383/438 Build

-
Sounds cool man-just shoot me a message when you think you'll be headed this direction. I have another 4.6 block and heads sitting on a stand with some heads on it, as a backup, but it isn't anywhere near built yet. I need to balance the recip assembly, get another set of covers, oil pan, gaskets, cams, etc to start building it...nothing special-literally pieces tossed together from other cars, but if I choose/degree the cams correctly, and shorten the runners of a cobra/mach/marauder intake a little, it'll easily run up to 6800-7000

Bad lighting for the pic. It's late, I'm tired. Car sounds viscious! Getting it all setup now. Wiring all a mess, just wanted to hear it. Going to tidy up the engine bay tomorrow.

20181103_224652.jpg

**** yeah doggie. Them valve covers are sweet. Post video of engine running.

Do it.

Do it.

I'll get one tomorrow for sure. I tried to take one today but I was too close and it sounds distorted.

The valve covers are icing on the cake for me. NOS, still in box since 1984. Can't wait to take em for a ride

Well, this is the best video I can get with this phone. I will try and get a better video tonight with my wife's iPhone. I am at the end of the driveway zoomed in, and it is still reacting as though the noise is too loud.

Car is idling at 1050RPM

Setup the Apex hydraulic throw out bearing tonight. Surprisingly easy. I ended up not needing any shims. The clearance range is .150"-.200". I had .150". I went ahead and drilled a dimple into the input bearing retainer to give the set screw a place to seat. Some red locktite for good measure. Gonna stab it in tomorrow and measure for driveshaft length.

20181106_202404.jpg

20181106_202342.jpg

20181106_202350.jpg

20181106_201935.jpg

20181106_202303.jpg

I am unfamiliar with this type of set up.
Where would the whims be placed for clearance, where?

Rear wheels are done. Gonna take the front skinnies now that I know for sure that I like the color. I have always been inspired by the 1973 Duster version of Mopar Missle. The rears are Appliance 15x10 with 3.5 backspace.

20181107_161828.jpg

Are the wheels power coated? That’s pretty cool. I liked when. Rocket racing come out with something similar as an option but I wasn’t sure I could commit to it

Are the wheels power coated? That’s pretty cool. I liked when. Rocket racing come out with something similar as an option but I wasn’t sure I could commit to it

Yes, the color is Dark Bronze. I love how it came out!

Been driving the car EVERYDAY, rain or shine. Once the kids are in bed and the chores are done, I go for about a 2hr cruise. THIS CAR IS SO DAMN FAST.

Issues I am having: The comp cams hydraulic roller lifters are failing. They bleed down after the engine has been off for about an hour. Sounds terrible upon restart. THIS IS MY SECOND SET OF SAID LIFTERS. I have a solid flat tappet cam from Bullet Racing Cams that will be going in at some point in the near future. I went this route because solid flat, and hydraulic roller use the same valve spring rate.

Also, the valley pan is leaking. I’ll be replacing it with a stock style tin gasket soon. The 440 source flat one has not been good for me, I have tried to seal it twice and the leaks does t go away. When I swap the cam, it is going in the trash. It is too thin, and there is no attachment points along the sides to keep it from flexing.

I still need to finish welding the transmission tunnel, and put the carpet back in. Just drove it in 44* rain and wind on Saturday for a Charity Cruise!

I’ll be replacing the fuel tank and adding a sump soon, will be running new line as well. T

D5C2A2C0-EE18-4318-A52A-8EE62235DA6D.jpeg

962439F1-1C5E-447A-AA2D-4518B7C8348F.jpeg

Oh, and still need to put the battery in the trunk so I can finally tidy up the wiring, many things are still in a state of “just get it running and driving”

-
Back