4 Speed Reverse Light Switch Resistance

-

pntastar69

Reaction score
I have the 833 trans on the bench. Was dealing w/intermittent reverse lights, It has the 2 prong switch. What is the resistance of the switch when engaged in reverse?

Thanks

It should be very little because it is just a switch to create the path of current to the back up lights. The bulbs are 12 volts so no need to limit the voltage with resistance.

Its just a open or closed switch. Some resistance in its contacts could cause not a bright reverse lamps.

Most likely a bad switch or whatever is hitting the switch is not making good contact. Make sure the reverse lites have a good solid ground.

You must have continuity, resistance does not play in this switch. No resistance is what you want. Do you understand what were telling you! When you push on switch you should have no resistance and a completed circuit. You must look else where for your problem.

Zero resistance equals closed switch. Open switch is infinite resistance.
Typical are normally open switches and normally closed switches, with or without a spring that holds them in at their normal end of movement. The movement changes there condition. There are odd examples too. Consider the reverse lamp switch for automatic shifters. These switches are open at both ends of there movement. Closed condition only in the center of their movement.

Test the switch out of the circuit, its a switch its either wide open, or a dead short.No mystery here.

When in reverse there should be no resistance so current can flow to the light.

Oh yeah, oil in the switch for sure. I'll give Jamie a ring this week. I'll be in his territory over Easter.

Thanks guyz.

-
Back