360 hp

-

jtkaaa07

BossMan
Reaction score
I just picked up a 360 motor out of a motor home, and got the casting numbers off the front of the block, the number is ow360hp0219. From what I can tell it is a HP motor, I can't find anything telling me what the difference between the HP, and the standard 360 was. Any of you guy's know what the spec's would be on this motor?

all 360s are the same...at best if the 360 came with a 4 barrel from the factory it might have a little more camshaft then a 2 barrel 360....heads are the same..crank is the same..pistons/rods are the same..

I Know the rod's piston's etc are the same, I was wondering what the H.P. rating would be. From the little info I found it may have a 340 cam, and bigger valves.

I Know the rod's piston's etc are the same, I was wondering what the H.P. rating would be. From the little info I found it may have a 340 cam, and bigger valves.

seriously doubt, if it is the original engine from a motor home it is going to have 2.02 valves and a 340 cam...

What year is the block? Some of the HP means what you thought ie: bigger cam and the crank although cast was shot peened also. The heads did not have the 2.02 valves though. This engine was designated for use in the '75 and '76 Dart Sport 360 and the Duster 360. The engineers intentions were to build an engine to replace the '74 340 for '75 &'76. There were other small differences but without my literature here at work I can't say what they were. I'm sure if the 360 guys see this post they'll know the rest. Dan

So this h.p is not to be confused with an E-58 cop code motor?

the motor came out of a motorhome..I have own 3 old class C 70s motor homes with 360s in them...all of them had 2 barrel carbs...

In 74 the 360 was upgraded and used the 340 cam (hydraulic), carb and intake and was designated the E58 and had 230 hp net. This engine was used in the '74, '75 and 76 Darts and Dusters. Last year I pulled a 360 from a motorhome and the block casting was dated '74. The internals, heads, intake and carb were the same as the E58 engine in my Sport 360. Dan

According to my how to rebuild a small block book, the 0 starting the casting number means 1980, The motorhome was a 1979-80, It was sitting right next to the motor when I picked it up Saturday. He took it out to put a 440 in it, to pull his Race car, and he said it was allway's a 4 barrel motor,and he bought the camper brand new. He put the Holley street Dominator, and holley 4 barrel on the motor in the 80's . I was just wondering what the HP designation ment, I doubt it's an E58 motor, like the little red express, but I'm assuming it has a little better performance then the standard 360 smogger of that year. Just to note, the camper has just a tick over 50,000 original miles on it.

According to my how to rebuild a small block book, the 0 starting the casting number means 1980, The motorhome was a 1979-80, It was sitting right next to the motor when I picked it up Saturday. He took it out to put a 440 in it, to pull his Race car, and he said it was allway's a 4 barrel motor,and he bought the camper brand new. He put the Holley street Dominator, and holley 4 barrel on the motor in the 80's . I was just wondering what the HP designation ment, I doubt it's an E58 motor, like the little red express, but I'm assuming it has a little better performance then the standard 360 smogger of that year. Just to note, the camper has just a tick over 50,000 original miles on it.

any performance upgrade over a standard 360 of the same year would be in the camshaft/timing chain and/or intake manifold....all of which are bolt on....and went you rebuild that engine are you going to reuse the camshaft, timing chain or cast iron intake manifold??? probably not..

and went you rebuild a standard 360..do you reuse those components >? probably not...so any HP performance is a wash went the engine is rebuild...that is why went something is stamped HP...I dont get excited.

All the motorhome 360's I've seen were built for low end torque and gas mileage.....not high performance use. It obviously didn't have the power he wanted or he wouldn't be swapping it for a 440! Like 70aarcuda said, if you're going to build it, you're going to change those items items anyway.

All the motorhome 360's I've seen were built for low end torque and gas mileage.....not high performance use. It obviously didn't have the power he wanted or he wouldn't be swapping it for a 440! Like 70aarcuda said, if you're going to build it, you're going to change those items items anyway.

Yes, that's true, but I want to run it for a couple summers in one of my dusters just like it is, all I wanted to do was cam it, and put my 4 speed on it. When some fund's free up, I plan on doing a 426 stroker with it. I realize that back in the 70's when they said hp it' wasn't much more, just curious what kind of performance this thing will have on a low budget.

Yes, that's true, but I want to run it for a couple summers in one of my dusters just like it is, all I wanted to do was cam it, and put my 4 speed on it. When some fund's free up, I plan on doing a 426 stroker with it. I realize that back in the 70's when they said hp it' wasn't much more, just curious what kind of performance this thing will have on a low budget.

put a nice hydraulic cam...aluminum intake....4 barrel carb...headers...it will run very nice...
i would check that timing chain and probably replace it while you have the front engine apart...

you might want to check the oil pan....duster will need a center sump pan...dont know what motorhomes have..but pickup trucks use rear sump pan ...and the pickup must match the pan...also...360s are externally balanced the flywheel is going to need to be a 360 flywheel or have one balanced for it..

put a nice hydraulic cam...aluminum intake....4 barrel carb...headers...it will run very nice...
i would check that timing chain and probably replace it while you have the front engine apart...

Yeah, that's what I was planning on, it has a Holley Street dominator inake already, which should work just fine, and I have a 750 Holley carb. I am planning on going with a lunati cam, and dual roller timing chain. I will change out the oil pump too, and re gasket the whole motor.

Don't get carried away on the cam. With those factory dished pistons, it would be pretty easy to overcam it. A 750 may be overkill too. A 650 would be more like it.

I too just picked up a 360 from a motor home '79 with a factory thermoquad 4bbl carb. Is there something I should look at (casting number or something?) A diamond in the rough or a boat anchor? The exhaust manifolds and the converter were already gone and I too will need to replace the pan and pickup. Those holes just under the exhaust ports, do you drill, tap and plug them? Any help out there?
Copper Dart

Don't get carried away on the cam. With those factory dished pistons, it would be pretty easy to overcam it. A 750 may be overkill too. A 650 would be more like it.

Too true! I'd pick something mild,under .480 lift and less than 230 duration. One of the Summit cam's will work nicely if your budget minded.

I too just picked up a 360 from a motor home '79 with a factory thermoquad 4bbl carb. Is there something I should look at (casting number or something?) A diamond in the rough or a boat anchor? The exhaust manifolds and the converter were already gone and I too will need to replace the pan and pickup. Those holes just under the exhaust ports, do you drill, tap and plug them? Any help out there?
Copper Dart

If you want header's,then yes drill and tap those holes,fill em with an allen head plug and thread the plug deep enough to avoide contacting the header gasket.

Diamond in the rough is my vote! More torque than a 318 or 340!

Interesting that the mtor home 360 is 2bbl. That's kinda pathetic actually,considering my 4bbl 360 came from a pickup.

Yeah, I know it will loose compression if I over cam the motor, and I do have a nice 650 vac sencondary Holley I can use for this motor too. I plan on taking a little off the heads to bump the compression as well. From what I can tell the only downfall to the 360 was the lower compression.

Copper Dart

The casting number is right on the front of the block, right under the drivers side head. I have a set of 340 manifolds that I may part way's with if you need some, I bought them at a swap meet last year and don't know if I will use them or not.

Any info on the heads?
? 308's close chamber is used only on the later 318 LA?
It does have a factory 4bbl intake and carb. Was there a Higher Compression 360 used in '79 for campers? Are these heads just junk or are they worth getting worked? Is the money better spent on other heads? Questions Questions Questions :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I dont know why I'm bothering with this motor anyway. I dont need it right now but I still would like to learn about it.
Copper Dart

If you want header's,then yes drill and tap those holes,fill em with an allen head plug and thread the plug deep enough to avoide contacting the header gasket.

Diamond in the rough is my vote! More torque than a 318 or 340!

Interesting that the mtor home 360 is 2bbl. That's kinda pathetic actually,considering my 4bbl 360 came from a pickup.

It has the 4bbl intake and thermoquad <sp> stock untouched. Lots of vacuum lines and the vac amplifier with the lovely air pump too.:D

-
Back