426 hemi in a 66 dart??????

-
I have a 440 in my 65 no cutting of the inner fender wells, stock front end.

Do you have pics? I am working on sticking a 383 in a 65 for a friend and some pics would be nice to see. The inner fenders aren't as important on this car, but I didn't want to cut mine up as much as it would have taken to put the 440 in my car, the engine fit in there, but I couldn't get good flowing headers to fit without butchering the inner fenders.

Well actually I am moving the k forward 6-8 inches, adding coilovers and rack n pinion. Engine will be in the "stock" location based off the trans mount. Rear is being moved forward also. That 65 hemi cuda is awesome !

I hope John doesn't want to put a Hemi in his red 66'. That thing is perfect the way it is. LOL tmm

I wonder how the old Kid Goat from chicago area from the early 60's did his ? For a little while his 64 was 440 then HEMI ...... you know it had to go the straight axel route to accomadate the exhaust ( torsion bars in the way ) so the kid goat car ended up making an altered wheel base car and also moved the rear tires forward a bunch ,like under the rear seat far ..... AHHHHHH the car I dream of !!!!!!! Oh yeah Hemi ,4 Speed Dana 60 with a 4 link altered wheel base . I have the car but like so many of us no $$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!

This Dart sold at Barrett Jackson last month for 33K Has a 538 Hemi. Purfume pig!!!

Attachments

• 117844_Front_3-4_T[1].jpg
    6 KB · Views: 251
sure here you go, I know a guy doing Snows 65 AWB Dart with a 500 inch blower motor but that's a whole other deal.

Attachments

• DSC01490.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 235
HemiDenny uses all-aluminum motors now (and aluminum Passon
cases on the A833 4-speeds).........Easily as light as a small block.

MillerHouse041.jpg

MillerHouse020.jpg

Actually the years are 67 and older or 68 and newer,I found out while building a Hemi Dart about 19 years ago that the 1967 shock towers had to be moved back to accomodate a Hemi. The 68 and later are a smidge wider. You still cant get your hand between the valve cover and the fenderwell on 68 and ups. I still have an offset brake block if you need one to move that master cylinder.

since no-one inquired about the off-set brake block, what years does it fit , and what all has to be done to use it? what kind off master cyl does it use? school me here! thanks, bob

Actually the years are 67 and older or 68 and newer,I found out while building a Hemi Dart about 19 years ago that the 1967 shock towers had to be moved back to accomodate a Hemi. The 68 and later are a smidge wider. You still cant get your hand between the valve cover and the fenderwell on 68 and ups. I still have an offset brake block if you need one to move that master cylinder.

since no-one inquired about the off-set brake block, what years does it fit , and what all has to be done to use it? what kind of master cyl does it use? school me here! thanks, bob:coffee2:

The problem is you can't just cut the one fenderwell and offset the engine that far to the right of the car, it will need to be more centered up than that, the original engine is offset, but the Hemi is just too heavy to be offset that far, you'll end up with steering problems and suspension problems.

Ok, I think what he meant when he said he offset the engine 1 inch to make more room on the right side is .... he kept the motor to the left as much as possible. In other words the factory offset is 1 1/4 and he only offset it 1 inch to the right.

Also the pic of the "butchered up" engine bay is before the shock tower is welded back in, ....... and there are no huge holes for fenderwell headers either. :D

I wonder how the old Kid Goat from chicago area from the early 60's did his ? For a little while his 64 was 440 then HEMI ...... you know it had to go the straight axel route to accomadate the exhaust ( torsion bars in the way ) so the kid goat car ended up making an altered wheel base car and also moved the rear tires forward a bunch ,like under the rear seat far ..... AHHHHHH the car I dream of !!!!!!! Oh yeah Hemi ,4 Speed Dana 60 with a 4 link altered wheel base . I have the car but like so many of us no $$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!

Could you post some pics of the car?

Thanks,
Mike

HemiDenny uses all-aluminum motors now (and aluminum Passon
cases on the A833 4-speeds).........Easily as light as a small block.

MillerHouse041.jpg

MillerHouse020.jpg

Is that a Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive on the back of that A833? How's the transmission tunnel clearance with one of those critters?

since I was doing some metal surgury when building....I took the liberty to slightly enlarge the tunnel from the trans crossmember to appx 24" back. Without that mod...the engine/trans would have been tilted downhill....and that leads to all kinds of extra issues...header flanges at rear hanging lower and screwed up pinion angles to compensate for the excessive driveline angle...ect

do it right the first time...and you won't have to do it a $econd time

cilck on the build threads below and you can easily see how minor a job it was..... (1st thread...1st page...post 24)

Cool.

I was considering one of the gear vendor's overdrives for my '74 as next year's "money toss". This year's money toss is new paint and a Roots 6-71 blower.

Mine aint no sleeper though (a sleeper hemi duster is cool though). There's no hiding a 6-71 blower, not when it sticks up through the hood :D

now that they are close to being available (i think)...I would consider the NEW aluminum case Passon 5 speed...his stuff is top notch!...and no modification neccassary

-
Back