360 crank in a 318 block

-

WestRidge

Dart -64
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 360 crank from a -89 and I planning to use it in a 318 block from 1970. Does it fit "bolt-on"? The plan is to use KB167 +0.060, 596 heads w 2.02, 1.60 and milled to 60cc valves. Do you see any drawbacks? Then I should have approx 10.0:1 so I can use regular gas (98oct pumpgas available here in Sweden).

I found info about a 360 crank in a 318 block. (Yes I will search better next time :) ) Well I see that I will go for my original plan... But anyway, what do you say about such combo as I said in the opening question? w 318 crank 3.31 stroke

i think the machine work to accomplish it would be prohibitively expensive.

you would likely be better off buying an aftermarket stroker crank for the 318 if that is the route you wanted to go.

All you need to do to make the crank physically fit is turn the main journals down. Bam, it's in. The difference between a 318 and 360 stroke is .270". Without custom pistons, the 318 piston will come out of the top of the block. You could have the block sonic tested and if it is thick enough, bore it to 4" and simply build a 360.

The 360 crank is not a "bolt in" as the main journals are larger; you need to have the journals machined down to the 318 size to drop it in the block. Also, the 360 crank is a 3.58 stroke and the 318 is a 3.31; therefore fs youre going to use a 360 crank you don't want pistons with a high compression distance like the kb167s. You want some low compression pistons. If youre going to use the 318 crank then you want to use the high compression 318 pistons.

360 crank/318 block = low compression pistons
318 crank/318 block = high compression pistons

Also remember there will be some balancing costs involved in putting the 360 crank in the 318 block. But in the end it makes a decent, "cheap" little 349 stroker

IDK about cheap. Cheap for a stroker maybe. All the machine work involved adds up quickly. The problem with pistons out there is the do not have the valve reliefs needed for even a moderate cam lift. Custom slugs are about $800-$1000.
This is not a direction I would go in.

I myself would rather have it sonic check for max potential boring and off set the stroke of the crank and use low compression 318 replacement slugs. Often such replacement slugs have 4 valve reliefs in them. *I think* those are the Sealed Power slugs.

Once you figure out the correct piston, between the off set stroke and a good overbore, you could get a nice up surge in displacement.

Destroke thats a new expression for me. What does that mean? Less crankstroke?

Yes..........unless you are trying to meet some class competition rules (like the old original T/A race rules) I don't see why anyone would want to do so.

Any reason why you don't want to build up the 318?

Don't get me wrong, I love these tangents into custom jobs, but what it winds up turning into is usually twice what you'd normally spend on just rebuilding the 318 you currently have, or building a 360 that may be as readily available, and basically costs the same to rebuild plus some minor additions for 360 mounts/flexplate/converter type parts...

I don't think I've ever seen a "cheap" 349 build, unless my search engine sucks...or unless the guy doing it owns a machine shop and the costs can be absorbed.

Any reason why you don't want to build up the 318?

Don't get me wrong, I love these tangents into custom jobs, but what it winds up turning into is usually twice what you'd normally spend on just rebuilding the 318 you currently have, or building a 360 that may be as readily available, and basically costs the same to rebuild plus some minor additions for 360 mounts/flexplate/converter type parts...

I don't think I've ever seen a "cheap" 349 build, unless my search engine sucks...or unless the guy doing it owns a machine shop and the costs can be absorbed.

My original plan was to keep the 3.31 stroke and just bore 0.060 and use the KB 167's (or maybe the KB399's but I think it will be 167's) and my prepped 596 heads, then I got an offer to buy a 360 crank for only $30.... You know what cu does to people.. ;-) så instead of a 328cu it would be a 355cu (with +0.060 bore). Well ok I have found out that it isn't just to swap crank between 318 and 360 so I'm back with my original plan...

I gotcha-it's by no means impossible, but it adds some costs...and depending on your priorities, the may not be acceptable.

With risk to extend this thread in the wrong direction... I going to use the Lunati Woodoo 268/276 cam, any objection from you guys?

He's in Sweden... the cheaper cost will be machine work IMO.

Yes you're right about that... shipping, toll, toll taxes AND tax on purchase + shipping and toll value... tripple taxes so to say.... :-(

Find a 360. I don't care what you do to a 318 you will be disappointed after you waste all that money on it. They were never. Made to be a performance engine. Sorry if I ruffled anybody's feathers.

Find a 360. I don't care what you do to a 318 you will be disappointed after you waste all that money on it. They were never. Made to be a performance engine. Sorry if I ruffled anybody's feathers.

Why are you sweatin' the OP? Sounds more like the thread/question ruffled your feathers more than your reply to his simple inquiry...

Get back to fixing Loco's you!
(inside joke guys)

Why are you sweatin' the OP? Sounds more like the thread/question ruffled your feathers more than your reply to his simple inquiry...
my feathers are fine! just trying to save the guy money time and disappointment. CARRY ON!

my feathers are fine! just trying to save the guy money time and disappointment. CARRY ON!

I can't really speak for the OP, but I get the impression 360s aren't in as great supply at his locale...otherwise I would agree that building a 360 is the easier way to gain cubes, but if its reasonably available...

Carry on? Really?

I can't really speak for the OP, but I get the impression 360s aren't in as great supply at his locale...otherwise I would agree that building a 360 is the easier way to gain cubes, but if its reasonably available...

Carry on? Really?
I guess maybe that's part of the problem. And I'm not saying 318s are bad engines, just
Not worth it from a performance standpoint.

-
Back