440 harmonic balancer removal

-

slim17265

Reaction score
taking off timing cover to replace with bigger cam. In removing small bolts that hold pulleys on, crank is turning. got pullys off, now I need to find a 1-1/4 socket..but this is a 440 car with a 727 since crank was turning in removing pullys how do I hold crank while trying to remove crank bolt which manual sez in on @135 lb ft ttorque...anybody? thanx

If you have an impact it will remove it. If not fabricate up a metal strap the will bolt to the balancer using one of the pulley bolt holes and the other end of the strap should be bolted to the block or water pump housing.

I've also used 2 longer bolts in the pulley bolt holes, and puty a pry bar between them, so I can hold the balancer still with one hand, and break the bolt loose with a breaker bar and the other. Or you could have a friend help, or use a bar long enough to contact the floor and hold things firm. Just remember to keep the bar close to the balancer..like laying flat accross it, or you'll just bend the bolts or worse..break them off in the holes...

-
Back