360 head bolts

-

amazon69

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm putting together my first 360 engine. It's an LA engine, late 80's block. All done by the book, all going well. After I'd put the factory heads on I saw in the gasket set instructions to seal most of the head bolts because they go into the water jacket. (Which, btw, seems nuts) There was no mention of that in my rebuild book. I'm not against taking the heads off again to redo the bolts but the fact it's not mentioned in my book makes me wonder if I really need to? Cheers

The LA engines don't have the head bolt holes going into the water jacket. I know that the Chevy engines do so that statement might just be a blanket statement on all the gasket set instructions. Just make sure that you use the proper assembly lube on the threads and under the bolt head.

Ken
Edison, NJ

Hi,

I'm putting together my first 360 engine. It's an LA engine, late 80's block. All done by the book, all going well. After I'd put the factory heads on I saw in the gasket set instructions to seal most of the head bolts because they go into the water jacket. (Which, btw, seems nuts) There was no mention of that in my rebuild book. I'm not against taking the heads off again to redo the bolts but the fact it's not mentioned in my book makes me wonder if I really need to? Cheers

I've built many LA's and never sealed head bolts. Never a leak! 65'

Yup! Blanket statement. Problem found on one make, create a fix, tell the end user to use a sealer on the instructions, place in every head gasket package.

All I ever did was use the suggested oil or lube and follow the torque specs. BAMM! Done. Never an issue.

The LA engines don't have the head bolt holes going into the water jacket. I know that the Chevy engines do so that statement might just be a blanket statement on all the gasket set instructions. Just make sure that you use the proper assembly lube on the threads and under the bolt head.

Ken
Edison, NJ

Let's not go through this again!!! Some do some don't. "I guess" 360s are normally not into water jackets

This is a photo I took. At the time a member here accused me of making this up. What you see here is a 318 LA core with a flashlight going down through a hole in the block. What you see coming BACK is LIGHT through a headbolt hole and the water jacket

mt1r93.jpg

You do not need to use sealer on the head bolts....

The water pump/timing chain bolts and exhaust manifold end bolts/studs yes, but not the head bolts... the head gasket will take care of that if needed...

Best way to solve this mystery is to verify the head bolt holes are infact "blind". Long screw driver/piece of coat hanger works for this, hit bottom about 1 1/2 inches in it's blind, no need for sealer, just don't use too much oil on bolt threads as you could hydraulic the block and crack it, keeps going, it's a thru hole into water; seal or not for your own peace of mind.

Easy-pezie.

If you had chased the threads in the block with a tap, you would have discovered if the holes were blind or thru.

Good luck!

-
Back