408 Build Thread

-
Stay motivated my friend. I need to find time to figure out a few issues with mine, but always doing for others or spending time with wife.

looking for a set of 1998 -2000 edelbrock heads for magnum engine , bare and ported or not if you are done with small blocks or just done building cars , need them for a new magnum build

is this an LA block or a magnum block with LA intake and LA timing cover and high volume water pumo?

It's a 1990 360 LA roller block

looking for a set of 1998 -2000 edelbrock heads for magnum engine , bare and ported or not if you are done with small blocks or just done building cars , need them for a new magnum build

No, I'm not interested in parting it out?!?! It'll be on the road this summer.

It'll be on the road this summer.
Can't wait brother. Finally got my FiTech fuel injection figured out and front end next. Never seems like I'll be finished, but every accomplishment makes me feel great. You will be ecstatic when you finally get to drive it!

Keep it up brian!! Just read this thread and looking forward to a smokin burnout vid!! Nice work sir!

Well, after five years in the making the stroker lives! This is no April Fool's joke. My friends Tom (member VOETOM) and Adam came over today and we finalized alot of the wiring or at least enough to get the engine fired. Had to play with the timing a little and fix a couple of stuck floats, but this is literally the third try at starting it. We were all very pleased with no surprises.

They are both coming back tomorrow for a little more wiring. Still have to get the old points style voltage regulator converted to electronic and the electric fans and relays have to be wired into the Dakota Digital controller, but those will be fun projects now that I know that the engine runs and is healthy!

Thank you everyone for your patience and support. I always knew I'd get this thing going, I just wasn't sure when. Hot Rod power tour is coming through town on June 10th and now I know that I'll have a car to take out there and not just be sitting in the passenger seat of someone else's ride!

Last edited:
Hell yeah! It's been a LOOOOOOOOONG day but I can't wait to get up tomorrow morning and get back after it.

Well, after five years in the making the stroker lives! This is no April Fool's joke. My friends Tom (member VOETOM) and Adam came over today and we finalized alot of the wiring or at least enough to get the engine fired. Had to play with the timing a little and fix a couple of stuck floats, but this is literally the third try at starting it. We were all very pleased with no surprises.

They are both coming back tomorrow for a little more wiring. Still have to get the old points style voltage regulator converted to electronic and the electric fans and relays have to be wired into the Dakota Digital controller, but those will be fun projects now that I know that the engine runs and is healthy!

Thank you everyone for your patience and support. I always knew I'd get this thing going, I just wasn't sure when. Hot Rod power tour is coming through town on June 10th and now I know that I'll have a car to take out there and not just be sitting in the passenger seat of someone else's ride!

Congratulations! That's what I want to build for my Barracuda! One day....

Hell yeah! It's been a LOOOOOOOOONG day but I can't wait to get up tomorrow morning and get back after it.
I've been working on yanking old front suspension and swapping out K-member today. Tomorrow will be new QA1 tubular uppers and all new everything else. Old upper bushings were trashed, lca bushings trashed and one lca was separated and very loose. After looking at old K, someone had attempted repair of right lca tube, looked like it had waddled out and just dabbed weld on it. Can't wait till it doesn't go where it wants every time I hit a bump or touch brakes. Now maybe I can test out my 408 better, lol.

Brian you've now crossed the biggest hurdle! Congrats brother and keep at it!

We got a little more done today. We got the voltage regulator converted to electronic and modified a stock ballast resistor to provide a full 12 volts to the MSD distributor. Also we wired to Dakota Digital fan controller up and were in the process of letting the engine warm up to temperature when we noticed a small transmission drip.

We have been trying to fix a small leak where the cooling line fitting screws into the transmission body. We've tried a couple of different things including putting epoxy around the fitting and screwing it in and also red Loctite. We thought we had it snugged up tight enough but you never know until the pump starts putting out pressure. So one step forward and two steps back. Hopefully we won't have to pull the transmission back out to fix the leak. We are going to let it cool off and try to snug things up one more time one night this week. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what we are going to do.

Here is a pic of the gauges at a fast idle while it was warming up. Oil pressure looks great and volts were right where we expected them to be. The oil pressure came down a little as the engine warmed and the idle speed dropped. That's about the time we noticed the trans fluid dripping on the floor and shut her down.

727D6CE5-A9D3-4784-A055-C676F77894F4_zps8qyueywx.jpg

Last edited:
I started reading this to gain information that might help with my stroker build. I skipped some pages at the start only to have to go back and read the whole thing. Dude this is a feel good story! Plus it's in my backyard, I'm in Topeka. I'll be in KC for the power tour kick off and planning to slide over to the hpac show also. I hope to meet up with you and see your car in person.

Like I mentioned in the beginning, I'm writing this like a blog trying to keep my interest up. It turned out to be a longer journey than I thought it was going to be, but what the hell, it's been interesting!

I plan on being at the Power Tour stop and at the HPAC show. Come up and say hi.

Like I mentioned in the beginning, I'm writing this like a blog trying to keep my interest up. It turned out to be a longer journey than I thought it was going to be, but what the hell, it's been interesting!

I plan on being at the Power Tour stop and at the HPAC show. Come up and say hi.
I'll do that

Great to see you made some progress. Lots of guys are following along and in the same boat... Time, money, and energy. Looking forward to the Burn-out vid!

A great read! You'll love it when it's done! Wish I saw it earlier, because I also run the kevco pan and very happy with it. The only issue is that the drain plug is outside the sump area. So about a quart of oil remains in it when you do an oil change. After living with it for years I finally welded in another plug. Not a big issues but annoying!

-
Back