360 Magnum Pictures

-
I'd love to see that!

Here You go. I also found a pic on the web.

IMG_0493.jpg

100338agif_00000002567.gif

A link where Engine Builder mag talks about it.

Line Boring Equipment: A Boring Subject? - Engine Builder Magazine

Can't for the life of me take a decent picture of the roughed in valve job.This is the best pic. out of several. Still need to sweep the chamber and maybe sink the bowl hog a little deeper. Then of course do the exhausts.

View attachment 1715399287

This is fun to watch.
Just for my education , is there any benefit at all to blend the as cast chamber in to the first band on the valve seat, to remove the little step? I'm talking about the area to the right of the plug hole in the picture.

I Know some people, and their son['s] would not approve, but, to know how much to mill off the decks for the height we wanted, we measured how far in the hole one of the stock pistons was, we then pressed it off the rod, and measured the difference between the stock piston and one of the new piston's pin height. We then then did the simple math to set up on the 570. Believe it or not, it came out right. Crude, huh?

No it;s called math and it never fails. Nice job!

This is fun to watch.
Just for my education , is there any benefit at all to blend the as cast chamber in to the first band on the valve seat, to remove the little step? I'm talking about the area to the right of the plug hole in the picture.

Yes sir, it will be blended. My son and I are working around each others schedules, so there will be days when nothing gets done, but we will keep making progress.

No it;s called math and it never fails. Nice job!

Thanks RRR!

I posted that because some on the forum think CNC is the be all- end all, but anybody with actual experience with his stuff knows that you can still get good results with these stone aged machines, if you take care of them and take the time to set things up right. The CNC surely would save time though. I know you and YR and some others get it.

pretty cool if you can do your own machine work, very interesting thread!

Thank you! Back in the early 2000s I was finally going to build myself a good motor. the best machinist around was a man in his 80s. He was the type of guy that if you kept your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut, you could really learn from. Well, he passed away suddenly after a surgery. I told my wife "I don't know anybody around here that I trust to do my machine work." She said "why don't YOU do it?" That got the ball rolling, and I spent my motor fund on my crank balancer.

The old machinist I referred to in my post above just loved what he did. If you saw him in town and the weather was decent, he was in his 30s ford pickup. It looked tame, it was tan with brown fenders, full hood and all. He had an aluminum block, brodix head 13+:1 sbc with mechanical stack injection running on methanol, bought it by the 55 gallon drum. He used an NOS gas solenoid with a small gas tank and electric pump to inject gas to start it easier. He drove it all over, and like I said he was in his 80s.

Hand ported W5’s results.
To bad they gave up the ghost in the pursuit.
DA4244A5-B5BA-4D8C-8797-CD859B6AF6B9.jpeg

So bad you couldn't weld them up and save them??? BTW I have a BFN W5 head sitting in the shop. Never had a valve job other than the crap MP sent them out with. If you need I have it.
Thanks, I’ll consider it.
No welding on this piss poor aluminum.
Brett Miller ported FWIW.

@Mopar Sam I made a mention a while back and I’d like to correct the mistake, your previous heads are in the box awaiting there time.

I wonder if there is enough header flange on the Victor TTI’s to fit the W5 pattern? Anybody know about this?

Thanks RRR!

I posted that because some on the forum think CNC is the be all- end all, but anybody with actual experience with his stuff knows that you can still get good results with these stone aged machines, if you take care of them and take the time to set things up right. The CNC surely would save time though. I know you and YR and some others get it.

Well WTH did guys do before CNC? Old school, that's what. Some argue with the coveted Serdi machine against the old Sioux stone type valve dressing machines. How many millions of valve jobs have been done with stones and are perfectly fine?

Last edited:
Cam arrived yesterday. No other progress. Probably be next week before we do anything else. We planned to work on it yesterday, but my parents are elderly and needed some stuff done so we spent the day with them.

Cam arrived yesterday. No other progress. Probably be next week before we do anything else. We planned to work on it yesterday, but my parents are elderly and needed some stuff done so we spent the day with them.

Good for you. Priorities matter and your parents trump everything else.

We took a few minutes to degree the cam, going to have to order a Mr. gasket offset key. I thought I had plenty of the MP ones, but I only have the 8 and 10 degree ones. Being a budget build, he just has a single keyway timing set. I never had the 3 keyway ones come out right anyway, still always had to use an offset key.

Ok, not much to report except that the cam key finally came this afternoon, so cam is degreed. Cam card said 108 ICL, came in at 107. Now we can put a head on and check PV clearance. Actually need to temp. install both heads to check the intake fit. Will measure for pushrod length too, so they can be ordered. Hopefully tomorrow.

We wanted to check our piston to valve clearance today. We took a couple of old lifters apart and made them solid. We just used some old aluminum tubing to make spacers. Spent very little time doing this, cut the tubing on the band saw. Cut a little long and belt sanded until it fit. As you can see by the "Very-Near calipers" they are about 1/2 inch long. this is 1/2 inch diameter tubing .040 wall.

IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

Left the springs out and put them together like this. The retaining clip will just fit in.
IMG_0539.jpg

Now for the interesting part. This cam is listed as .350 lobe lift, and that checked out good. With stock magnum rockers , we got between .590 and .604 lift depending on what rocker we used! We tried several different rockers after the first one showed the .590. Which equates to 1.68 ratio. 1.72 with the rocker that had .604. I have some 1.6 PRW chevy rockers in the shop, so I tried one of them and came out right at .560 lift, just as it should be.

Now for the interesting part. This cam is listed as .350 lobe lift, and that checked out good. With stock magnum rockers , we got between .590 and .604 lift depending on what rocker we used! We tried several different rockers after the first one showed the .590. Which equates to 1.68 ratio. 1.72 with the rocker that had .604. I have some 1.6 PRW chevy rockers in the shop, so I tried one of them and came out right at .560 lift, just as it should be.
Good info, I'm getting closer to .500 lift on my exhaust all the time...... :)

So now decision time. Matt will probably use the PRW rockers. His springs are good for .600 lift, but I don't think I want to push stock rockers that far. I already have a set of the comp studs, and junk comp magnum conversion guide plates that don't fit. We will have to cut a strip out of the guide plates to get them to align the rockers on the valves, because the pushrod slot spacing is wrong.

-
Back