360 shakes

-

blmopar1

Reaction score
I just recently put in a built 360 that I purchased from someone I know of. The problem is that at an idle in park the motor runs ok until I put it in gear then the motor has a decent shake. Ive heard about balancing problems with these motor .Thanks for any help

It should "shake the same" in or out of gear. Put it in neutral and slowly bring up RPMs looking for vibration. Do this with the engine fairly cool, so that you can pull the fan belts off and run the engine for a minute

Shaking in gear and not in neutral at the same RPM indicates

motor mounts transmitting vibration, IE metal on metal, or other metal on metal contact, engine to frame, headers to steering column, etc

Also a miss. Bad cylinder, bad plug, plug wire, etc. or even carb way too lean on idle mixture

Does it have the wrong balancer or flexplate on it?

Thanks for the different areas to check. I also have a bent p/s pulley that i wounder if that could be contributing to it also

the balancer is the original one but the flex plate was bent and I replaced it

What did you replace it with? Part number or link preferably.

The bent pulley concerns me also. If something hit the pulley hard enough to bend it, that force could have been transmitted to the crank.

ok..does the converter have weights on it?

Was the new flexplate weighted and are you using the 318 converter that was in the car before?

If using the 318 converter, you need a special weighted flexplate or the proper weights attached to the converter.

Sounds like a miss, maybe two. Plug wires could be bassakwards. My 360 will shake until it warms up, probably oil on the plugs. I left the umbrella seals off the exhaust valves purposely to help lubrication, shaking stops after a few minutes.

shot motor mount ? my 410 used to shudder and shake on the brake pretty good until I locked her down with a torque strap .

I am also having this problem with a my truck start her up and she shakes slightly then as she worms smooths out when i push the throttle on the carb she revs very smooth when i get in the cab, Park and Neutral are smooth for the most part but in reverse and drive has a jerking shaking idle and when i accelerate its like a broken washing machine rattling everything worse in low RPMS but still bad in high, have many people telling me this and that and even though i am a rookie with autos, they are stupider than i am telling me its my alignment! no no... but it is a 360 rebuilt don't know what was in it before......was told broken 360.....Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

If it doesnt shake when revved out of gear, it's not the balance. If it shakes when placed in gear, it's probably a tuning issue or vacuum leak.

Now the carb I have on it right now is a old rusty 2 bbl holley and I am wanting to put on an 1406 edelbrock600 cfm carb and by the looks of it I will need a new intake any suggestions on what kind or model that would fit? The 360 motor with the 4 bbl edelbrock

-
Back