you think i can get out of something with this set-up? i'm not sure if i am going to run nitrous or not but if i do only a 100 shot if thats what it takes to get me to the numbers i want. any information would def. be very helpful. i don't want to stroke the motor ...

i like more cam but i am young and stupd so i am not the guy to trust on that but i have also heard some bad stuff about the i beam rods, so i bought the H beams and they look like a quality piece!

thats basicly the whole edelbrock performer rpm package, and i can say from experience form a friend of mine who has that whole package of parts on a 383chevy smallblock stroker in a 65mallibu that its a nice package, it runs real strong and will smoke the MT dragradials anytime he whants to... his biggest problem is finding traction for those ~400horses

Your about a good 60 HP shy of your goal.

Like was said.. Not nearly enough cam. Those Edelbrock cams should be kind of...well...avoided IMo. You can do much better. I would be looking into a dish design that incorporates a large qunech pad. I know Diamond has a couple, I'm not sure about Wiseco. I'm sure KB doesnt. With the Edelbrock heads, and a 9 or 10cc quench dish, you can get the static ratio up to 10.5:1 or slightly higher and be very safe on pump fuel. With a static up there, a cam in the realm of the XS282S solid. I dont think I'd spec a hydraulic. The XE294H might get close to 500. But it's not my first choice. I wouldnt cam for NOS if you're only looking at like a 100hp plate kit anyway.

I have to agree with Moper on this. For a mopar engine, I wouldnt buy an Edlebrock cam. Small and big block mopars can be a bit picky in what they like when you build them. I trust and will always trust Comp Cams.

I have seen Wiseco used on I believe a 440 big block and they werent a bad piston. But if you are only going to put a 100shot on it someday, save some money and go for the Keith Black Hypers. They can take a 150 shot no problem.

If you dont use the nitrous a set of stock 360 rods that have been cleaned up and all the stress points removed should be just fine. If you do go with the SIR rods from Eagle, have your machine shop take a look at them. They could be off and really mess up the engine if you bolt it together with out checking.

Cant give you an opinion on the rockers, but I have seen testing done on a 400hp motor in which the stock valvetrain worked better then the aftermarket set up, another one of Mopars oddities.

Why not stroke it. There's no substitute for C.I. I punched mine out to a 410 with chevy rods.

Isky is the best cam... they have a new CNC cam grinder. the will take your specs and grind that day.

Don't think you'll make it with that stock stroke crank,and that cam is a little small..stroke it and with a bigger cam you'll get there,the sirs are just fine,theres a set spinning in my 416 to 11.0's for 2 seasons now ZERO problems...

The resto 340 cam is even milder. You spent the bucks for those nice flowing heads, why not get a decent cam to take advantage of them. CALL Comp or Hughes and see what they recommend. They are in the cam business, support many professional racers, and WILL NOT sell you Chevy lobes. Mopar engines have a larger lifter diameter, and can accommodate a far faster rate of lift.

Buy the lightest FORGED pistons you can afford. Even at 500 hp you are getting to the top of the hypereutectic range. Add a 100 shot and your are risking a meltdown.

Rockers are NO PLACE to cheap out on. Spend the bucks on some made in USA stuff here. Saving a couple hundred bucks on rockers sounds great until one fails and turns your $5000 engine into a pile of smoking scrap.

Why not stroke it. There's no substitute for C.I. I punched mine out to a 410 with chevy rods.

Isky is the best cam... they have a new CNC cam grinder. the will take your specs and grind that day.

Not a abd idea to stroke. Thats a torque maker though. It will make the car go easier.

Isky has been making steep ramped cams for a long long time. The best?
No matter who grinds what, if you take it to there rival, they'll make a better one. Take it back to the first grinder, he'll make a better one, etc....

Have a cam with as much lift as you can get.

-
Back