392 Hemi

-

Lomax

Reaction score
I found one of these yesterday for sale. Dont know much about it though, have not gotten to look at it. I dont really know much about the 392's. Are they good motors? are parts reasonable to find and purchase? What is something like this worth?
-Will

you will love the 392 ... parts are plentiful

www.hothemiheads.com bob walker knows his crap

performance automotive warehouse also sells parts for them as well.

there is a book by Tex smith early hemi engines. Or something of that nature. Gives you everything you want to know about the 392

392 is a damn good motor. Major history behind it. Depending on serial numbers and intakes ... the hp can range from 290 to 390 ... Chrysler 300 engines were the cats *** when it comes to early hemi's

Drag racers ran the 392 even after the 426 was out for years.

www.thehemi.com is another forum that deals with everything hemi.

PAW went out of business a few years ago.......

The 392 is the heaviest of the early hemis, but it's still the most desirable. Lots of support, but it's around 100lbs heavier than a 426 hemi and in street trim you'll get similar power to a 440 at a much higher cost. They are also physically larger than a 426..........

The best thing you can do for an old "92" is supercharge it !

Of course...........

As for me, if I had one I'd either build a street rod around it or sell it for A-body parts. As a matter of fact I had a Dodge 325 that I sold for most of the cost of my 67 Barracuda convertible.............

If it turns over and is complete, I would guess not over a thousand. Someone makes an adaptor for a 727. I think about 150.00.

A 392 core that is complete and spins is worth a LOT more than $1k. Closer to $2,500. I got $1,750 for my old 325 (it did have a dual four Offy intake, though).

-
Back