4.00" cranks and windage trays...??

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are you 4.00" crank guys doing for windage trays?? With what pans??

Thanks!

With a Deep Pan you don't need a windage tray...........some will say different. I am living proof you don't!

Well, no motor NEEDS a tray, just wondering what fits as the MP tray sure doesn't with a 4.00" crank.

That said, I was hoping someone (Brian??) had dyno compared or at least time slip compared with and without...

you'll need to grind the tray to clear the rods and need 12 nuts to double nut the tray to the right height then another 4 nuts to hold it there.
and yeah no one 'needs' a windage tray.

if you run a deep sump a 1qt low or so what would work better maybe is a crank scraper.

if you run stock depth then hell yeah the tray will help, so would a scraper, but the tray would keep the windage from draging oil up and all over.

Well, no motor NEEDS a tray, just wondering what fits as the MP tray sure doesn't with a 4.00" crank.

That said, I was hoping someone (Brian??) had dyno compared or at least time slip compared with and without...

Really well ma mopar thought they did any 340 i owned had one from the factory..to each his own....

Well, I have no information to share about before and after dyno or drag strip runs with or without windage trays, so take the following information for what it's worth, which is probably nothing as regards L-A and Magnum small block windage trays.

I have a close friend who runs an H/SA car in NHRA's Stock Eliminator, and it's a fast car within its class (11.30s on a good day.) Problem is, it's a Ford 351 Cleveland in a '73 Mustang.

I witnessed his having acquired a windage tray for that motor, and installing it.

He slowed down .015. Not believeing it, he ran it again; same results. He removed the tray and picked up the .015 that he'd lost....

Disgusted, he threw it away....

Admittedly, it's a totally different engine, and I only submitted this to demostrate that windage trays are not always a good thing... But then, this was a Ford, so, all bets are off...

A 340 with a stock pan is a far cry from a SB with a bigger milodon pan on it.

I know RyanJ has done some stuff and flat out said you don't need one with a larger capacity pan. Sometimes stuff that worked 40 years ago doesn't work as well today, like one posters constant bagging on purple shaft cams. :-D

My issue was not the 4" stroke but the 4 bolt caps....

Tray 1 (Small).JPG

Tray on Engine Try 1 (Small).JPG

Tray on Engine Try 1d (Small).jpg

WOW! Aint that some chit. 4 bolt caps in the way, never thought about that. Yet another pain along the way huh Kory?

With a deep pan, theres no need for the tray, but it has to be a deep pan.

On to the OE posters question!

Will a 4 inch stroker crank clear?

4" Crank will not clear the windage tray! IT MUST BE MODIFIED!! Raised up, clearance d etc.

Just did it on the 318 based 402 stroker I am working on with a STOCK pan. Alot of on, off, on, off and adjusting before it would clear. Had to Shim it Smack it and bend it. FWIW

4" Crank will not clear the windage tray! IT MUST BE MODIFIED!! Raised up, clearance d etc.

Just did it on the 318 based 402 stroker I am working on with a STOCK pan. Alot of on, off, on, off and adjusting before it would clear. Had to Shim it Smack it and bend it. FWIW

Mine cleared - no problem.

A 340 with a stock pan is a far cry from a SB with a bigger milodon pan on it.

I know RyanJ has done some stuff and flat out said you don't need one with a larger capacity pan. Sometimes stuff that worked 40 years ago doesn't work as well today, like one posters constant bagging on purple shaft cams. :-D

what is wrong with the purple shaft cams?

putting together 408 with moroso pan not using windage try...but thinking about using a purple cam.

Hummmmm, OK, what C-rods are you guys useing?

putting together 408 with moroso pan not using windage try...but thinking about using a purple cam.

Q) Heres the funny thing about purple cams....

A) Nothing.

Q) Why do they get a laff everytime someone mentions them?

A) There an old design that has not been updated since they were designed back in the day.

Q) What's wrong with there design?

A) Nothing, but, by compare to todays updated cams, there ramp speed is slow when compared to the aggresive modern designs. Nameing names, Lunati, Huges engines cams, Comp Cam's extreme series.

More often than not, people mistake the XE series cam as an aggressive ramp cam. While there not, they do have an updated timing event design and the split pattern helps with the cylinders balance due to the poorer flowing exhaust port. This is why they make more power than a single pattern cam.....for the most part.

Q) Is a single pattern cam a crappy cam?

A) Alot depends on it's useage. In general, the dual pattern cam will make more power, but not allways the way you may want it. A dual pattern cam is a crutch fixer for the above reason and it also extends the power bands RPM range a few hundred RPM

Theres nothing wrong with a single pattern cam or a purple one at that. They WILL make power and have a good torque curve as well. While the cam size determins alot of this, be prepared for a light switch effect with large cams. Which, is exactly what a drag racer wants. They want it to turn on at a certain RPM so it will converge with the cars converter to launch the car as hard as possible.

Single pattern cams tend to do this and the MoPar cams are the Big notorious for this. They do have a good steep ramp and speed, but it is slower than the new grinds.

Alotta people forget just who designed the Mopar Purple cams. Racer Brown, thank you.

I LOL, at the bashing of the purple cams for the above descriptions since there drag race cams from yesteryear. Perhaps, some of these complainers should try a real serious drag race cam and maybe, just maybe, ethier the light will come on and they'll stop bitching or they just STFU and go cry in a coner when they can't do nothin with a real cam.

Food for thought; http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

now back to our regularly schedule program....

"As the crank turns"

Will the windage tray fit?
Does the world know of a certain rod that fits?
Will someone cut there hand on bending a windage tray?
Will the Hospital except there coverage...???

Stay tuned to the

"Un-Hi-Jacked thread!!!!!!!!!"

I am using Eagle ESP I Beams in the 318 with a Scat 4.0 crank. Modification and clearancing will need to take place. I even had to mock the pan and bend the lips of the tray at the block so when the pan went on it didn't push the tray into the rotating assembly. The tray came off a 70 340.

I'm wondering if the difference with some windage tray's clearing for some guys and not for others is due to some using the 318/340 blocks with narrower main caps and others using the 360 block with wider main caps. Seems as the 360 with the wider main caps would put the windage tray out away from the crank more. I haven't tested this. Just a thought.

-
Back