426 wedge build

-
Hey guys i am new to the forms and Mopars but not to the world of muscle cars. I have a 71 duster, and want to drop a big block in it. Nothing crazy, just a mild 425-450 hp wedge. The plan is to take a 383 block and drop in a 440 crank, making a 426. i am looking at a pump gas combo that will run to 6500 on 92 octane. This is going to be a budget build, with a rpm perforer dual plane, 750 dbl pumper . Not sure if i need to spend the money on Eddy aluminum heads to achieve this or can i do this with warmed over cast heads? I am going to run a solid flat tappet cam, and need to know how much compression can i run with the cast head and Duration at .050 needed to keep it from detonating? Any advice would be great.

Thanks In advance. Sheldon

I'm sorry, but I dont think 1 HP/CI is possible unless you go to 12:1 compression and wind it to 7300 RPM.

Wait, wait maybe I'm wrong!

Never mind.

Yep I WAS wrong, it was 7.85:1 compression and 5200 RPM.

Sorry.

if you have QUALITY VALVE TRAIN and set them up correctly the first time and use the correct oil you shouldn't have to adjust your valve lash often at all. that is a blanket statement. I understand that some combo's require more attention than others. When i built my engine I used the comp cams magnum rockers with there adjusters. I set my lash up for break in .002 tight when engine was cold. broke in the cam. reset lash when engine was hot (was nearly perfect). I put 800 miles on the car and rechecked the lash. only had one rocker that was off by .002. that was most likely me setting it that way. the point is that if you use quality stuff and set it correctly they are nearly dummy proof.

Live and learn! Still considering a solid in the 383

I'm sorry, but I dont think 1 HP/CI is possible unless you go to 12:1 compression and wind it to 7300 RPM.

Never mind.

Sorry.

Lol-what was the final number? Like 450lb/ft and 380hp?

Live and learn! Still considering a solid in the 383

I wish i had ponied up the dough and went solid roller on my build. the short stroke of the 383 loves to rev. especially if you have the heads, intake and exhaust to support it. it just would have cost me another $1000 by the time i got the springs and rockers to handle the crazy seat pressure.

Sorry Fisher, little side discussion:

I looked at the little Lunati solid roller, and even with the shorter total duration on that one, it still squawks a 6400 top end. I bet it would be uber fun on the street...

Solid roller, lopey idle. Good high performance street cam with good mid range torque and horsepower. Works well in 383-400 cubic inch engines. Needs 2500 RPM stall speed converter or 4 speed transmission, 9:1 or better compression ratio, high performance exhaust and 3.55 rear gears.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 261/267
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/237
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .555/.566
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
  • RPM Range: 2400-6400
  • Includes: Cam Only
I see a good bit of people chatting about prep work and routine maintenance for solid rollers though, and that kinda turns me off a little...not only would I spend a good bit of money on the lifters and associated parts, but depending on how much and how hard I drove it, I'm led to believe they'd be coming out pretty frequently for routine parts replacement...maybe I'm misunderstanding the content of the discussion.

Sorry Fisher, little side discussion:

I looked at the little Lunati solid roller, and even with the shorter total duration on that one, it still squawks a 6400 top end. I bet it would be uber fun on the street...

I see a good bit of people chatting about prep work and routine maintenance for solid rollers though, and that kinda turns me off a little...not only would I spend a good bit of money on the lifters and associated parts, but depending on how much and how hard I drove it, I'm led to believe they'd be coming out pretty frequently for routine parts replacement.

i shift my nissan sentra at 6400. lol. i shift my engine at 6800 and she is begging for more. hell i tached it out at 7200 in drive the speedo was still going.

have a look at the new MRL solid roller lifters. no machine work required. they look like the hot ticket.

I have looked at those-I'm gonna guess only the "big" solids require the periodic component replacement. If yours is still beggin for more @ 6800 and that 294S says it's supposed to top out at 6200-man-looking at solids more often.

I have looked at those-I'm gonna guess only the "big" solids require the periodic component replacement. If yours is still beggin for more @ 6800 and that 294S says it's supposed to top out at 6200-man-looking at solids more often.

my eddy heads are ported a bit and i am running a gasket matched m-1. it just keeps pulling.

4:10 rear gears helps too.

Never mind.

Sorry.

Always the jokester. lol

WOW this thread got sideways for a bit.lolol no worries. I ran a Comp 294S in my old 427 BBC combo, i loved that cam, with 4.56 gears it went through the top end at 12.00 @112 mph at 6500 rpm in a 3600 lb car

Crank is magged, no cracks, Eagle H beam rods are here, we are waiting on the Diamond pistons.

The 294S was the cam i had in my 427 BBC i am running a Lunati voodoo solid cam in the 426 Wedge.

Even better. The Voodoo's,never heard a bad thing ,once. Google"Harold Brookshire".

Awesome-can't wait to see some video of this one! After reading this thread and many others pertaining to cam selection, I've started leaning that direction for my 383 build.

Like I said though-can't wait to see some pics/video of this thing

Well the machine work and balancing should start now, will post pictures of the assembly etc and dyno session videos .

This thing is starting to go together quick. Maybe I missed, with all the discussion, but are you going with a solid or hydraulic cam?
This project sure has changed... in a good way. :) I think your original goal of around 450hp is gonna get blown out of the water. :)
EDIT: after reading a few posts up, looks like your getting a solid cam.

-
Back