360 Stroker Identification

-

Swinger71

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if a 360 has a stroker crank in it from the outside (without a tear down). A guy offered me this 360 and said he thought that the previous owner had it built with a stroker and installed the motor in an old Ram Charger but passed before get the truck finished.

You cannot tell without a teardown. Stroked 360's never came from the factory so all identifying #'s and markings would be 360. you would need to tear a head off or the pan and measure the stroke.

That what I thought. I hoped that maybe the dampner would have been different.

I believe they made both internal and external balance stroker cranks, so the balancer would not be a good indicator. You MIGHT be able to pull a plug and use a long skinny screwdriver but it would be on an angle and wouldn't give a true reading but it may give you a comparitive reading if you checked a known stock 360 in the same cylinder.

You would have to be super careful doing this and it would take two people, one turning the engine over with a breaker bar and one person manipulating the screwdriver so it didn't **** in the bore or hit a valve. if it did, you'd end up buying the engine anyway. :)

-
Back