360 heavier then 318?

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
as you all know the 360 in my duster is finally alive!!

but.... my headers are almost touching the ground. car sits a good 3 inches lower in the front. is the 360 heavier?

or because it had no weight in the front for 2 months the torsion bars got weak?

i reckon the 360 is a bit heavier but not that much as to pretty much touch the ground

wondering if anyone else has seen this :burnout::burnout:

It is only a few pounds heavier. The rotating mass is little heavier.

Just jp up and down on the bumper. Reset ride height with a 3/4 so met and breaker bar if need be. Same amount of turns on each side counter clockwise to drop the nose. Clockwise to raise it.

all right i will have to give em a whirl. im just not sure why it would be different

well, the hole in the block are bigger...:cheers:

haha wait what my pistons are longer??? just kidding

and i also have smaller tires then whats suppose to be on there so might be part of the problem. i love its low stance but scraping headers on every bump isnt good untill i can afford shorty headers

So are the pistons that fit in the holes...

It should be a little heavier like rumblefish said, but not that much where the suspension would ride that much lower...

Maybe it's the carb.... Two barrel to four barrel... Lol...

Crank up the torsion bars with the torsion bar adjustment bolts like rumblefish said until you like the ride height. Bounce the car front end after adjusting and take for a ride to let the adjustment "settle" after adjusting the bars.

The weight difference between the 318 and the 360 may be insignificant if the 318 had a cast iron intake and the 360 has an aluminum one.

Per chance, while the engine was out of the car did the T-bars come out? The bit about bouncing the car up and down or moving it back and forth helps the front wheels get re-oriented with the pavement better. It's fairly standard practice with any independently suspended front end. Without this, it's impossible to get an accurate wheel alignment reading.

well im using the same intake so only weight difference would be the block. also same carb. haha only sits a couple inches down

and no the t bars didnt come out at all thats too much work! haha

now my next issue is my alternator is pushin 18+ volts. but thats another story

There is a engine weight table online and the 360 is 25 lbs more than a 318.

Mopar Slant Six 475
Mopar 273-340 "A" V8 525
Mopar 360 "A" 550
Mopar 361-383-400 V8 620 (5)
Mopar 413-426W-440 V8 670 (5) (10)
Mopar Street Hemi 765 (690 bare)
Chrysler M4 tank engine 5,244 (87) 30 cyl, 5 banks of 6, flathead, WWII

18V alternator is grounded internally or externally by wiring or bad regulator, bad.

Not sure how a 360 ends up 25# heavier.

Same pieces sans rotating assembly should be VERY close. Crank, balancer and pistons weigh 25 more???

25 lbs for 42 more cubic inches?
That's a great deal and well worth the extra weight!
I'll bet some of the extra weight is in the exhaust manifolds.

yea but what year and what car and bla bla

when i got it out of the 78 pickup it had all sorts of smog pumps and crazy junk.

block and heads with no dressings on top i would imagine should be dam close

If you adjust the ride height it will change your camber. So get the car sitting how you want it, then bring it in for an alignment.

I would say maybe 20 to 25 pounds , larger pistons , longer rods, steel crank vrs cast maybe , truck engine might have a steel crank not sure. Hard to answer for sure.

Changing the ride height changes the tow also, not just the camber.
It will be towed in a little to much when you raise it.

haha wait what my pistons are longer??? just kidding

and i also have smaller tires then whats suppose to be on there so might be part of the problem. i love its low stance but scraping headers on every bump isnt good untill i can afford shorty headers
tti's problem solved

If you adjust the ride height it will change your camber. So get the car sitting how you want it, then bring it in for an alignment.

Changing the ride height changes the tow also, not just the camber.
It will be towed in a little to much when you raise it.

If the car is riding lower now than it was when it was aligned, changing it back will restore the alignment. Of course, if the car can't be raised up to where it was before it will probably need an alignment.

I would say maybe 20 to 25 pounds , larger pistons , longer rods, steel crank vrs cast maybe , truck engine might have a steel crank not sure. Hard to answer for sure.

All 360's were cast cranks. I do believe the block castings are a little thicker, more meat around the cylinders and in the bottom end than a 318. Crank up the tbars a little, check the alignment at home, and drive it!

yea, and the inside of my tire is bald. haha

i need new steering link bushings and lower balljoints then ill raise it a bit then its off to the alignment shop

when they first aligned it they didnt let it sit down all the way so i think thats why my camber was off to begin with

So are the pistons that fit in the holes...

It should be a little heavier like rumblefish said, but not that much where the suspension would ride that much lower...

Maybe it's the carb.... Two barrel to four barrel... Lol...

Crank up the torsion bars with the torsion bar adjustment bolts like rumblefish said until you like the ride height. Bounce the car front end after adjusting and take for a ride to let the adjustment "settle" after adjusting the bars.
Everyone knows 4 barrels are lighter (more holes!)

There is a engine weight table online and the 360 is 25 lbs more than a 318.

Mopar Slant Six 475
Mopar 273-340 "A" V8 525
Mopar 360 "A" 550
Mopar 361-383-400 V8 620 (5)
Mopar 413-426W-440 V8 670 (5) (10)
Mopar Street Hemi 765 (690 bare)
Chrysler M4 tank engine 5,244 (87) 30 cyl, 5 banks of 6, flathead, WWII

18V alternator is grounded internally or externally by wiring or bad regulator, bad.
Is the small block v8 really that much heavier than the slant six? I've always heard the difference was negligible, within 20 pounds depending on exhaust manifolds used, e.g. the Dutra Duals are pretty darn heavy.

-
Back