440+Good cam+Good heads=LOTS O TQ

-
Dammit MRL LOL you sure do know how to make some of us po folk jealous LMAO

great build yes... but use iron heads and numbers go down... the advent of nice aluminum heads do wonders for these engines. i would LOVE to have a monster like that... when this ole 400 wears out i will have to keep MRL phone # handy.

They only go down if the builder doesn't match the parts well. Material has NOTHING to do with flow, unless you're talking about the time required to port it. That engine is roughyl 1.16hp/inch. That level of power is made fairly easilly with iron as long as the builder has some talent. But in terms of economy, aluminum will do a good job, for a little more money, and have plenty of room to grow, plus provide the weight savings. Win Win Win. but that doesn't mean iron can't do it.

452 iron 2.08/1.74 valves

OOTB MP 452 Alum 2.14/1.81

Both exhausts flowed with 2" tube.

Lift............452 iron IN/EX........MP 452 alum IN/EX

.100................61/55...................70/57
.200..............130/108.................145/112
.300..............188/152.................205/163
.400..............213/172.................245/197
.500..............227/178.................260/217
.600..............230/181.................276/231

Pffffft.... My engine builder built me a std bore 360 with 555hp..... wait... YOU'RE my engine builder! Lol j/k

Nice 440 Mike! Would love to have that kind of torque.

Haven't cranked my engine yet but can't wait to get it started.

Rodney

Very well done. It looks like it would be killer behind a four speed in a street car. That great torque is probably starting as low as 2400? Lets see, four speed, 3.73 gears, 28 + inch tall tires, A/C for comfort, well thought out exhaust to keep all the power and be stealthy, and 60's tunes!!

Here is a legit question?

How much does the hyd roller help over a flat tappet? Power wise that is - what would it make with a flat tappet with the same specs? Roller cam in one of these engines cost just under $1,000 with the right parts not including rockers

Those are REALLY good numbers for a head, cam, intake 440!

I hope to make 450hp at the crank with my HCI 383..

This will be argued, but IMO a hydraulic roller costs money and power over an aggressive solid flat tappet. It gives peace of mind due to the current over-the-counter (read as cheap API/SAE approved stuff) oil situation. That's it. Solid rollers are a different story. If you're going to buy a roller cam, lifters, and oil pump drive, you might as well go solid. Hydraulics are a waste of money.

Here is a legit question?

How much does the hyd roller help over a flat tappet? Power wise that is - what would it make with a flat tappet with the same specs? Roller cam in one of these engines cost just under $1,000 with the right parts not including rockers

Those are REALLY good numbers for a head, cam, intake 440!

I hope to make 450hp at the crank with my HCI 383..

I second that question, Mike.

HR are not a waste IMO. And they make power over the bottom of the food chain HFT cams. They have a much better ramp and lobe velocity, plus you have the added bonus of less friction and longevity with the more aggressive ramp. HFT cams are ok, but they are the bottom of the barrel as far as cams go. In all my testing over the years I have found that its not always about how much peak power you can make but rather the power under the curve. You might only pick up 15HP at 5500rpm, but you can pick up 50HP at say 3500rpm. Thats where its at. I have had very good luck with HR and even better with SR cams.

HR are not a waste IMO. And they make power over the bottom of the food chain HFT cams. They have a much better ramp and lobe velocity, plus you have the added bonus of less friction and longevity with the more aggressive ramp. HFT cams are ok, but they are the bottom of the barrel as far as cams go. In all my testing over the years I have found that its not always about how much peak power you can make but rather the power under the curve. You might only pick up 15HP at 5500rpm, but you can pick up 50HP at say 3500rpm. Thats where its at. I have had very good luck with HR and even better with SR cams.

I think the hp numbers and vacuum numbers speak for themselves would be hard to get both any other way,

Thank you for the response! I plan on a HR cam in my 438 stroker build as I just can't afford the swap right now especially with HFT springs and parts ordered, I was just curious Thanks for the reply!

DANG SKIPPY! All engines (for a while) have been ether a HR or SR. and will be for here on out for sure.

-
Back