426 wedge build

-
Well stopped by this morning, painted the motor. Waiting on half a set of pushrods,lol and it will bon the dyno next week. I cant wait.

Monday the 9th. Spoke to engine builder, Pushrods will be here this Friday and we will be running Saturday. Motor is on the dyno now just waiting for parts. Man i am excited.

Yep thanks to the shipping company for splitting the order up, i have no pushrods till Monday now. LIKE FML. Oh well the engine builder isnt too worried thats the main thing, my motor has been hanging on the dyno all week.

Day one on the dyno.

Motor runs strong, very torquey, crisp accelerates very quick. can simulate load and driving conditions on the dyno. will run very nice at hwy speeds, and when you whack the gas the thing will take off.

So far we have moved the timing up from 29 to 32, made one jet change, and tried a carb spacer. The motor loves timing, hates the carb spacer and picked up 10 foot pounds of tq at 2900 by dropping the secondary jet from 87 to 85. So far we have only pulled the motor to 5600 rpm. Motor makes 512 tq at 2900 rpm peak tq 540 tq at 4200 to 4400 then carries 500 foot pounds to 5200 then slowly starts to drop off. At 5600 we are making 510HP. i love the huge tq curve this motor has, its going to be a fun little car. Will put the rings through a few more heat cycles tomorrow then make so higer rpm pulls and see what the motor likes? I am not too worried about peak hp, i would rather have the tq.

I am wishing i would of maybe gone with a holley HP carb, as they have adjustable high speed air bleeds. mine does not, it only has adjustable low speed bleeds. We are so close, that we may split the difference on the rear jet to see if the lean spot goes away? Its not real serious, but just one of those things you want to adjust.

Will post More tomorrow.

Nice! Thanks for the dyno information. My guess, is that spacer didn't line up with the intake plenum. That small stuff,can be frustrating. Nice job!

Well i cant figure out how to scan the dyno sheets so i will give you the high lites. The motor made 520 Hp peak at 5600 RPM, and 552 Tq at 4200 RPM. The torque curve starts at 2900 RPM, with 515 TQ and Makes 550 tq at 4000 RPM carries that 550 Plus all the way to 4600 RPM. It carries 500 ft tq all the way to 5500 RPm its just never stops. we made the last 3 dyno pulls with the air cleaner on that i am going to run on the street. It changed the signal to the point where we lost 10 ft tq at 2900 rpm. A jet change got that back. So the motor is tuned for the way it will be driven, it wanted 32 total timing, 19 initial. The AED HOM carb is the best carb i have ever owned, 3 jet changes from out of the box and we are bang on. Factory jetting was 73 pri with PV and 87 sec blocked. we ended up at 71 Pri with PV and 83 Sec blocked.

So overview.

383 block with 440 crank Eagle h beam 6.760" rods. Diamond 51950 Forged pistons. Aproximately 10.0-1 compression. Out of the box Edelbrock rpm performer heads and intake. Lunati solid lifter Voodo 3 bolt flat tappet cam .544/.566 .243/.251 Comp rocker shafts, TTI 1-3/4 headers, AED 750 HOM carb, motor only used 628 cfm. Nice little combo, mild and make 10" vac at 1000 rpm.

Man that is exciting stuff right there! :blob: Sounds like a fantastic combo and I love that you have a 426. Just soooooo... cool. :prayer:

Torque..it's whats for breakfast..that ought to be a sweet stump pulling beast for the street...I can see the values of 383's going up in value..cant argue with the results...nice package..keep us posted on its future

It wasnt a cheap build by any means, and i am happy i built a 426 and not a 440 451 etc. I like to be different. And yes to have a big block that revs like a small block is pretty cool to say the least.

Torque..it's whats for breakfast..that ought to be a sweet stump pulling beast for the street...I can see the values of 383's going up in value..cant argue with the results...nice package..keep us posted on its future

RB's post ,says it all for me.

A 383 could make the hp your looking for cheeper than your 426 but the 426 low deck could make over 500 with a little work!

LOLOL Tbone. There are a ton of 383 and 440 cars on the street here, i am pretty sure i have the only 426 wedge around. 451 and 512 engines are popping up here too, oh well like i said i like being different. Cant wait to get it in the duster.

Yes kim i will for one of the friday night street machine deals. Not going to go up that far for 3 passes. lol on a sat or sunday.

-
Back