400 engine

-
Last year I paid $300 for a running 1973 400 and 727 complete 2 bbl carb to pan and a box of stuff including a new fuel pump and a new set of plug wires. Also the ignition controller and harnesses.

Last year I paid $300 for a running 1973 400 and 727 complete 2 bbl carb to pan and a box of stuff including a new fuel pump and a new set of plug wires. Also the ignition controller and harnesses.

thank you`s abound, have not got him to put a price on it yet.

don`t know weather it`ll run or not, doubt it !

seems like hard to find running engine for sale, if running in a vehicle, they want to sell it complete. i'm looking for a running B B , don't care if B or RB can be a cast crank 440.
I have a friend that bought 4 400's from a guy, been sitting in his shop for several years. he gave $1000 for the four, 1 is complete less carb, others are missing heads, pan etc etc. doesn't know cond. of any of them! unless I find something else, I will probably bit on the complete one and just see what I got.
most people in market for 400 want to stroke it, so all them really want is the block which is not really worth much!!!!

The value of a 400 is the block, everything else is garbage, for a racer. Since we're kinda hosed on new race blocks, value is up. With trans, I see 600-1000 for that combo, running or not. It all depends on how badly someone needs it and what the area of the country is. Some places are just lower cost. S/F....Ken M

You can trade them for 8 chickens or 2 cows....

The value of a 400 is the block, everything else is garbage, for a racer. Since we're kinda hosed on new race blocks, value is up. With trans, I see 600-1000 for that combo, running or not. It all depends on how badly someone needs it and what the area of the country is. Some places are just lower cost. S/F....Ken M

x2

They're in the $400-600 range here. For a complete, running core engine and core transmission. If it's in a car driving, it's worth more but I'd want to ride in the car first.

Unless you need the accessory brackets and pulleys I think you're better off looking for a 400 block rather than a complete engine. I saw two blocks recently for $200 each. Both were clean and sonic checked for thickness. That's assuming you are looking for something to build a stroker with. On the other hand, if you're looking for something to drop in and make good power with without rebuilding you'll be miles ahead with a 440.

Core 400 blocks - core blocks mind you not a complete motor - just a core block up in my area (Minnesota) - is $600-$700.. especially if it's a earlier block from 72/73

Core 400 blocks - core blocks mind you not a complete motor - just a core block up in my area (Minnesota) - is $600-$700.. especially if it's a earlier block from 72/73

was just thinking of grabbing it up. already have a r/b 505" in my unfinished fish.

one thing about our hobby and prices, they have never recovered from the falloff economic fall of '08. lets face it.

best way to see the real market is call on those old engine ads, see if it sold and ask what he got. yes some people will tell ya non e of your business, but many will spill the beans honestly.

yes prices vary a lot form different parts of the country for sure. seems like the rule has always been, engine stuff is more available in the North and the South yields more sheetmetal. probably not quit as true as it was decades ago?????

around here, people drag parts cars out of the pastures, darn thing had its carb robbed off it years ago, hood up, totally ruined engine! so goes another engine down the drain! most usable engines are in the hands of the hobbiest, sitting in the back corner of his garage he put there decades ago. find a S B in a pickup here, and it was worn plum out decades back, yiou might find a decent magnum in a boneyard maybe!

I bought a non-running 400 complete for $200 and got a surprise. It had a forged crank which I didn't
know they put in 400's. The crank is for sale as I'm building a 470 stroker.

I bought a non-running 400 complete for $200 and got a surprise. It had a forged crank which I didn't
know they put in 400's. The crank is for sale as I'm building a 470 stroker.

Was that a factory build or did someone rebuild it at some point? I've never heard of a stock 400 with a forged crank. I'm wondering if someone swapped in a forged 383 crank.

No some 400's came factory with steel cranks, I have two that came out in police vehicles

Late 400 and 440 engines that came in factory manual transmission vehicles should have a forged crankshaft in them.

If I can't get a 383 next paycheck off craigslist for around a couple hundred bucks, I'm just gonna hit up http://car-part.com/ for a running engine AND trans, then have them ship it to me. Then I'll be giving Dr. Diff a call when I get my taxes. =)

Hell, there's a dude over in Napa who wants $1500 for a 383 that last ran in the 80's! I suspect that he's gonna be sitting on that for a while if he don't come down on price...

I want to go with a 383 because it seems that almost everyone and their brother wants a 400.

Considering they made something in the order of 4 million 383's, they should be cheap and easy to get. No one has wanted them or the 400 for years. My last 400 was $200, complete running engine, the other was an $800 Córdoba. P code, HD 727, 9-1/4 suregrip equipped 3.23. (Now 3.55)

Considering they made something in the order of 4 million 383's, they should be cheap and easy to get. No one has wanted them or the 400 for years. My last 400 was $200, complete running engine, the other was an $800 Córdoba. P code, HD 727, 9-1/4 suregrip equipped 3.23. (Now 3.55)

yea, I was just curious on the price . all, I would be interested in is the block and trans.

these engines are what> 40- 50 years old. and every old engine you drag home and take apart will not be buildable with reason costs??
I bought other day a complete 400 w 2 bbl, was running engine from P O he got it from, ( condition? who really knows right now).. came WITH A OEM 4 BBL intake. I gave $300. a little high for around here? yes. maybe. now, a 440 cast engine complete, intake down costs probably $ 200-500. would be hard to find one for $200.... only if lucky and LOTS of networking. I rather have the B engine for my purpose anyway.
most buyers for a 400 want just the block to build a stroker. 383 goes to the resto guy building a stock roadrunner. there are buyers for 906 heads, so to say a complete 383 is not worth squat, I would disagree.
as we have all said, this stuff is worth whatever people decide to ask and other guy agrees to pay.

Went out and looked in my motor pile six 400's with thin balancer 11 with the thick one. So they are not extinct but not common.

what is a junkyard 400 w/ 727 worth ? any one ??

I prefer to not pay more than $300 for a core engine but sometimes people ask a lot more for them than that. I don't like to pay very much since I've learned over the years that about 50% of the cores I buy are junk. Even if the engine rotates it could be worthless due to cracks or core shift. I've thrown away a lot of blocks over the years and they are expensive by the time you get to a bare block. If you start with a core engine you have pull it all apart, clean it, mag it, sonic test, etc. It basically takes an entire day of work just to find out if the core is any good or not.

-
Back