400 low buck dont give a

-
Earthmover, I'm a new guy on this website and I've been reading your thread. Interesting build man! Almost 40 years ago now the Chrysler factory engineers put a duster together with a basically stock 400 and TF 727. With a few tweaks and tuning it went 12.90s in the 1/4, IIRC. Seems like the build was in Car Craft mag or maybe the old Mopar performance manuals. Should be a lot of fun regardless!

Earthmover, I'm a new guy on this website and I've been reading your thread. Interesting build man! Almost 40 years ago now the Chrysler factory engineers put a duster together with a basically stock 400 and TF 727. With a few tweaks and tuning it went 12.90s in the 1/4, IIRC. Seems like the build was in Car Craft mag or maybe the old Mopar performance manuals. Should be a lot of fun regardless!

Good memory, I remember reading that as a teenager. Car Craft wrote, Direct Connection tuned a Duster, with that combination.

Good memory, I remember reading that as a teenager. Car Craft wrote, Direct Connection tuned a Duster, with that combination.

I had both of the DC Performance Manuals ( Engine & Chassis) at one time, don't know where they went. They had a lot of good information from the factory engineers although technology now has probably rendered most of it obsolete. Still, would make for a cool old school ride!

I had both of the DC Performance Manuals ( Engine & Chassis) at one time, don't know where they went. They had a lot of good information from the factory engineers although technology now has probably rendered most of it obsolete. Still, would make for a cool old school ride!

Negative. They are still available in their latest incarnation. Their ninth edition I believe is the latest. Check Mancini Racing. They have them.

Not really obsolete tech,on a budget.The chassis one is still available, the basic engine one as well. The GOOD D.C. tuning manual,is obsolete and hard to find.(mid - late 70's? I have access to a '75 manual, the tech in it is awesomely mind numbing good.)

I have these books. Nothing really obsolete. Most of the modern books being put out are based on these books.

ok, ok, ok, here's what ya do..... Shave the heads bring up the compression. Use what ever gasket you want as long as it figures into you compression figures. While your at it polish the combustion chambers. Bring the compression as close to 10:0:1 as possible with out going over. Check your valve clearance cut pockets in the piston if more lift is needed. Use something like the 509 cam. Holly single plane street dominator intake. 750 cfm. vac. and get the spring kit to adjust the secondairs opening rate.

Negative. They are still available in their latest incarnation. Their ninth edition I believe is the latest. Check Mancini Racing. They have them.

Thanks man. I just ran across them at Mancini's a little bit ago.

Hey Earthmover, how's it going man?

Do a search,as he posted video of the car running last week.:burnout:

That video is of his chassis car. Not the low buck engine in his other duster. Glad to see he has the big engine running though. Sounds very good.

Just checking in. I know you have been busy with your chassis car earthmover, I am just a little anxious to hear this one fire off.

I was down at his house on the 4th and the motor is in the duster and was sitting out side his shop. so was the chassis car. they should both be inside now that he cleaned up the mess from the party. he has a set of b-body headers I gave him to install in the duster so it shouldn't be long till it's ready to fire up.

The suspense is killing me. Has it been fired up yet? Any burnouts yet? Video?

Hey guys sorry I fell off on this thing..I've been working hard on the chassis car and working in and out of town. ..the chassis car has been fighting me all the way it seems so this kinda fell on the back burner. .but I plan to take a little break on the chassis car and get on this ..things I have to get done on it

Pulled motor back out put deep oil pan on it..
Rebuild the Trans I have the parts for it and a rev. Valve body to go in it.
Get rear set back up..
But I am going to jump back in to it and let the other car sit a little while. .

:cheers: This thread has more views than most any other thread on here, by a lot. Over 42,000 views.

:cheers: This thread has more views than most any other thread on here, by a lot. Over 42,000 views.

Your right lol ..I need to get my butt in gear ....I have a idea on a little stuff for this thing it's been in my mind for sometime now so I'm going to make things happen on this ..I really wanna drive it this year ..

Just keeping this toward the front. Don't want it to get outta site.

:happy1:

Late here, but in the D.C. Race Engine builders book, a duster with a 'low-buck' low compression 400, .590 solid, M1 intake, 850DP, 2" headers, converter', and gear' ended up deep into the 11's. The car continuously ran faster with each larger camshaft change.

It'll be interesting to see another old school, 'dont give a' engine up and running.

-
Back