402 ci magnum into a dart. oil pan sits low

-

73_dartfan

Reaction score
with my dad who was a viper and prowler technician. Ase gold certified chrysler tech for 20+ years installed the 402ci magnum stroker crate motor into a 73 dart swinger slant 6 we still have s6 k member. The motor has a center hump 8qt oil pan and it sits dangerously low so my dad welded a piece of steel to the k member so it won't rip my oil pan off. My dad has passed and over the years accidently hitting pot holes or spped bumps to fast has bent the brace/guard back and I recently hit
a dip in road and hit my oil pan for some reason now I'm nervous. What are my options. Is there a different oil pan?

You could raise ride height, taller front tire, thicker torsion bars, better shocks.

You could raise ride height, taller front tire, thicker torsion bars, better shocks.
The slant six bars are as low as it gets. V8 bars, especially the 340/360 bars will be naturally sit higher.

I upgraded to the v8 torsion bars because there was way to much travel in the v6s the whole front end was upgraded to a newer model duster parts for disc brakes and bigger stronger bolt pattern. I'm not sure if the stroked motor can use a 5 at oil pan. Im not sure if it has to be 8 it came that way for a reason I imagine. Not sure though. And if I raise the front end the car seems loser in the front ( steering wise ). I'm going to get pics guys thank you so much im 33 and this is my first project and it had to be a Mopar I'm just green and new to this. Thank you gentlemen

I upgraded to the v8 torsion bars because there was way to much travel in the v6s the whole front end was upgraded to a newer model duster parts for disc brakes and bigger stronger bolt pattern. I'm not sure if the stroked motor can use a 5 at oil pan. Im not sure if it has to be 8 it came that way for a reason I imagine. Not sure though. And if I raise the front end the car seems loser in the front ( steering wise ). I'm going to get pics guys thank you so much im 33 and this is my first project and it had to be a Mopar I'm just green and new to this. Thank you gentlemen

The stroker will be fine with a 5 quart pan. It could run a stock 4 quart and be fine.

MP put that ridiculously deep pan to get a few more Horsepower so they could advertise a certain number. That few horsepower will never be missed as you burn rubber trying to get your car to hook up on the street.

My friend was one of the larger MP salespeople in the country. He told many people to ditch the pan and they have been fine. He knew exactly why they put that pan on there.

You can get a Milodon Low Pro pan too.

A 4.00" stroker is motor with a crank that has it's rod journal made 0.220" further out. Tiny less than a 1/4". That results in 0.440" more stroke than a 360 crank. That's it.

The dimensions of everthing else are basically the same as a 360 in truck.

I run a 5 qt stock pan with windage tray on my magnum 360. I add a half qt extra oil at the track and have no issues going to 6K all day.
When you change the ride height it also changes the toe setting and is the likely cause of loose steering when you raise it up.

-
Back