429 smallblock Dyno warmup

-

Dana

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I was in the machine shop last night, the guys were putting the inner springs back on after break-in. They bolted it back together and made a pull from 4000 to 7000. It made 458hp @5400 and 576 lb-ft @4100. With no tune. When i asked these are the specs i got. Hughes 4.180 stroker kit in a .040 over 360. 10.14:1 static with box stock eddy heads, comp flat tappet .552 int. .562 ex. 1.5 rocker. .243 int. .247 ex. @.050 air gap 750 vac sec. 34 degrees total. It idled well at 800 rpm. And sounded great!

the heads are sure holding it back it probably peaked out about 5500 or so awesome torque .

Stock eddy heads on a stroker. Jeez give that thing some air to breathe to take advantage of the arm!

Oh and video or it didn't happen

We desperately need ootb 320 plus cfm heads.

You ain't going to get it with stock rocker location. A W-2 or 5 would be worlds better but guys ***** about the cost of rockers. Ain't gonna happen with the rocker where it sat in 1967.

A 429 Ford with stock iron Cobra Jet heads wouldda mopped the floor with it.

Edelbrock victor for small blocks....
I had originally typed that in and thought twice with the W stuff. But there not sold new anymore so it's kind of out-ish...

A 320 W2 is probably possible and a W5, if good, is 330 & sometimes +.
Problem is getting a good W5.

I don't get why they can get 320 plus out of Chev's crappy 23 degree heads and we can't??

Last edited:
The pushrod placement - as YR said.
For some reason they won't make a raised port head and intake to match. Even the offset push rod hole heads don't do those numbers until a full boogie cnc is done.
Raise the valve cover rail, raise the runner roofs, longer push rods,longer valves, longer head bolts, tall port intakes. Lq9 heads do better than most of what we have.

I was in the machine shop last night, the guys were putting the inner springs back on after break-in. They bolted it back together and made a pull from 4000 to 7000. It made 458hp @5400 and 576 lb-ft @4100. With no tune. When i asked these are the specs i got. Hughes 4.180 stroker kit in a .040 over 360. 10.14:1 static with box stock eddy heads, comp flat tappet .552 int. .562 ex. 1.5 rocker. .243 int. .247 ex. @.050 air gap 750 vac sec. 34 degrees total. It idled well at 800 rpm. And sounded great!
What are those ported magnum heads for?

I don't get why they can get 320 plus out of Chev's crappy 23 degree heads and we can't??

HA! Because they don't. Not without a raised runner and a bunch of work. A decent prepped W-2 will beat the **** out of ANY 23* standard Chevy head.

Again, people are caught up with flow numbers. I remember when a certain engine builder guru was advertising his head as the first head to go over 500 CFM. If you read the fine print of the ad, it didn't do what he was saying, but no one cared because they wanted the advertising $$$$$$$.

Fortunately, like an STD in at a trailer park, other head guys caught onto what was happening and made the fix the add.

CFM does NOT equal horsepower. I know that's thought to swallow, but a well prepped port may flow less on the bench but be faster on the track.

HA! Because they don't. Not without a raised runner and a bunch of work. A decent prepped W-2 will beat the **** out of ANY 23* standard Chevy head.

I agree with YR more than I disagree but this is one where I have to strongly agree. Chev 23 degree stuff has 100 to maybe 1000 times the market and development behind it. Just about any Mopar guy can grab a set of W2's and make 'em flow 290-300 cfm and most of that the cylinder will actually see--'cuz the port geometry is excellent. To re-iterate YR " A decent prepped W-2 will beat the **** out of any TRUE 23* non-RR port Shivvy head" I took some artisitic license of course LOL. I'd love to go nuts on a W2 and see what shakes out--ya know--angle mill, 7-8mm valve stems, dowel shift, CNC bowl/venture shaping, etc... J.Rob

I agree with YR more than I disagree but this is one where I have to strongly agree. Chev 23 degree stuff has 100 to maybe 1000 times the market and development behind it. Just about any Mopar guy can grab a set of W2's and make 'em flow 290-300 cfm and most of that the cylinder will actually see--'cuz the port geometry is excellent. To re-iterate YR " A decent prepped W-2 will beat the **** out of any TRUE 23* non-RR port Shivvy head" I took some artisitic license of course LOL. I'd love to go nuts on a W2 and see what shakes out--ya know--angle mill, 7-8mm valve stems, dowel shift, CNC bowl/venture shaping, etc... J.Rob

I've done some of that work on W-2's, even made them square for more volume. I still have those castings but they are used up.

If I was going to do all that work, I'd find some W-5's that were unmachined. I have one bare casting I can get if I want it, but finding another one has not been easy. I'd move the guides so I could get a 2.150 valve and if I could squeeze it I'd go 2.200 with a 1.500-1.550 exhaust. I'd weld up the spring pockets, run a 5.400 valve and still get 2.00 installed height. There are many things I think I could do with those castings....if the castings were capable of handling it. Hell, I'd like to move the spark plugs away from the intake so the intake seat could be bigger in diameter and deeper without hitting the spark plug hole.

Like you said, there has been 10,000 times more development on the GM crap and that's sad. It's hard to make up for that.

Which Chevy heads? There's many to choose from. LMAO
Like listed, the heads (and blocks) real estate is laid out a little different. The head can be altered accordingly to allow the available port to be expanded on without the "MoPar" issues.

While I like the MoPar heads design better, valve angles, rockers on a shaft, etc... the OE head has a few limitations that aren't fixed in the aftermarket or at least "inexpensive." And that is also a big problem. Tighter than a frogs *** wallets on building cars.

My W2 & W5 heads were purchased bare. Then the purchase of valves, guides& seals. All of that still equaled cheaper than a Chevy head. Now your saying wait, what about the rest? Well, I say the missing parts are changed out in many heads anyway in favor of a better part (valves, retainers and locks) over what came stock. Even if not, the cost difference is small and the part is or can better than a OOTB Edelbrock, Brodix etc...
In many many cases, the springs get changed out to match the cam to be used.
Guess what?!?!
Still cheaper than an Edelbrock head.
And by a margin that ALMOST makes there use easy to do.
The killer part is rocker arms.

However, on any decent or serious head, these costs should be easy to swallow since your building a more serious engine vs. a plain old standard OOTB headed engine.

-
Back