4 speed console shifters

-

684mulas

Reaction score
Is anyone using the Hurst 4084 stick in a factory A-body 4 speed console (like the one pictured)? If so, are any modifications required and do you have pictures? I have been keeping a look out for the factory Hurst stick with the curves at a good price but with no luck. If the Hurst 4084 is usable, I would be interested in a used one if anyone out there has one to sell. Thanks

5305384084.jpg

Any one have information on this? I figured I would ask once more before I spend the $85 to find out.

If anyone has a used Hurst 4048 shift handle to sell or loan, I will try it and share the result.

I can't definitively answer your question as I dont have access to a stock console shifter BUT isn't it the case that the lower shaft on the stock shifter (ie. the horizontal section which extends to the right after the end section which bolts into the shifter mechanism) angles forward so as to correctly place the shift stick under the console top plate opening? The lower shaft on the shifter that you're looking does not appear to angle forward at all, so I'd guess that the upper part of the stick would not be correctly centred in the console opening and you possibly would not be able to engage 2nd and 4th gear (ie. the stick would hit the console opening).

But if you've already tried the stick I'd love to know the result.

Did you ever get an answer to your original question as I am looking for the same info. I can't find an original late 68 hurst stick anywhere does anybody have one? This would be the radically bent "C" shaped stick

I never really got an answer but as sydcuda points out, the 4084 hurst will most likely sit too far back in the console to work. Another member posted some measurements a while back.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=29568&highlight=console+shifter+4+speed

I am going to attempt to make my own from other shifters I have by either:

- make a base and weld the shorter shifter to it or,

- bend the longer one which looks as if it will come forward where I need, or,

- Weld a hust mount to the bottom of my factory Inland console shifter like the Corvette shifter pictured.

If anyone has a done this, please let us know.

And, I know repros are available but thats not what I want. If anyone has a factory shifter at a reasonable cost, I would be interested.

hurst long stick.jpg

a8a8_1.jpg

inland hurst.jpg

i have an extra handle that is a factory console unit. Before the world goes nuts asking for it, 684mulas is the one who asked. In the past, I have been kind enough to offer it for sale only to have a bunch of people try to steal (outbid) the original requester's purchase price. It needs rechroming but will work nicely as a driver. It came off a 68 dart/4 speed console car.

All here will cringe if they knew that I had considered cutting it and grafting an E body style pistol grip shifter (a repro not an original) so that it has the proper offsets under the boot/console but has the pistol grip protruding. I'm still considering this too.

684mulas, we can talk by PM if u like. Others please

I also have an extra 4 speed console for sale. Its the silver with black inset stripe down the middle. It has been repainted. Plates have okay chrome with some pitting. Okay for others to PM on the console. I may just go to ebay with it.

Ladies n gents, if all goes as planned, I will have the correct bracket to use a H-rst P-stol Gr-p in an Abody console...centered correctly. Your shifter handle, any stock or P-stol Gr-p will bolt directly to it. No further info is available as of this minute; but will be soon. Regards, [email protected]

I'd definitely be interested in that bracket Paul, would save me a lot of time in fabricating my own. Let us know when you've got them done.

Paul I would be interested to see what you came up with also. 67cudaS was kind enough to part with a factory Hurst and I have it connected to comp plus mechanism. Got any ideas about making console side covers?

Dont worry, I will install the steering column before testing the shifter on the road...

console shifter.jpg

console.jpg

That is a B-body handle. There are two different Hurst A-body console shifters. One is the unit that 67cudaS is afraid the world will go nuts over, and the other looks like this. It is correct for '66/'67 A-body with console.

66 hurst install.jpg

There was a guy on Ebay that made a fiberglass side cover. I`ll see if I can find his signature and pass it along.

That is a B-body handle. There are two different Hurst A-body console shifters. One is the unit that 67cudaS is afraid the world will go nuts over, and the other looks like this. It is correct for '66/'67 A-body with console.

Actually the B-body shifter looks much the same but the base does not go forward enough so it wont fit through the hole in the console. The 66, 67 and early 68s used the inland shifter with the lock out reverse, like was originally in my car (as in this picture). Later in 68 the Hurst with the curves was used. Brewers sells a reproduction of the A-body Hurst with the curves that looks like the one I have now. You can tell the repop because it doesn't say "Hurst".

9aee_1.jpg

Actually the B-body shifter looks much the same but the base does not go forward enough so it wont fit through the hole in the console. The 66, 67 and early 68s used the inland shifter with the lock out reverse, like was originally in my car (as in this picture). Later in 68 the Hurst with the curves was used. Brewers sells a reproduction of the A-body Hurst with the curves that looks like the one I have now. You can tell the repop because it doesn't say "Hurst".

The Hurst shift handle in question at the top of the thread is an aftermarket B-body handle...I have one sitting on my pegboard.
I know Inlands were used in '66/'67/early'68.
Since no one could shift the crappy Inland units, HURST built a replacement shifter for the '66/'67 Inland. The picture I showed is the CORRECT HURST replacement for the Inland in '66/'67 console equipped cars.
In '68 Hust offered the "Hurst with the curves" or otherwise known as the "speghetti" shifter which is the one that Brewers repops.

The Hurst shift handle in question at the top of the thread is an aftermarket B-body handle...I have one sitting on my pegboard.
I know Inlands were used in '66/'67/early'68.
Since no one could shift the crappy Inland units, HURST built a replacement shifter for the '66/'67 Inland. The picture I showed is the CORRECT HURST replacement for the Inland in '66/'67 console equipped cars.
In '68 Hust offered the "Hurst with the curves" or otherwise known as the "speghetti" shifter which is the one that Brewers repops.

Oh, yes. Please excuse me. Good eye! I didnt realize it was the actual shift ball you were talking about.

That shift ball, with the fine threads was in my toolbox for over 25 years. It came from my '69 Road Runner. You have one of them too? I am using mine for sentimental reasons. I also didnt realize that Hurst made the replacement shifter you have. I cant imagine there are many of them out there at all.

Ps: You spelled spaghetti wrong (just messing with ya). Thanks, I do appreciate the information.

I just looked at your shifter again and re-read the posting. We are still talking about two different things but its all ok. The thread started well over a month ago. After all this, I know the shifter in the very beginning is an aftermarket Hurst B-body shifter and wont fit an A.

I got ya now! Thanks once again...

I wasn't really tryin' to highjack the thread but I noticed there was a 2.5 month hyatis (pause) and I got all excited about my new bracket. We think we will powdercoat chrome it....eventhough you can't see it under the boot. CAD and all dimensions were finallized today...hoping first run will be Monday ! Don't have a cost yet but considering the US and world economy AND the fact this bracket can be used while running a Hemi, the cost will be under $12,000.

I have a complete non console Hurst Comp plus (About 500 miles on it) and my original early 68 Inland... When I got the car it had the Hurst mounted but I switched to the Inland because its stock and looks cool...

Its not that the Inland is that bad (I find it easy to live with) its that the Hurst is so much better.

Its like going out with a girl that's a 7 then going out with her sister that's a 10... Both get the job done just fine... But one is, well.... a 10.

I have a complete non console Hurst Comp plus (About 500 miles on it) and my original early 68 Inland... When I got the car it had the Hurst mounted but I switched to the Inland because its stock and looks cool...

Its not that the Inland is that bad (I find it easy to live with) its that the Hurst is so much better.

Its like going out with a girl that's a 7 then going out with her sister that's a 10... Both get the job done just fine... But one is, well.... a 10.

That's a pretty good analogy. :toothy10:
I think the Inland is a little better than the FoMoCo unit. THAT shifter is a speed shifting disaster waiting to happen. I am pretty picky when it comes to shifters. I did alot of street racing Pontiacs when I was a kid, and the two worst shifters I ever used were the Mopar pistol grip, and the T-handle that came stock in my '69 Judge. The first thing I did when I got my Judge home was pull that ridiculous knob off and put on a plain black ball. One day 30 years later I was rumaging around in my barn, and what do I run across...that stupid Judge T-handle. Can you believe it? Like a horror movie, it keeps coming back..........

-
Back