4.250 340 Crank

-
I think that;s the one Dave used... Do a search for BPE or DJV, His engine buildup is very well documented.

I so look foward to making use of one of these cranks one day soon!!!

If I'm not mistaken dosent this get to up around 429 cubic inches ( depending on bore of course) ? I think this is what Larry Sheppard has been doing , and these things are monsters!

I am currently building one based on a 340 block for myself. The bore will end up at 4.08" and will be 444 cubic inches. Should have enough torque to haul my 69 barracuda around on the street.

Rod

holy smokes...444 cubes? awsome ! I may just have to invest in one of these cranks some day soon.

BPE when you say 340 based build. What do you mean when it comes to a 340 block. Are you using a standard early style block or one of the reproduction blocks . If a standard 340 block what type of strengthening are you doing. What would you suggest as the bare minimum to strengthen. I ask as i could not get your thread or article to load. Thanks Joe

Yeah - Mine is a 4.125 stroke and comes in at 430 cubes with the 4.080 bore..

Let me tell you Rods stuff is top notch - the only parts I didnt have to touch were his crank, rods and pistons - aside from balancing..

I am using a stock 340 block. My recommendation for any build is to always and I repeat always have the block cleaned and sonic checked. I never could understand why people would put thousands of dollars in an engine and not take this critical first step. I mean, you wouldn't build a house on a poor foundation would you? The other thing I would consider is a good set of main caps on 2,3,4 and put studs in the bottom end. Factory blocks really only benefit from the 2 bolt version and in my opinion the 4 bolt is a waste of money. The goal for my engine build is pretty much what everyone wants out of a streetcar. To be able to take it out and drive it on pumpgas, have loads of power and torque to shut down them chivvy boys. :D

Rod

-
Back